Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Opinions Quickly...

Okay here's the story.. (not Lap Band related, but need help)

Everyone knows my problem with my back. Today it honestly feels better. I went to the Ft. Worth Zoo and walked around for 2 hours, it only bothered me during the time I sat in traffic for 4 hours.

I went to the doctor he told me I needed and MRI, got the MRI then he told me I had a herniated disc and suggested the pain relieving anti-inflammatory shots in my back. He made it sound like no big deal. I agreed. I know I'm stupid for not asking more questions, I was in pain at the time and he made it sound like nothing.

Called back to see when it was going to be and they tell me I have to go to a SURGICAL Center. I'm like why? Isn't this done in office, they said no, they have to have the Fluro (X-Ray) Machine that is at the Surgical Center to do this.

Nurse calls today telling me not to eat/drink after midnight, I'm like why?? I'm not having surgery. She said they were going to do Conscious Sedation and that was part of the anesthesia procedures.

I have an intense fear of aneshesia and I refuse to sign the papers for any type of sedation, I would rather have the pain.

My question is this:

Has anyone else had this done (Injections in spine or other) and did they do any type of sedation?

Did they give you a choice??

I've had CS once and it mortified me when I realized that I had no memory past getting the injection. I am a control freak and refuse to give up control of my body unless it is necessary.

Thanks!

I would think that CS would be beneficial. When you are injecting in to the spine you absolutely do not want the patient to move during the procedure. M

My mom had back surgery about 4 years ago and gets CS and anti-inflammatory shots every 6-8 months. She has never mentioned any trouble with getting the shots but is in a bit of pain for a few weeks following until they actually "kick" in.

That conscious sedation is normally Versed. It is awesome...somewhat like two rum and cokes, but you say the durndest things!! Actually the shots are probably cortisone and they want to hit the right spot. They actually don't kick in for a couple days, and the day after you usually hurt worse than before, but when they kick in it's really, really nice. I would find out how often you need them, and I would be interested what disk it is. Some disks cause discomfort at times, but not all the time. Some disks cause permanent problems. At least they aren't trying to talk you into surgery, so I'm thinking it can't be that bad. Good luck.

Oh, you are gonna have to give that control thing up.

If they are messing around with your spine, you sure as hell want to be sedated. You do not want to end up screwing up your spinal cord because you "jumped' at the wrong momemt.

I'm gonna guess that this is a sensitive thing because they need to do it under fluro, and not something that can just be done with a flashnight and a pen knife, and a bic pen.

Put on your big girl panties, and sign the paper for the entire procedure.

I had conscious sedation for my oral surgery and it totally rocked. The not eating part is just what they do, even they don't know why sometimes. But it's a good idea in case you get nauseous. You don't want to wear the contents of your stomach home on your shirt...

Here's a handy dandy million-dollar secret... If you do get nauseous, pull your knees as near your chest as possible. It works for motion sickness, blood loss, and the stomach flu.

WAIT, what am I talking about? Don't do this! Protect the vertebrae at all costs!

Heal quickly

This is my first post (long time lurker). The procedure is called "facet injections" and they give them in the caudal canal or the epidural space. You don't actually have to be sedated. Women have epidurals all the time in childbirth with no sedation. I had the injections (3 sets of 3) and they did not help. I had two rounds pre-surgery (multiple fusions and bi-lateral laminectomies) and one round post-surgery.

I lived with the herniated disk(s) for 8 years and finally threw in the towel and had the surgery. It's not a perfect "fix", but it sure did help.

Carlene

Lap Band 11/29/04

-84 pounds

I had spinal meningitis as a newborn, and required IVs through my vertebrae and in the Fluid sac in my head. Even with all the things they do to newborns without any kind of anesthesia, they have me some for this because of possible jerking from the pain when they inserted the needle into my spine (to pull fluid). These things can result in paralysis, so for that reason alone I'd go with the anesthia!

Umm... maybe the shots are similar in feeling or location to an epideral? Not sure... but maybe some moms out there can help you out.

My mother had to have cortisone shots once. I don't remember why, but they were in and near her achilles tendon. She's a tough lady, and the shots brought her to tears. SHe had me naturally and said that shot hurt worse than labor & delivery. The needle wasn't a regular needle, it had several needles coming out of the same syringe.

Sorry I can't help more.

The CS is a breeze. I am a nurse and we do this to patients all the time. The reason they do not want you to eat is because even though this is rare with these types of medications the risk is still there for you to vomit and then you could aspirate (suck the vomit into you lungs) and develope sever respiratory problems. I also had CS when I had carpal tunnel surgery. I have the worst and I mean worst recactions to anesthesia and pain meds, and I did beautifully. It was awesome. You do not have that groggy feeling or nausea because the medications are very short acting ( not in your system for very long) apposed to general anethesia. They do not want you jumping or moving all overy the place while they are attempting to place needles into your spine and accidently causing more damge to your spinal cord. When they place the injections into you spine they usually mix it with lidocaine to numb the area they are injecting so you will not have alot of pain to the area when you wake up. Just look at the postive side of this that you have another option apposed to surgery. Back surgeries are really tuff surgeries and sometimes the outcome is worse that what the income was. Not to scare you. Good Luck and you will be fine and running around in something skimmpy by summer :>

Ok, I had both the cortizone shots and the sugery. I did not receive CS when I had the injections, they just numbed the area. My herniated disks were at L5 and S1, low back. Guess it depends on the dr and maybe the spot? My dr had a setup with the flurio in his office. Feel free to PM me if you would like a first hand account.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I have had 3 sets of 3 also. Each time it seems it was done differently. The meds are what you would think of as the 'date rape' drug to be. You wake up, and wonder why they haven't done anything yet. No memory of what happened at all. And no hang over feeling. The only problem I had was the effect of the cortizone only lasted a few weeks. Ended up having surgery anyway. Stenosis of L3/L4, which had to be opened up and pressure released. Hope it works for you.

Thanks Ladies,

I went ahead and had it done today. I did it w/o CS, with just the local. It wasn't bad I was very comfy for a couple minutes when my right leg did stupid things because of nerves, but it was okay.

He did mention something about me having a 40% chance of needing back surgery in the future.. I do plan on finding another doctor, he sucks.