Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Few Questions About Lapband

I have been working out and trying to loose weight on my own. Lets face it, it isn't working. I am 4 foot 11 inches and I weigh 200lbs. that gives me a BMI of 40.4. My weight has fluctuated back and forth below 200 to over 200. My husband suggested the Lapband considering my motivation to try and get the weight off.

I have BlueCross and Blue Shield of GA. I can't for the life of me get a "live" person to talk to on the phone to see if the surgery is covered by my insurance. But if it is how long does it generally take to get approved? What all do you have to do to actually get to your surgery date?

Another question is on most of the "criteria" you have to meet it says "over weight for 5 years or more" 5 years ago, I had my daughter, 9 months and 10 days after having her, I had my son.(both were 9 wks premature due to preeclampsia) I had a tubal ligation following his birth. It hasn't been 5 years since I wasn't prego. In this 4 years though, I have done weightwatchers online, Nutrisystem, I've done various "shake" diets, I've even done a few rounds of the "cash-only" adipex doctor. I may loose it for a month or so, but it has always came right back. I always feel like I'm starving on these, or Like with adipex I'm cleaning crack addict.. Anyways my questions is does it have to be a mandatory 5 years? I was slightly overweight after my 2nd child. Would Doctors visits after having her count?

After having my 3rd child I didn't have health insurance until this july. I didn't go to the doctor other than the "cash-only" adipex doctor. How would I prove my obesity is an on going problem?

Is there a long down time with the surgery (like a c-section?), Is there a lot of pain associated? Or are you up and going the next day? I've read some about scaring, Which to me isn't a big deal since I already have a c-section scar.

Sorry if I am rambling! My mind feels like it is blowing up with questions! I know I didn't even cover half of them! LOL

I have blue cross of pa and here were my requirements keep in mind every insurance differs.My surgeon verified my attempts at weight loss.My Pcp never had to notify ins co.I had to have blood work,chest xray,upper GI swallow, meet with a nutritionist, and a Psych evaluation.I started process in April of 2012 and was approved in a day I had my surgery September 6.My surgeon required a two week pre op diet of liquids.My surgery was laprascoptic (I'm probably spelling that wrong lol)I had a lot of gas pain after some people don't. If you have anymore questions I will be happy to help I hope my answers help you.

No clue about the insurance part. Mine was covered by Medicare and they don't have such strict requirements (BMI of >40, or >35 with at least 1 comorbitity). My BMI was exactly 40 (I'm 5'5" and started at 248) and I had hypertension. They didn't require a past history with trying to lose, nor a supervised diet before surgery. Guess I was lucky! My dr also didn't have me on a preop diet (just told me to eat a lite dinner the nite before and nothing after midnight). Had my "lite" meal at Outback! BBQ Ribs! I guess I considered that "lite"!

My surgery was done laparascopic also (I have 5 tiny incisions). Medicare required that I stay overnight in the hospital, which I was glad of because I enjoyed the IV Morphine they were giving me! Preop, the on ly tests I had were blood work, the meeting with the psychologist, nutritionist, and an EKG (no swallow tests). The morning after my surgery, I had a barium swallow before they let me go home. By 11 am the next monring, I was in my hotel room (I'm 3 hrs away from my dr and my brother in law who stayed with me felt safer staying an extra day) and drinking my Protein drinks and Jello. I took liquid Vicodin every 4-6 hrs + my normal pain meds for an old back injury. I was ok that first couple of days. Altho it was uncomfortable driving home the 3 hrs the next day. I think the worst thing was my hunger. I misread my post op instructions and thought they said only Clear Liquids + Protein shakes for 4 weeks. I re-read them like a yr later and found out I could have had full liquids (Soups, yogurt, pudding, applesauce) for the first 4 weeks. A week into my clear liquid diet, I was literally starving, so I added Tomato Soup (1 can split into 4 meals) and thought I was cheating eating a creamy soup! I lasted 3 out of the 4 weeks before I started mashed potatoes. And I lost maybe 2 lbs during this month! The gas wasn't too bad. I started walking on my treadmill a couple days after surgery, very slowly. The pain, while uncomfortable, wasn't anything that the Vicodin didn't help with. I got a 2nd prescription for it the 2nd week. While I don't work (I'm retired Army), I probably would've taken at least week off if I had a desk job, 2 weeks off if I was on my feet all day.

I didn't get any restriction till my 3rd fill (5 mths into it), so I broke all the rules and ate just like I did preband. Didn't lose any weight. Then, after the 3rd fill, the magic started happening! I was full on a toddlers portion. I worked out 3x a week with a trainer (I saw her 1 hr every week. She weighed me measured me, went over my nutrition and then we'd do a workout). I lost weight every single week (sometimes 4 lbs, sometimes only 1, but I lost something every week). After that 1st year, I had lost 80 lbs.The 2nd year, I lost another 25. This 3rd year, I had a minor slip and during the tweaking of my band, managed to put on about 16 lbs back. Today was my first day back with a trainer at the gym. I'm refocused and I'm gunna get off this last 25 lbs (I was 9 lbs away from goal about 9 mths ago, now I have 25). Oh well.

TIP: Don't do what I did and control your weight with vomiting. I ate so fast that I got stuck at least once a day. I think I actually became a bulimic for a couple of years. That's what caused my band to slip. And I'm still dealing with the after effects of that. Not happy about it, but I haven't vomited it a few months at all. I got so proficient at it that I could pull my car over and vomit out the car door in an instant. DON'T DO WHAT I DID. Chew your food well, eat slowly, and stop when your band tells you to.

And the biggest piece of advice: Be patient. You probably won't have any restriction until your 2nd to 4th fill. A few people do, but most people needs a few fills. My doctor only does them every 6 weeks, so it took a while for me to get there. But when I did, it was definitely worth the wait.

Good luck!

Marci

What I did was contact the insurance coordinator of the surgeon who I wanted to do my Lapband. She took it from there as far as finding out if I was covered an what all I needed to do to be approved. She already knew simce thats what sje does all day long. They guided me every step of the way on what I had to do. I was BUSY the whole 6 months with test after test.

My insurance was high mark blue cross blue shield ***. Don't know if that's the same as you, but they approved me right away

Why did it edit out "H.M.O"......lol?

Why did it edit out "H.M.O"......lol?

Bcbs.***. approved me in 24 hours

I have (and work for) Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. It's horrible that you can't get a rep on the phone to answer your questions. It bugs me to see that kind of customer service. I can't speak for other BCBS since we are all separate entities, but for mine the requirements were a BMI over 40 and the psych testing. BCBS of IL no longer requires 6 months of a weight loss program like Weight Watchers. I had my approval in a few days once the surgeon got everything together and faxed in. I always suggest faxing over mailing, speeds the process up A LOT.