Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Wheetsin,

I'm sure you've answered this a million times, but I need some inspiration.

How did you break bad habits (aside from the tricks you mentioned above)? I'm so scared I'm falling back into them and I don't want to screw this up.

What do you think are the best things you do that has helped you have so much success?

Well this is an interesting group! I'm a big ole fatty, weighing in today at 299. I have lost 18 pounds in this journey- yeah! I'll keep reading about what's going on here and chime in from time to time. BTW- I have been banded only 15 days, but feel great.

....One reason I waited so long, was because I haven't been banded yet. But my date has finally arrived! I'll be banded this Friday....

Congratulations, Chris! You're going to do GREAT. Are there any questions you have or anything before your surgery on Friday? I remember being worried about whether things would fit (surgical gowns, chairs, etc.). I thought even though they dealt with the morbidly obese all the time, since I was "super" that there might be a problem. Nope. The hospitals are used to people of all sizes and the whole thing was a breeze. If you have any questions or things on your mind, be sure to let us know so we can ease your concerns before the big day. And if you don't, be sure to check in with us ASAP afterwards so we know everything went well (as I'm certain it will)!

Best of luck and speedy recovery,

How did you break bad habits (aside from the tricks you mentioned above)? I'm so scared I'm falling back into them and I don't want to screw this up. Hmm, tough to answer because I don't think I'm at the point where my habits are necessarily broken. I still eat when I'm not hungry, I still order things that aren't the best choice. I probably always will. I do beat it, but only on a day-to-day basis. For me beating it (because until Monday of this week, I had only loose restriction) was a factor of a few different things. One - paranoia that I will lose my band. I don't vocalize that often, and it isn't a constant, but it's there just enough to make me stop eating when I'm no longer hungry, even if I really want to eat more. Sometimes I do eat more, but 95% of the time I'm able to stop. But it's not just the paranoia. So for two, it's also -- for me, once I lose a chunk of weight, it's easy to behave because I'm seeing results and that keeps me motivated. When I'm not seeing results (plateaued, stalled, no changes in sizes, etc.) is really the only time I have a major challenge. And for three, I was fed enough with failing at weightloss efforts that I volunteered to have the first surgery of my life. That was very significant to me. So in that sense, I am propelled by the sense of "dammit, I went through a lot for this, and I'm lucky to have it, and I'm doing a huge disservice if I don't take advantage of it". But don't get me wrong - I don't "diet". I just pay a lot of attention to how much I'm eating and make myself stop when I've eaten a decent portion. Well, until this week anyway. With the restriction I have now, I'm pretty much being stopped more than stopping myself. ;) And you know - honestly, a fourth factor is simply that PBs hurt me, A LOT, and I have a very high pain tolerance. Once you've gone through that, especially a few times, it's surprising how much you'll give up without a second thought or a moment of missing/regret. The first time I tried to eat a cheeseburger post-surgery, I couldn't chew it well enough, and it hurt. I didn't PB it, but it hurt. I've not had red meat since. :)

What do you think are the best things you do that has helped you have so much success? Part of the "success" is just numbers. I had a lot to lose, so I lost a lot quickly. That's really slowed down to a crawl. But if I had to identify one thing, it would be listening to my body when I eat, and really paying attention to when I'm no longer hungry vs. when I'm full. Those are two completely different states. And being an overeater, "full" usually meant miserable, not even healthy full. So I start with small portions, 1 of whatever I'm having... so 1 spoon of veggies, 1 chicken tender. And I eat it slowly, and when I'm no longer feeling hungry I stop. Almost every meal I could have eaten more if I really wanted it, but stopping when I'm no longer hungry really helped me keep it in check. And the other side to that is by only taking 1 of whatever, it's pretty much impossible to start off with too much food on my plate. When you do that, "clean your plate" syndrome kicks in. And you know what? In a wweird "rpud of myself" kind of way, it's awesome to be at a restaurant and have the waitor take a plate away that still has food on it. :)

wheetsin-- since i read the thread i call the doctor and ask him about numbing:eek: and he say their is no numbing just the needle and say to me don not be afraid, for a moment i feal embraced:nervous .

relay the way you describe the fill is great thank you for your concern .

by the way how many opening you have in the surgery and where is the largest one ?

The fill really is nothing to be worried about.

I had 5 openings. The largest is where they put the port, and for me it's about an inch or two below my bra band, slightly off-center to the right. In size it is about an inch and a half long. Three of the other incisions are about an inch, and one is tiny, maybe a quarter of in inch.

A lot of surgeons will place the port/largest incision on the side under the ribs.

Three and a half more days

86 more hours

I can't wait.

I am nervous and can't think of anything else. :faint:

I have not told anyone at work, just that I am taking off next week. My mother and my husband are very supportive of this step that I am taking.

Any suggestions for getting through this weekend without a nervous breakdown? :huggie:

re your questions:

re BMI 34: Obviously a typo for BMI 54 No, not obviously. Lots of people don't know what their BMI is. Sometimes they type the BMI correctly, but mistype on the weight. Sometimes vice-versa. Sometimes they really don't know their BMI and have it confused with, say, their BFP or FM.

re eval to determine need, vs. eval to determine qualification: What is the difference? Psych eval to help determine need would be a session where the patient discusses their eating disorders/behaviors with the psychologist with the goal of identifying whether or not surgery is a good option. E.g. The patient might want to ask, "Do I need this?" and discuss with their therapist. It's for the patient's peace of mind, and to help them talk through their decision. It's a separate meeting from anything with a program psychologist or independent psychologist "approval" for the surgery. Eval to help determine qualification would be part of the "standard" banding procedure, where the psychologist is looking to possibly eliminate candidates who have eating disorders, personality disorders, etc. that would not be conducive to compliance with the band.

PeaCJ- Good Luck and Congratulations!!!! As for this weekend without breaking down start walking. Walk in place, walk around the store, walk, walk, walk. This is your start to a good exercise plan. When there is nothing else to do walk.

Wheetsin- promises promises, I don't need shoes I just need your inspiration. Keep doing what you are doing and it motivates me. BTW you look amazing.

PeaCje,

I just wanted to send you good luck thoughts on your surgery. We had the same starting weight!!!

Let us know how it goes!

Dawn

Banded in Montreal

April 4th, 2006

358/209/179

Dawn,

Thanks for the good wishes. I can't believe that 9 months ago you were as big as me and now you are almost to one-derland! You inspire me!:lost1.5lbs:

Hope we will soon have more in common than our starting weight!

I Love that there is a thread here for those of us conisered "SUPER morbid obese" Sheesh.. as if MORBID wasn't bad enough.

Tracy

:funnypost: :gluck: :lost1.5lbs: