Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Keep Your Surgery A Secret?

I was just wondering if you told your family/friends about the surgery or kept it a secret? I've been struggling with this decision. So far I've told my immediate family, boyfriend and best friend, and they were all very supporitve as I had anticipated. But I'm not sure if I should tell my other good friends or family.

Thoughts? Advive? All is appreciated!

Don't have a surgery date yet but I plan on going public via Facebook as soon as I get the date. I'm not good at keeping secrets from my friends plus I want to tell the world about this experience (good or bad).

I told anyone who asked. They will ask when the weight starts coming off. Plus they don't think I rude when I dont eat their homemade breads or it odd that I don't drink anything when we go out to eat. A few people expressed surprise and concern before. Once my family knew fact they were all good. I had one close friend who kept trying to talk me out of it. Then finally she said" what about me? I don't qualify - I'll still be fat". She was worried about me being smaller then her. She had always been smaller than me. When I told my sister - she laughed and told me she was meeting with WLS that week. She allready had her surgery scheduled. So we supported each other.

I told all my friends and co workers. I felt like it would make me accountable because everyone will be watching.

I told a few at first. I too felt it would help make me accountable. Now that my body is getting smaller, I tell anyone who asks.

I thought it would be fun to keep it a secret, but I can't keep my mouth shut. Good thing I'm not a criminal mastermind... Although I normally kept my past diets a secret so I could avoid all accountability, and so I could fail in secret too. This deal is different and I know I will need the support of all my friends family and co-workers.

I had my surgery on May 18 and I have still have not told anybody. The only ones that know is my husband, mom, and sisters. I don't feel like its anybody else is business. I live in a big gossip town. I think it's just how you feel.

i had to tell my job as i was taking off those days following surgery and well being in my position here, they needed to know why i was off. i also told some close friends and my friends on this forum.

hub told his friends about my surgery because he said he is proud of me. go figure.

all the best :)

I only told a very few select friends and co-workers and of course all of my buddies here on the forum! ;-)

Well i havent told alot of people a few friends my mom my kids grandma and my kids and my sisters my brothers dont know and alot of people kept saying dont get it you are going to be sick or you will be too small but im so glad that i made the decision to do it and it really dont matter what people think at this point.

nope for me only told my daughter and my husband and best friend. Do not want people watching what I eat that would drive me crazy. I feel if I had some ice-cream or something they thought was not appropriate they would be judging me. Had enough of that in my life. Everyone is different you need to find what works for you. My advice is to go slow only tell a few to start and see how is goes. God Bless

Lassie

I've told some family, friends and co workers but sometimes I regret my decision. Today I told a co worker that my PCP has already lowered my blood pressure medicine (I haven't had surgery yet) and her response was "That's great, if you would have started a year ago, you would be at your goal already and you wouldn't need surgery." Grrr!!!! :angry: In some people's eyes everything is easy!

I only told those who are an intricate part of my life- parents, boyfriend, good friend. No one else knows and I don't intend on telling them. I was with one of my extremely overweight friends last month and her mom had gotten gastric about two years ago. The mother had recently asked the friend if she had considered WLS and the friend went off to me about how she's not big enough for that, easy way out, she's going to lose weight naturally, etc. It would have been awkward to tell her, needless to say.

I actually only told a few close family and no friends. It wasn't to just last week at 6 weeks post op when people started to notice that I was losing weight that I told people I got it done. I actually just made a post on Facebook. Alot of people thought I took the easy way out but I don't think people are properly educated on lap band to understand how much work it is. If your proud of your decision that's all that matters.

I too have only told a couple of people, one being my boss as I need time off to get a fill done, then my other co worker who had the procedure done with me, and my husband that is it.

For me, its my journey and there is the odd person who I know will pick me apart, or look me over, and right now, I dont want it, maybe once I get down a bit more and feel more stronger and confident, which is getting there, then I will, but right now...nah..love my friends but not there yet..maybe the odd friend who I see is struggling.

Its up to you, you dont have to tell anyone, or everyone!! Good luck!!