Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Fill Or Not To Fill

I was banded in December 2008. I had about 4 fills over the course of a year after my band. I lost about 30 pounds and then my weight loss stopped. I had a another fill and was fine for about 9 months when I started having issues where I was getting food stuck all the time. I started gaining weight and was feeling very frustrated. I went to the doctor and had them remove all of my Fluid. I plan was to actually start from the beginning. I just never felt like things progressed the way I wanted them to. It's been 15 months and I still get food stuck. I take small bites, eat slowly and chew, chew, chew....yet I still get food stuck at least twice a week. That's with no Fluid in my band. My weight has come back and I'm not sure where to go from here.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue. I'm not sure if I should start having the doctor put fluid back in or not. If I'm getting food stuck now...won't it just start getting food stuck again. Has anyone felt like the band just wasn't for them after having the band? Right now I'm really negative about the band and really want to find a way to make it work. I can't believe that it's been almost 4 years and I feel like a failure. I see where so many people are losing large amounts of weight but I haven't. My band is either non-restrictive but food gets stuck or it's too tight and I can't eat anything. I even had an episode after one fill and had to go to the ER on a weekend to have a quick unfill. I couldn't even drink Water.

I'm on the fence on whether I should start over or keep on with the empty band.

Tamra,

I believe you should go back to your doctor and have him do an upper G.I. and run tests on your band. It sounds like you have restriction, even with your band empty, especially with you "getting stuck". You may have an underlying problem with the install/position of your band. The only way to know that is to have your surgeon look at it.

I had to have my band removed because I was having problems with swallowing. My esphagous ultimately quit working and the positioning of my band was off (which with reflux and erosion lead to my problems). I'm not trying to scare you, but wanted you get checked out. My husband is also banded and hasn't had any trouble at all. The band isn't for everyone and regardless of what some people believe it isn't always your fault if you are not successful. There can be underlying issues and EVERYONE is different. You are not a failure, but you do need to find out what is causing you to have issues. Could be as simple as a band slip. Please go and see your surgeon a request a full diagnosis.

I did have a x-ray done two years ago and they said everything looked fine. I was having the same issues then (but more severe), that's why I opted for the full unfill. The doctor's office advised against the full unfill. They said no one had ever done that without there being bigger issues.

I really feel like they didn't believe that I was taking small bites and eating slowly. I even mentioned to the doctor's assistant that I felt that way. I'm just not sure that my doctor's office fully understands me. Maybe I'm not explaining it good enough and honestly, I haven't gone back to them since the unfill. It's $50 a pop when I see the doctor and $150 when I get a fill/unfill (insurance considers it surgery and $150 if my surgery co-pay).

If I'm going to go back to the doctors, I want to make sure I know which path I'm going to go down. Either recommit to fixing this band or throwing in the towel and living with it empty.

Was the X-Ray done with a barium swallow? I too went for over a year without a fill - I was empty and had gotten to the point I couldn't eat anything without it coming back. I was forced to go to another doctor, other than my original surgeon, due to relocation (I moved two years after my surgery which was done in April 2008). My new doctor found my problems. My old doctor always told me that I was the problem. I wasn't "following plan" and it must be something I was doing. I've found out in the last year that my original surgeon is no practicing and at the time my surgery he had done over a thousand - I thought he was "the best" because that is what I was told. I ultimately found out it wasn't me. A second opinion never hurts.

An xray done two years has zero relevance on what you're experiencing now. A lot can happen and change in two years.

You need to have a barium swallow to check your band. You have all the signs of being too tight, and with your band already empty, you need to be sure you don't have a slip.

true

i was fine in green then bam from heat i believe i got tight after almost two yrs of no issues

barium and ugh will tell all

wendy