Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Anyone Help Im So Bummed

Hi I got the lap band on 9-2009 was 303 pre surgery and got to 263 well Im back up to 290. I have never really had restriction. I have a 133cc band and am filled to 7cc and no retriction still. I got a upper GI and the band is in place so thats not the problem. I tell my doc that I can still eat a buffett and he said you should not do that and I said I know that however the point is I can and should not be able to he does not understand while I dont have restriction I am looking into the sleeve. Everyone I know that had gotten the sleeve has had great sucess and the people I know that have had the band have lost maybe 20-30 pounds and said they have the same problems. I am too scared to get the sleeve though has anyone experieneced this and what did they do. I would really like to have the band work for me and I dont want to go through another surgery any advice or help would be great. Thanks for listening

A common mistake people make is by thinking just because they can eat something, they should. That definitely isn't the case at all. Good restriction would mean you are satisfied with no more than 1 cup of food per meal and can go 4-5 hours before you're hungry again. Good restriction doesn't necessarily mean you can't physically eat more than that or that you feel stuffed full. Feeling satisfied without hunger is the goal.

If you don't have good restriction, then definitely start with another fill. I mean this with all due respect and gentleness, but considering the Sleeve just because you don't have enough Fluid in your band to have restriction seems a little bit ridiculous. You have the band, it's in working order, why not follow up with your fills and actually utilize it?

I would highly recommend tracking your food intake so you can see exactly what you're eating and where you need to make some changes. Perhaps even tracking your food for a couple weeks then taking the info to a nutrionist so they can help you make smart food choice changes.

Good luck.

So, why is he not giving you a fill?

tmf

7 ccs in a band your size really doesnt seem that much .. i think u should try and get another fill as soon as u can.

The problem with the sleeve is that stomachs can be stretched, and often are with a bypass or sleeve and then u are back to square one with no options, with a band u have options tighter or looser or keep it the same ... There are many many people on this forum that have lost a lot more weight than the people u know, maybe u just know the wrong people :)

With a sleeve there is nothing to stop u eating a buffet either or even a bypass, u have the same responsibility to eat reduced amounts of food whatever WLS u have so u may still have some problems with the sleeve. Give the band a few more tries with fills and eating correctly, and exercising, u never know the answer could be as simple as just another fill :) good luck !

The band is only a tool, and it will not assist you to loose weight if you do not use the tool. Simple as that.

As Mis73 stated, just because you can eat to excess, definitely does not mean you should. It requires motivation and determination to be successful to learn how to eat healthier foods in much smaller portions.

I understand hunger and the band...and I drink upwards of 90 oz of Water a day to help me manage my hunger. You identify ways to manage your hunger, and understand the difference between authentic hunger and head hunger.

I agree with others who have written that you need to have a consultation with your bariatric surgeon, and understand why you are not scheduled to have another fill done. Also, consulting with a dietitian would be helpful to identify unhealthy eating patterns and substitute with better food choices.

It's easy to become discouraged, but if nothing else, this journey with my band has taught me a life skill which eluded me for years...patience. And tomorrow does come with a "Reset" button...

thanks for all the advice I went to the surgeon today .He filled me up a half cc and the nurse told me Im not eating Protein first and am drinking Water with my meals thats why I dont have restriction so I am taking their advice and trying that to see if it helps

thanks for all the advice I went to the surgeon today .He filled me up a half cc and the nurse told me Im not eating Protein first and am drinking Water with my meals thats why I dont have restriction so I am taking their advice and trying that to see if it helps

And the advice you were given is the same that I have received from my surgeon...good words to follow.

Best wishes to you as you get back on track!

I think they advise against drinking with meals because it just washes the food through the band. I have noticed that once I have a drink an hour and a half after I eat, i am almost starving again. So now I am trying to hold out longer or to just take small sips so I don't wash my remaining pureed food through the band.

You got good advice at your docs office. I am surprised he only did .5 cc, that's not much. However, that being said, I hope it does the trick. Deff. eat your protien and don't drink with or after meals. Let us know how you are doing post fill.

My surgeon said unless you are at like 9.5 cc in a 10 cc band, there is nothing to be concerned about filling it up. It's there, fill it.

I read in a lapband book not to drink for 2 hrs after a meal - its really true for being fuller longer.