Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Thinking About It....

Hi everyone,

I am at the "very" first stage of lap band... thinking about it and doing some preliminary research, although the sites I have visited do offer me some great answers to my questions, I figure I would post the questions out there to all of you who have had the surgery as I am looking for some HONEST feedback.

I live in Canada where the surgery is not covered therefore it will be an investment of $16,000.00 therefore I want to make sure it’s money well spent. I have read a ton in regards to post and pre op (liquid diet, surgury side effects) however I was wondering if there are any physical side effects down the road… what I am questioning is the following:

·
Since you are eating so little is there enough nutrition going through your body to ensure you are relatively healthy? (are Vitamins required, I have heard of Hair loss? )

·
If you drink Water does that fill you up similar to food or does it pass through you?

·
Anyone have excess skin or have they found with continued exercise that this is not that big of a problem?

·
Can you feel the band does it interfere with another aspect of your lives?

·
Does the gas subside or is it a constant side effect?

Anyways, I am sure I will have more questions to ask as I struggle with my decision but any feedback would be great GOOD AND BAD!

Talk soon

Since you are eating so little is there enough nutrition going through your body to ensure you are relatively healthy? (are Vitamins required, I have heard of hair loss?)

I am 8 weeks post op and have no Hair loss. You get to eat enough that it is not an issue as long as you eat protien first.

·
If you drink Water does that fill you up similar to food or does it pass through you?
liquids pass right thru. Sometimes when I am hungry I drink Water first to ensure it is not thirst. It is weird but alot of times it is really thirst instead of hunger. But the liquids dont fill you up (they will the week after surgery). Carbinated soda causes some people issues but not me.

·
Anyone have excess skin or have they found with continued exercise that this is not that big of a problem?

I am too early to tell about excess skin but this is a big problem for alot of people. You should search Lap Band Excess Skin on You Tube. There are a ton of videos of girls who are willing to show the issue. Some poeple are very lucky and have little and some have alot. I have only lost 25 lbs in 7 - 8 weeks but I can tell my arms are going to be an issue.

·

I cannot fill it at all. Sometimes I faintly fill my port if I am doing sit ups or activity but it is very subtle. I can feel my band if I eat a large bite or too many bites close together. The food has to push through and it is very uncomfortable. So I try to follow the rules. This didnt happen to me until third fill.

·

I had gas pain for two days and it was tolerable. None since. I was told to always have gas ex with me but I havent used it since 1 week post. I dont drink many carbonated sodas which may help. I get gas if I eat gassy foods just like pre - band. Most people only deal with the gas for a short amount of time after surgery and it is typically not in the intestine but the gas they use to fill you up with in order to preform the surgery. That is why it hurts b/c it is hard to get out (body has to absorb it).

I read alot about this proceedure before I had it done. I fear the risks of slipping or port flips. However, it looks like most complications come from the old band they use to use (4cc) or patient non-complaince (breaking the rules over time and causing issues). I plan to follow rules closely to reduce risks. I had some doubt after the proceedure that I should have gotten the sleeve but I am still comforted that I can remove this and be totally normal whereas the others are perminant alternations to anatomy. That scares me more. The weight loss is slower with the band so you have to be a patient person. Especially in the first few months until they get you to the green zone. This is a discouraging time. However, it goes by pretty fast.

I hope that helps. Best wishes to you in your journey. This site can be helpful but sometimes it goes through periods of time where it is all negative and panic. Then a few weeks it will be alot of positive discussions. Read some of the forums about 100 plus losses and the successes too. Those are cool.

katy

Also, I am "self pay" as well. I paid $10,000.00 through true results which covered the surgery, pre opt, one year of post op and all fills / unfills during that time.

Be sure to ask your surgeon if aftercare is covered and for how long. Fills are usually around $125 if it is not covered. Most of your fills and unfills will be in the first year but if you have a complication or another proceedure (like cosmetic surgery) years down the road, you have to get a unfill and then gradual fills again. That could total $500 + to get back to green zone. Those are just some things to consider. Also, pick a surgeon close to you because you have to go for frequent appts after the proceedure to get fills. I have gone every two weeks for 8 weeks. Now I am on once a month. Every Dr is different.

Sorry I have probably talked too much :)

Since you are eating so little is there enough nutrition going through your body to ensure you are relatively healthy? (are Vitamins required, I have heard of Hair loss? ): Most people who lose hair are not getting enough Protein in. I do take a multi Vitamin, Calcium chew, and a Biotin daily (only calcium chew and multi are recommended by my surgeon).

·
Water can help keep you feeling full, but it does go right through as it is not a solid.

·
Not at this time.

·
No.

·
After about two weeks, the internal gas/pains subsided. I did burp a lot for the first month, but it did go away too.

Since you are eating so little is there enough nutrition going through your body to ensure you are relatively healthy? (are Vitamins required, I have heard of hair loss
If you get enough Protein, this shouldn't be a problem with Hair loss. I am over 100 days post op and haven't had any issue with this. Some people have minor hair loss the first few weeks or dry hair, but that is due to the general anethesia. As far as a vitamins, my doctor just has me on a chewable kids Multi-Vitamin daily.

·
water passes right through. The Protein Shakes on the other hand fills me up. I have trouble in the morning with Breakfast sometimes, so I will substitute a Protein Shake. My trouble isn't getting stuck, just I have never cared for breakfast before 9! LOL

·
I think this is an individual issue. For myself, I work with a personal trainer so I think that it has helped with my excess skin so far. I know several that have had the band. The extra skin depends on how much you have to lose, how hydrated you stay, and how much you exercise,. There are some people that I know that do the above things, andhaven't had an issue even with 100 lb loss. My husband is approaching his 85 lb mark (11 months) and has zero sagging skin. On the other hand, I know a few that have lost , but did not do any exercise and are planning on cosmetic surgery.

·
Can you feel the band does it interfere with another aspect of your live
At the beginning, I was more aware of my port area especially the scar tissue. As far as the band, no I don't "feel" it, but the general area around where it is will feel tighter on occasion. I haven't had any problems with interference at all. There have been a couple of instances when doing ab workouts that I can feel my port but that is all.

·
The gas is a byproduct from the surgery. It will go away fairly quickly. It is a different type of gas, than from stomach/intestinal gas. This is a gas that forms in your muscle walls after surgery. The best way to alleviate it is to move around as often and as soon as they will let you up. Some people swear by beano and gasx, etc. after surgery; however, my surgeon ( along with several surgical nurse friends) told me that since it is a different kind of gas, the best way to get it gone , is to get yourself in gear. I walked those hospital hallways so many times! When you get home, do the same thing. walk, walk, walk

Thank you all very much for your feedback, I am compiling notes for when I go to visit my doctor next week... I am excited for this new adventure!

Would any one have any questions that I should be asking both my doctor and the clinic when I go for my consultation? I think I have covered everything but since some of you have gone through this already and are the "experts" your guidance would be greatly appreciated :)