Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flavored mashed potatoes

I think it's a great way to treat yourself during the soft stage. It was on my list as well and I add it to my menu once a week. It is a good carb/energy source.

Last night after all your talk of potatoes I had to try some. Bought ready made heat and eat country crock garlic mashed.

Mixed 1/2 cup, with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, and 1 tbs of parmesean, and a little chicken broth (I am still on purreed food)

It was the best thing I have eaten since before the surgery ! YUM.

I think that any surgeon/nutritionist who puts mashed potatoes on a patient's diet during any stage is doing that patient a disservice.

Sorry to contradict you scuuder3 but what YOU think means little when compared to what most band doctors recommend. Because you're here on a lapband board I will assume you either have a band or are considering a band, right? Are you following YOUR doctors recommendations? Or are you doing what you think you should? I have to point out that following your own idea of a good diet is what got you here to begin with and that's true for most of us. It's time to let the doctors steer the boat for awhile, ya know? Tempered with common sense that is!

The truth is, and most of the lapband docs agree, the first 4 - 6 weeks post-op are not about weight loss, they're about healing. Any weight loss during this time period should be considered a bonus. Or a gift. After the healing is plenty soon enough to begin the long, difficult task of changing our behavior patterns and eating habits.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit defensive. It's not because you stated your opinion, everyone is entitled to theirs. For me, the problem occurs when the opinion comes in the form of a judgemental statement. Most of us have been judged for far too long to sit still for it here, where support is what is most needed, most appreciated, and most valued.

I noticed that you didn't give much information about yourself. Wherever you are on your journey, and whatever goals you've set for yourself, I wish you success.

During my mushies I discovered the Country Crock Mashed Potatoes. You just microwave them. The are like homemade and taste great. Even better if you put some RF Cream of chicken Soup over it like gravy. It was so good and so satisfing! I find them in the refrigerated section of my grocery store.

donnab,

i myself, had the rny gbp, my wife has has the lapband. we had the same surgeon. both he and our nutritionist prohibit mashed potatoes from our diet. they do not adhere to a "low or no carb" diet, but are strict as too what types of carbs to eat. potatoes are not in the allowed group. the bariatric center that we used is a highly renowned bariatric center of excellence, that has the benefit of performing thousands of procedures and they have learned what has and has not worked for previous patients. i myself have lost 160 lbs in 7 months without a single complaint or complication.

donnab,

i myself, had the rny gbp, my wife has has the lapband. we had the same surgeon. both he and our nutritionist prohibit mashed potatoes from our diet. they do not adhere to a "low or no carb" diet, but are strict as too what types of carbs to eat. potatoes are not in the allowed group. the bariatric center that we used is a highly renowned bariatric center of excellence, that has the benefit of performing thousands of procedures and they have learned what has and has not worked for previous patients. i myself have lost 160 lbs in 7 months without a single complaint or complication.

So, what do you want? A standing ovation? A pat on the back?

Seriously, congratulations on your weight loss and that you've had no complications (although I fail to see how potatoes factor into complications) but I must point out that you don't have the only "highly renowned" surgeon on LBT. In fact, I had surgery by one of the best bariatric surgeons in the world for both the lap-band and bypass procedures. He personally has done over 3,000 lap-bands and who knows how many GPBs. Mashed potatoes are on his post-op diet in the mushies phase, and if you don't think his nutritionist is strict enough, that's only because you haven't met her! LOL

The key to success with the lap-band procedure is Portion Control. The goal with the lap-band is to lose weight slowly and consistently. My doctor tells me that no food is permanently off-limits as long as the portion is controlled and it's not an every meal, every day choice. The only other limitation is whether my lap-band will tolerate the food in question. I am well aware that if I eat high sugar, high fat, high carb foods I will not lose weight or that the weight loss will be severely minimized. I also know that while YOU are voluntarily giving up certain foods to maximize your weight loss in the shortest possible period of time, your path is not mine. I know I don't speak for ALL lap-band patients, but I don't WANT to lose 160 pounds in 7 months. If I did, I would have chosen GBP.

I think that for you to pass judgement on other people's choices, particularly when they're following a diet prescribed by their surgeon and which is consistent with most lap-band surgeons' orders, is condescending and arrogant. By all means, continue to follow your surgeons' advice, but please show some courtesy to those people who are doing likewise.

It may not sound like it, but I honestly wish you nothing but the best on your weight loss journey. Weight loss and all it's accompanying issues are difficult enough to deal with without the added pressure of judgement or justification.

This is my last public post to you on this subject. If you wish to continue the debate, I would prefer to take it to PM.

No need to continue the debate. The reason I stated were I was at, as far as my weight loss, is you mentioned that I had not posted much about myself. I do not need a pat on the back from you or anyone else thanks!

As for being judgmental, or arrogant as you put it, I may be, my wife says I am :confused:. The fact is, eating foods like mashed potatoes = slow weight loss; there is nothing to debate about that. If it is just during the "mushies" phase then so be it. If you choose to do it forever than good for you.

On these message boards, I read post after post about "not loosing enough weight", etc. And I think most times if you examine people’s food choices you will see why. Even on the rny boards you will hear, "I’ve been on a plateau, can't get to goal." Then you ask what are you eating? The replies come in well I only had 2 ounces of macaroni and cheese, and some potatoes and gravy the day before, etc. Some people say, "I can eat potatoes, bread, etc. just not as much as before and I'll do fine", and you may or may not.

For me, I have eliminated foods that are just not good to eat. I don't do well with moderation, which is why I got so heavy. I have to not think just about now, but 10, 15, 20 years from now when I will be able to eat more, and so will everyone else, band or rny. If I choose foods like mashed potatoes corn, bread, and so on, 10 years from now I may not do well with moderation. So therefore, those foods do not exist to me anymore. I make better choices. I only eat what is good for you, and considered highly nutritious. Some people may choose not to do this, and that is their right. I may be judgmental or arrogant and that is because honestly I do feel that I am right. I have learned there is a right way and a wrong way to eat, and I really do feel that surgeons and nutritionist that allow patients simple carbs and too many starches are doing them a disservice. I am not a surgeon, but I am an intelligent, critical thinking person and have come to this conclusion. If you or others have the will power too always eat foods like mashed potatoes, etc in moderation than good for you, as for myself, I'll stick with shrimp and broccoli.

I hope no one takes offense to my posts.

Tom

I don't think any one took offense (at least to much offense), it was just the way your statement was written that made it sound a bit abrupt and harsh. But I understand where your coming from and you probably didn't mean it to come off the way it did....of course different things work for different people and we try to stay as diplomatic as possible.

As for me, my mom mailed me some boxes of the Betty Crocker mashed potatoes in butter herb and 4 cheese.....yum! :clap2: