Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for DC/MD/VA doctor

I'm a newbie looking for a Lap-Band doctor in the vicinity of our nation's capital. I'll be self-paying so I'd be interested in knowing the price but I'm more concerned that the doctor have a lot of experience.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

I live in Arlington and I used Dr. Elariny who was kind and knowledgeable. But…his office wait time was outrageous (3 hours once). And then when my band slipped he thought I should get a RnY which I was dead set against. After two visits to discuss he talked me into having surgery to fix the band while at the same time have the RnY done. Only my insurance would only pay to fix the band not new WLS surgery. It was going to cost me another $6,000 to have the whole procedure done. I do not have $6,000.

My boyfriend who is a doctor insisted I ask Johns Hopkins for a second opinion.

So now I have switched to Michael Schweitzer, M.D. schweitzer@doctor.com who is great! He has ordered an Esophageal Motility test to see if there is any damage to my esophagus and if everything is ok then he will fix my band and I will be on my way. I have been with very little restriction since July of 2005 trying to get this resolved. I have gained back 37 pounds of the 135 I lost (my surgery weight was 300 lb).

Any way Dr. Schweitzer answers my e-mail personally within 24 hours when every I write him so you can send him and e-mail or go to his web site at http://www.smallscar.com/ . He has a lot of experience and is very easy to work with.

Hope this helps.

Bonnie

Dr. Eric Pinnar in Reston Hospital center. He and his staff are incredible!

He is fabulous, and his program address the whole you, not just the surgical part. They have a great monthly support group, website, and an awesome and responsive staff.

You can PM me for more info.

His website is: www.pinnarsurgical.com

or call at 703-709-9701.

Don't hesitate to mention I told you to call.

I finally got the INAMED site to work for me and it gave me both of these doctors. I will be attending Dr. Pinnar's seminar on 4/18. The person I spoke to on the phone said that I might be able to save $3000 by having surgery at the surgery center rather than at the hospital...all depends on the Dr.'s evaluation of my co-morbidities (apnea and osteoarthritis) in light of my BMI (39.6). I also have made an inquiry of Dr. Elirany but lessIsmore's message has given me pause.

Again, many thanks.

I just want to make it clear to 2 Big Sandy, that Dr. Elariny has been a fine doctor to me except for pushing the RnY and the wait time he has been very good and compassionate. And the time he made me wait 3 hours he did give me a good 20 minutes of his undivided attention.

However having said that, Johns Hopkins is world renown and because they are a teaching hospital they have to charge the least amount possible. Also, by the uniqueness of being a teaching institution they have the benefit of a team of professionals on hand to consult with if they want another point of view. They also have more experience than most doctors in private practice.

I am finding it much better than Dr. Elariny’s practice just because when I have a question or a concern I e-mail Dr. Schweitzer and get his input without having to go into the office. So far he hasn’t charged me either.:)

Let me know if you have any other concerns about either one of my doctores and I would be happy to get back to you.

Bonnie

Bonnie (lessISmore), I understood what you meant. My comment was directed at the office wait time. With the number of skilled surgeons performing this procedure, many factors, including customer service, will have an impact on my choice.

Thanks again!

Another option -

Dr Amir Moazzez

703-620-3211

www.inova.org

I just attended his seminar in INOVA Fair Oaks hospital 2 weeks ago and I thought he was very professional, but really down to earth and open to any/all questions, which I liked. He spent as much time as needed to cover everyones concerns and did not try to sell anyone on anything there. He's highly qualified but still pretty young, he's bright and very easy on the eyes to boot. :eek:

I also like that he only offers 2 surgeries - the band and the RNY bypass - he claimed they were the only two he feels comfortable with performing on his patients, the others out there haven't proved enough to him yet (not to say they aren't perfectly good alternatives, it was his personal feeling at the time).

If I get banded in the states (and spend the $20K since I am self-pay) rather than go to Mexico, I will definitely go to Dr. Moazzez. There was just something about him I really felt good about. That's really important when you're putting your life in someone's hands. I recommend you see all these surgeons, if you can. See who you feel most comfortable with.

Bonnie,

How much do fills cost at Johns Hopkins? I'm moving to Baltimore at the end of the summer and I was just banded 3-28-2006, so am interested in the docs at Johns Hopkins. Do you know if they are taking new patients?

Thanks,

Anna

I am a current patient of Dr. Elairiny's and have experienced a slip. I was in the office last week and he was pushing me to have the DS. I definately do not want the switch and am a self pay. I also found out that when I had my surgery that I was not given a discount by Inova Fx. Hospital when reviewing costs with Dr. E's insurance office guru. I am looking into second opinion at John's Hopkins. I like Dr. E but in retrospect when I would call with an issue it would take a day for someone to get back to me and then to blamed for my slip was insulting. I have been on a soft diet now for 2 months and still have occasional problems. best of luck to you.

Wow that is interesting indeed, I was told by my friend, who is a doctor, that it is a way for the doctor to make money on the side when we pay in cash or do not go through an insurance company. I hate to think of Dr. Elariny like that but two of us with the same “diagnoses” is not a coincidence I think.

Send Dr. Schweitzer an e-mail (schweitzer@doctor.com) and set up an appointment with him. I really like the service there and they are really prompt in their reply’s.

Also, sorry Lookinup, I didn’t respond to your post about how much fills cost, I have not had a fill in over a year so I don’t know but try e-mailing Dr. Schweitzer or looking on the Johns Hopkins web site for a phone number.

Bonnie

Dang, I lost my whole post!

My doctor is also Doc Schweitzer. I love him. He's been my doc since 2001, done my band and my DS. He is so skilled and exceptional I would insist that my loved ones ONLY see him if they were getting something done. He is the Professor of Minimally invasive surgery at Hopkins (which is top of the line as it is) which means almost all of his surgerys are performed laproscopically. He was involved in the FDA trials for the band and helped improve the stitching method. He also teaches other doctors to perform the band, RNY and DS. Last time I was in the hospital he had so many interns, I felt like a movie star!:)

He is truly a blessing to soooo many people.

About the fills, mine are covered by insurance so I'm not sure about the cost.

Lately if needed I have been emailing Pat, Docs assistant, instead of him because he is so busy and sometimes my questions just don't seem important enough to bother him, (even though he says this is never the case) but, if your question is general and can be answered by her (if she is not sure she will CC doc and he will answer it) you can reach Pat at pjordan4@jhmi.edu tell her Rachele on the net sent you!:)

Thank you Bonnie and Rachele for the support/info. I emailed Dr. Schweitzer and plan to have second opinion. I really want the band to work. I will keep posting to keep you and others up to date.

Dr. Elariny did my band surgery in January of 2004. After several fills paid by Medicare he stopped accepting insurance for fills. He wanted $200 cash for each fill which I could not afford on disability. This was not negotiable. He refused to even talk to me about it unless I paid cash. I switched to Dr. Barry Greene and have been very happy. He accepts Medicare assignment for all my appts. including fills. I love his PA, Peter Womack and his staff is much better than Elariny's. Dr. Elariny is a fine surgeon but I think he is rather stuck on himself. Just one gal's opinion.

Hi all,

I got my lapband in Mexico and need a first fill. Who do you recommend? Does Dr. Schweitzer do fills for people like me who had the surgery in Mx?

Thanks,

nuria