Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working Out??

How soon can you workout after surgery?

I was out walking the day after surgery. Walking very slowly but walking none the less lol

That's a good question! I am 6 days post op and just went to get my sons school supplies tonight. We were in Staples for an hour and I was miserable! All the signs point to me possibly being dehydrated...but I really felt like crap!

I think it will be a little while before I do much more than walking...but I'm sure it just depends on the person.

Good Luck!

I'm 9 days post op and I'm not able. Walking Around a store yes but exercising, no. I am still having stabbing pain on my left side sometimes.

Pennie

I am as well Pennie..I know that's the side where my port is...is that where yours is as well?

Yes mine is where my port is. I swear it stabs! Otherwise I am doing ok. I am just surprised that 9 days po and I'm still this sore!

I was on a recumbent bike and my elliptical trainer a week after surgery. Only 10 minutes for each one, 20 min total for a few weeks. I really feel like a couch potato if I don't get some kind of workout.

Of course, I wasn't setting the world on fire and even Richard Simmons would have laughed at me but you do what you can.

tmf

It's important to start getting active as soon as possible, but it's equally, if not more important that you do not overdo it too soon or you risk injury. Build up with any exercise slowly, especially after surgery. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I began walking as much as I could the day after surgery.

A week after surgery I was doing gentle hikes and such.

Four weeks out I was swimming and kayaking.

I did however do a little too much a little too soon and as a result popped the stitching around my port and now my port is tilted at a weird angle. I'm assured this isn't a problem as long as its still accessible for fills but my fills apparently hurt more than the average bears.

A month and some change out from surgery I've begun cross fit hardcore circuit training modifying the ab portion of the work out since I'm trying to be a little more gentle on the area now that I know what I did to my port.

Do what you can but try not to be balls to the wall like I was so you can avoid complication.

My doctor told me not to do anything, other than walking, for 6 weeks. I was cleared for gentile swimming at 3 weeks, but he said not to swim laps or anything, just to float in the pool.

I was told to take it very easy for the first two weeks, stick to walking etc. At 4 weeks I was cleared to go back to heavy training at the gym.

It's now been 7 weeks since since surgery and I've gone back to weight training, hot yoga and intense cardio like spin class, running and circuit training the past fortnight.

I have noticed though I've had to cut back doing long sessions as I start to get very dizzy, prob from the reduced food intake. I've found interval training (a minute intense, minute recovery) has been much easier and limited the dizzy spells. Hot yoga I need to have a Protein bar before going.

Best wishes to get back into training. You'll feel much better for the effort and helps the weight start shifting