Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I've posted this before and I kind of feel like I'm whining, but I appreciate the offer of help so I'll go on.

My mother died unexpectedly in January and I was dealing with a too tight fill at the time. Between the tight fill and the lump in my throat all I could get down was ice cream. So it's all I ate for a long time. And my sugar addiction came screaming back... of course.

I was just too sad and stressed to care. But now I do care again and I am working hard to break the addiction once again.

In fact, today is my very first day with no sweets at all! I've been a BEAR, but my family pretends not to notice. :phanvan Gosh, I love these guys.. and I don't want to die. So I'll conquer it once again! I have to.

I can't even think one day at a time. Today I made it through one minute at a time.. it made for a really stressful day, and I'm not so sure tomorrow will be any better. But if I can make it through 3 days I think I will have it licked!

What if you satisfy your sweet craving with a fat/sugar free substitute? Here's my belief about cravings...

A sweet tooth is a sweet tooth - unfortunately, it's also one you can't just have your dentist pull. I don't believe that "get it out of the house" is a good answer. If that's all it took, I'd have been thin the first time I cleaned out the fridge. Nor is it a good habit to indulge (as we all know). I think if you crave something you should have it. IME, if I crave something and have maybe 1 or 2 when I crave it, that's all it takes. If I crave it and deprive myself, my craving only gets stronger and stronger, until finally I can't take it and eat the whole thing. My parents both quit smoking cold turkey about 10 years ago. They kept cigarettes in the house, because that made it not so much "I can't have it", but "If I really need it, it's there - but I'm going to try and not need it." I truly believe one of the main reasons diets fail is because people feel deprived, they feel, "I can't have that" instead of "I don't want that" -- double-whammy for emotional eaters!

Wow, long story! In short - my advice - have ice cream if you want it, just be smart about what you have. Buy a low carb version, or some popsicles, or make your own ice cream and use Splenda, sugar free flavorings, etc. You could even use your Protein powder in some of it... two birds with one stone! I don't think the key to success is in "removal" so much as "healthy substitutions". That's why I'm wokring to revert my former Reese's addiction to a "chocolate Protein shake w/ a spoon of low carb peanut butter" addiction.

I'm sure you're not learning anything new here. Just know that you're not alone. You did what you had to do, and now you're ready to move forward. Identify your baby steps and tackle them one at a time. If 3 days w/o sweets will do it for you, then really buckle down and focus on that. You've done great so far, and I'm sure you have only more greatness ahead of you!

Good morning Daisybelle,

Concentrate on the weight you've lost, not the weight you've gained back. We all backslide at one time or another. Just tell yourself that "today is the first day of the rest of my life". No looking back, nothing to gain by beating yourself up. Say only good positive things to (and about) yourself. You wouldn't let someone talk to a family member in a negative way all the time......well, you're "our" family (bandsters) member. :) :)

You are strong; take control again. :decision: In only 5 months after your surgery, you had lost 80 lbs which is phenomenal! :wow2: You can do it again...

I will definitely say an extra special prayer for you today! :)

Go Daisybelle, I agree focus on the positive. You have done an exellent job and I know you will get back on track.

Go Daisybelle:cheer2: Go Daisybelle:cheer2:

You guys are great! :biggrin1: Thank you all.

Wheetsin - for all the months after my surgery I had the same philosophy. If I wanted a little bite of something then I had it. I never deprived myself and it was so much fun and so satisfying to know that I could stop with a bite or two. But this is different. I can't explain how, but it is. I have to avoid the ice cream right now. I am substituting s/f pudding with coolwhip and I've got some s/f chocolates - neither of these satisfy the craving.. actually maybe it's more of a whole I need to fill than a craving. But, anyway, I have them and I use them - crutches because I am crippled.

And I'm working hard at taking back control because, you know, the months after my surgery were the first time in my life I ever felt in control and I want that feeling back. I was happy and confident and emotionally secure and it was great.

So, today begins the 2nd day.. my goal is 3.

Thanks again for the help!

