Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Fills And Going To School

Hi! So I'm getting my surgery done in NJ but I will be going back to school in VA about 10 days after I get banded. Do you think it'd be a good idea to try and find somewhere closer to my school to do my fills or should I just deal with the distance and make the trips back and forth to NJ to get my adjustments? I think it'd be a lot easier if I found someone closer but I really like my doctor and nurse that are here in NJ. Has anybody else had experience with this? And if anyone knows of a good doctor in the Richmond, VA area that would be willing to do the adjustments despite the fact I did not get surgery there then please let me know!! Thanks!!

-Erin

How far of a drive is it? My doc is about an hour and a half away, and I wouldn't trade him for someone closer. He and his office staff really put me at ease.

That being said I am a student also and it would be easier to have a doc closer to my school. Right now when I need a fill or checkup I will pretty much have to miss a whole day of school, that's no good! But I'm not changing.

After care is the key to success with the band! I would stick to the surgeon and staff you like and respect. They have more invested in you than some random doctor close by. Good luck!

How far of a drive is it? My doc is about an hour and a half away' date=' and I wouldn't trade him for someone closer. He and his office staff really put me at ease.

That being said I am a student also and it would be easier to have a doc closer to my school. Right now when I need a fill or checkup I will pretty much have to miss a whole day of school, that's no good! But I'm not changing.[/quote']

The drive for me would be 6-7 hours :/ and yeah like you, I'd have to miss a whole day of school but it might be worth it especially since I like my doctor. Hm...

I am in NJ too and I know that is quite a drive for the fills. But the thought of just having someone that you dont know mess with your band when you like your doctor, I am not so sure of. I would still look for a doc in the area where you will be at school for emergency reasons, have a number to call or something, but I am not so sure about changing your doc completely.

Good luck!

After care is the key to success with the band! I would stick to the surgeon and staff you like and respect. They have more invested in you than some random doctor close by. Good luck!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I don't wanna end up with a doctor I don't like just for convenience sake..thanks :)

I am in NJ too and I know that is quite a drive for the fills. But the thought of just having someone that you dont know mess with your band when you like your doctor' date=' I am not so sure of. I would still look for a doc in the area where you will be at school for emergency reasons, have a number to call or something, but I am not so sure about changing your doc completely.

Good luck![/quote']

Yeah I agree, I'd rather stick with the doctor I know and like. Good idea, I'll try and find someone closer for emergencies. Thanks!!

Like others have said, I would try and stick with the Dr who banded you. Especially because what if another Dr ended up puncturing your tubing? I'm guessing they would say they didn't do it and your original surgeon would probably do the same.

Do you go home to visit at all?

What about asking your current doctor for a recommendation for someone closer to where you'll be?

Like others have said' date=' I would try and stick with the Dr who banded you. Especially because what if another Dr ended up puncturing your tubing? I'm guessing they would say they didn't do it and your original surgeon would probably do the same.

Do you go home to visit at all?[/quote']

That's true...

I don't go home too often because of the distance and also because my class schedule doesn't really allow it. I'd have to miss some school, I think, in order to get up there. But it may be worth it. ;)

What about asking your current doctor for a recommendation for someone closer to where you'll be?

That's a good point, I didn't really think of that. I'll probably do that :) thanks!

Good luck Erin!

I'm also going to be moving a 8 hour drive away from my surgeon, and I called this morning for a recommendation on a new fills person closer to where I'll be.

Good luck Erin!

I'm also going to be moving a 8 hour drive away from my surgeon' date=' and I called this morning for a recommendation on a new fills person closer to where I'll be.[/quote']

Thank you!! Oh wow, good luck to you too :)

Was banned in Dec 2010. I lived in the Virgin Islands and was banned in Daytona Beach Florida. After I had the surgery I flew up for my first fill. Because of the cost I did not return for 5 months. BUT I was fine I stayed in contact with the office, called if I had an issue. My weight loss was slower because of the lack of fills when I needed them but I still stayed on track. I have moved to Florida now, about 9 months ago. And in the 9 months I have had 2 fills. One in December and one a week ago. I would not be afraid to keep the doctor you have. I am so glad I never changed.

Good Luck!!

Was banned in Dec 2010. I lived in the Virgin Islands and was banned in Daytona Beach Florida. After I had the surgery I flew up for my first fill. Because of the cost I did not return for 5 months. BUT I was fine I stayed in contact with the office' date=' called if I had an issue. My weight loss was slower because of the lack of fills when I needed them but I still stayed on track. I have moved to Florida now, about 9 months ago. And in the 9 months I have had 2 fills. One in December and one a week ago. I would not be afraid to keep the doctor you have. I am so glad I never changed.

Good Luck!![/quote']

Wow!! Good job staying on track! I think for the first few times I'll keep making the trip up to the doctor I have now, but I'll find someone near to where I go to school for further down the road and for 'emergencies'(if my fill is too tight or leaks)

Thank You!!