Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Really Going To Work?

I am such a picky eater, I find myself asking...Is this really going to work?

On top of all the other questions in my head, that is the question that worries me more and more as my band date gets closer.

I don't like vegetables except for corn. Not a big fruit person either though I'd rather have a banana anyday than brocoli. I'm a meat and potato kinda gal. Love steak, love chicken, love shrimp. Will eat fish but only if its fried and dipped in 10 pounds of batter. Most of these won't be an option once i have the surgery so I ask you...the experienced...the knowledgable...the great seasoned bandsters..What are my options for food after surgery? Will I be able to survive on such a limited food variety? Does anyone have any suggestions? Contrary to the statement above about being a picky eater my probablem with food have never been about junk food. I don't eat alot of chocolate and can't really afford too much McDonalds for a family of 4 nowadays. My issue with food has always been quantity. The little bit of food i do like I eat until I'm about to puke. Soda has been another downfall of mine but I think I'm beating that addiction since I've almost completely cut soda out of my life.

Kinda long winded but i need help. Don't know if lap band is right for me since my food option are so limited. Then maybe I'm just stressing out for nothing. HELP!

Well, at least you like meat ! That would take care of the Protein requirements but I think you might get a bit crazy only eating that. My doctor says no fruit (so no bananas). I do eat fish (not fried) but I also eat crab and shrimp. chicken, Turkey, Ham, Beef are all ok (on my plan) but I do eat green Beans, cabbage, salad and stuff like that. I do eat corn. My problem now is that my band is so tight leafy vegies now don't do so good and corn can be a problem. You are in for a tough time due to what you like/don't like. Try eating the "diet" prior to surgery for a few days and see if you can deal with it.

I am a picky eater, but I have managed. I am 1 yr post op and down 104 pounds. My doctor does allow soda but only diet and only 1 per day. I do drink Protein drinks ever few days in order to stay healthy. Remember, you don't want to have the surgery and then eat the wrong things. That would create a problem that could get nasty and require you to have additional surgery. Just too dangerous to mess with.

Good luck and hang in there.

Melinda in Florida

Have you had sessions with a eating disorder therapist. My surgeon requires them. One thing that we discussed was mindful eating. Taking one dried cranberry and chewing it 20 times and then swallowing. I really savored that one cranberry more than I would have a whole handfull.

Vegtables. My mother says "No wonder Americans don't like veggies look how they cook them!" New to the market is mini sweet peppers, fabulous! Also great Raw baby carrots, sugar snap peas and grape tomatos. I really like raw veggies. There are some good frozen options that are low in fat/cals, though do watch the salt levels.

White Potatos really need to be a thing of the past. Sure have them once a week but not every day. Probably the best way to prepare them is roasted in the oven with LOTS of garlic (like a whole head or more) and EV Olive oil. The olive oil slows down the release of carbs/sugar into the bloodstream.

Red meat is bad for your heart, stop eating it now don't wait for the band.

I guess I don't see my food options as being limited. There are so many healthy foods out there.

Everyone is scared going into this. Try not to worry so much. I'm sure you'll find somethings that you like and can tolerate with the band. Always take a Multivitamin to help give your body what it needs. You'll be surprised at how your mind opens up to different foods once you've been without for so long. (aka-2weekliquid) I might be struggling now, but it will all be worth it in the end. Have a little faith sister!! Love ya!

According to your signature, you've got a dietitian appointment coming up soon. Tell the dietitian about your past & current eating, find out what eating guidelines your surgeon's program uses, and then work with the dietitian to come up with food choices that will work for you while still supporting your weight loss.

In theory, no food should be completely off-limits to a bandster, but in practice, some foods may be difficult to eat from time to time. Deep-fried anything will probably cause you so much discomfort that it will quickly lose its appeal.

I've never been a picky eater (just the opposite - I'm a true omnivore) so this may sound unsympathetic, but I think you need to ask yourself what's more important, your food preferences or your health. You're going to have to change your eating behavior (we all do) and at least some of your food choices to succeed with weight loss after any kind of bariatric surgery. If you can't pledge to do that now, maybe you're not ready for surgery.

Finally, a small dose of sympathy: I too was a high-volume eater, and I think that's one of the reasons that the band worked so well for me. I hope it will work the same for you.

And truly your tastes will change.I do sometimes become a creature of habit, and eat the same things for a couple weeks, then change it up. I eat a lot of grocery store rotisserie chicken (very moist), black Beans, I make canned chicken into chicken salad, I eat some low carb crackers, I eat steak and chicken and LOVE all seafood and eat it all. I just don't eat as much. So if you're a Portion Control out of control eater like I was, this will help. Except for slider foods- I can still eat my nemesis, ice cream, with no issues. So I still have to do my part.

I have to say that i was never a junk food fan at all, i also just ate too much and never burned it off. I am opposite to you in the sense that i love veg green veg, broccoli i adore but i make Soup with it and add frozen peas too u can add some parmesan to it and its a really filling soup which i still have for lunch every day a year and half later post op, but my trick is i have Tomato weight watchers soup every dinner time before i eat, yes its a slider but it stops u over eating as it half fills u up before hand, it stops u eating to fast because u arent ravenous hungry any more. WW Soups are only 70 calories and that to me is well worth the extra to get that 'full ' feeling still, i have a small dinner afterwards but because of the soup it feels like i ate much more than i did. Its not a conventional way of eating with a band but worked for me being a big eater rather than a junk food addict. The band will still reduce the amount u can eat and help the hunger in between meals .. i think it works just as well for big eaters as well as snackers and junk food addicts. Cut the soda out and eat small meals of what u like to eat and see if u can lose weight like that , u will probably need to exercise too and make sure u burn more calories than u eat. I understand what u are anxious about as i was too, but it can work if u know how to use it to suit your own needs ... good luck :)