I'm new here. Scheduled to be banded on Monday April 3rd! My start weight is 292 lbs with a BMI of 51.7! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Welcome Crystal (Mom2Blake),

Hopefully, you'll feel right at home with us "crazies". We're here to answer questions and/or offer support. Best of luck on becoming a "bandster". It's the best thing I've ever done!

:welcome:

Ugh, I so need this thread. I was at 335-340 for a while, but over the last month, with my daughter in the hospital and all the stress of moving, I have gone back up to 350. This puts me at a BMI of 60.5. :) And I no longer have a surgery date, but I do have a time frame...Some time in July I will be going down to Mexico, unless some miracle occurs and I can get the cash back together before then.

I actually bought the biggest loser book, and have met my new neighbor who is a personal trainer, and am going to have a completel program setup for me. My first goal is 300. Yes, it does feel yucky to have a mini goal that most people start out at.

My end goal is to be 130 someday. I used to weigh 110 when I was fit and trim. I figure with the aging I have done, and the extra muscle from carrying around this weight, 130 is realistic. I am 5ft4 with genetically big boobs, so 130 should look good on me too. lol

So I haven't had the surgery yet and I have a bmi of 51. I want to track my weight loss at home but I can't seem to find a scale that goes up past 330 pounds. I'm currently 385. Any suggestions? :help:

Thanks everyone!

josette, i have had the same problem. ours only goes up to 335. i had to weigh myself when my daughter was in the hospital.

My very first goal is to register on the scale again LOL Then it is to get to 300. oh my god it will be amazing to register on that scale, and not see ERR as my weight lol

finally a thread that I can relate too I started at 420 before lap band I am know 372 after a year I feel like it should be so much more. Everyone sees the weight loss I can see it a little but I do notice the inches more than anything. Close that used to be tight are know falling off so I see some progress but not enough. I guess I have to put a foot foward and step up the exercise a lot to give my body a shock.:faint:

Hi, It was LapBandTalk that finally convinced me to go for it! and I was banded last Friday, March 24th. You know what did it? The before and after pics that came as a link in a digest sent out by the moderator. I looked at those pics for HOURS and then I finally began to believe it was possible that I can change.

It took about 2 years to hook up with United Health Care (and dump Cigna), had my initial consult with Dr. Snow here in Texas in January at 305.5 pounds, went into surgery at 297, am now 288. Yay! Had a little trouble with heaves on Saturday and had to get to the ER for an IV for fluids and anti-nausea, but each day is better. My starting BMI was 52.4 -- so I'm grateful for this super-sized subset of bandsters with our unique perspectives. Thanks, I look forward to succeeding with you.

My scale goes to 340. Actually it will go higher, but it's only guaranteed accurate up to 340. Right now I have it set so that when it's at zero, it actually reads 7# because that scale runs 7# higher than my surgeon's -- that way I can have some idea of what my weight is relative to his scale, even when I don't have an appt. Lately my scale hasn't been working well (hence the up-in-the-air weigh-in update for today). I step on it and it goes straight to one number and sticks there (which it never does), then I kind of hop a bit and it fluctuates as much as 11 lbs. *sigh* This happened when I was on Atkins and I thought I was stalled for 5 months when in reality I had lost 27# -- for some reason as soon as I stepped on the scale it would go to a number and stick there... in this case a higher number than actual.

If my surgeon was closer I'd call the office and ask if they minded if I stopped in from time to time just to weigh. I can do that at my PCP's office, but her scale (classic slide-type) weighs me as much as 20# more than my surgeon's (digital).

When I get on my digital scale it just flashes "ERROR ERROR ERROR" :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Oh to be able to have that scale give me a number again... (it only goes up to 300)

wheetsin i think maybe you need a new scale girl!! i am with ya on wanting to see that thing read an actual number, not one that says ERR. I hate that. DH weighs himself everyday, and seems to be losing everyday. he makes me insane. LOL

Ladies,

I know how you feel. I guess my goal is get my 350 lbs scale to register. That will be coming in the next few months, no worry...