Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Addiction But Still Sucessful?

I was hoping to hear from some bandsters who have been successful but started out with a bad food addiction. I know we all probably have a food addiction to some extent but I feel like mine is sometimes uncontrolable. I'm scared that I might not be successful because I am already slipping. I know this is about will power. I just want to hear from the people who started like me.

I was addicted to fast food, sometimes had it at every meal. Most says it was McDonalds for Breakfast and lunch. I have it once in awhile now. Went there yesterday and had there chicken nuggets and threw the rest away cause I couldn't finish.

I have saved so much money on not doing fast food, that it now pays for my shopping addiction. :-)

Just follow the program as much as u can and you will soon learn how to reprogram yourself. I had a small infill about a month ago and have very little restriction now, but I have not gained any weight. I still feel pretty full after a small amount, but I can eat pretty much anything and I might even be able to do a hamburger with bread. But I don't want to start down that road. The chicken nuggets was about as far as I am willing to push it.

Good luck to you!!

I would totally recommend a book called "The End of Overeating. Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite."

It talks about how the food industry has specifically manufactured foods to be addictive. It's an interesting read and gave me insight into why I crave certain foods.

Most of us know what it feels like to fall under the spell of food—when one slice of pizza turns into half a pie, or a handful of chips leads to an empty bag. But it's harder to understand why we can't seem to stop eating—even when we know better. When we want so badly to say "no," why do we continue to reach for food?

Dr. David Kessler, the dynamic former FDA commissioner who reinvented the food label and tackled the tobacco industry, now reveals how the food industry has hijacked the brains of millions of Americans. The result? America's number-one public health issue. Dr. Kessler cracks the code of overeating by explaining how our bodies and minds are changed when we consume foods that contain sugar, fat, and salt. Food manufacturers create products by manipulating these ingredients to stimulate our appetites, setting in motion a cycle of desire and consumption that ends with a nation of overeaters.

THE END OF OVEREATING explains for the first time why it is exceptionally difficult to resist certain foods and why it's so easy to overindulge. Dr. Kessler met with top scientists, physicians, and food industry insiders. THE END OF OVEREATING uncovers the shocking facts about how we lost control over our eating habits—and how we can get it back. Dr. Kessler presents groundbreaking research, along with what is sure to be a controversial view inside the industry that continues to feed our nation—from popular brand manufacturers to advertisers, chain restaurants, and fast food franchises. For the millions of people struggling with weight as well as for those of us who simply don't understand why we can't seem to stop eating our favorite foods, Dr. Kessler's cutting-edge investigation offers new insights and useful tools to help us find a solution. There has never been a more thorough, compelling, or in-depth analysis of why we eat the way we do.

I am just starting out had my iband done May 29th. I know that there are times I pass different fast food places and want to stop but have to keep driving. Or I try to go to ones that I know will have something I can order. Grilled chicken.. And I really want a burger it is hard. I think it is hard not to slip we still have those same wants we had before.

Also agree that it saves money big time. Since our surgery (my hubby had it too) we have had extra money for shopping even with our grocery bill going up now that we are buying health foods. without the fast food.< /p>

I was a fast food addict too. I've saved a lot of money so far by cooking the majority of my meals. When I go out, I look and the menu ahead of time and eat healthy (fish/chicken/veggies) but have also allowed myself a couple bites of dessert or a glass of juice here or there. Not sure when i will be able to handle eating my former favorite foods. I'm trying rewire my brain and not think of treating myself as "cheating" or "failure" cuz that just makes me want to eat MORE. so for me.. That's where it starts.

I LOVE FOOD.....I had my LB put in 6/13/12 and I have had soft foods already and seem to be doing well with not feeling like barfing that I read about. I worry about me eating already...I just feel that my body can handle it right now in moderation ..they say your doc should tell you to move to soft food stage, but I did it on my own...and still take my Protein shakes....but its all in moderation ..

I was banded on 6/17/12 and I am on the soft food stage and already having problems with control. I am still loosing but I just worry so much about the control. My therapist and I are gonna have to really start working hard on it. Thanks for your replies. :)

I have to say I was addicted to food also. Well I don't think most of us would qualify for the surgery if we didn't like food. There are for sure foods I miss but lots of the foods it is impossible for me to be able to get them. I have had a few stuck times and now I don't crave those foods because I know how bad that hurts and how bad I feel during it. I could list a ton of foods I couldn't get enough of before surgery and now I can't eat them. My one I miss the most is a chedder bread from great harvest but without that and many other foods I am feeling amazing with me getting healthier!

@ Sombra wow soft foods already, thats quick....but I think maybe we are eating cause we need that taste...but I think my doc left my band unfilled?? so when I go to my first fill then I think thats when it gets a lil tough and foods will be harder to digest if I eat the wrong foods....so I think thats why I can eat

I was a major food addict and I'm sure I still am. I think of it like being a recovering alcoholic, I stay away from triggers because I know I'm just one bite from falling off the wagon if I don't.

It can be managed but the key is realizing the problem is in your head, not your stomach, so the band can't and won't fix it.

I LOVE FOOD.....I had my LB put in 6/13/12 and I have had soft foods already and seem to be doing well with not feeling like barfing that I read about. I worry about me eating already...I just feel that my body can handle it right now in moderation ..they say your doc should tell you to move to soft food stage, but I did it on my own...and still take my Protein shakes....but its all in moderation ..

the reason why your doctor wants u to follow the advice regarding the stages of food post -op is about the healing process of your tummy and how the pouch created needs time to setttle down and not be disrupted by your main tummy churning trying to digest food. I am glad u are ok but not listening to your doctors advice to me is a little risky ..

the reason why your doctor wants u to follow the advice regarding the stages of food post -op is about the healing process of your tummy and how the pouch created needs time to setttle down and not be disrupted by your main tummy churning trying to digest food. I am glad u are ok but not listening to your doctors advice to me is a little risky ..

AGREED !! At your stage it's about HEALING !! The weight loss is a plus but eating the wrong food this early can big a really big MINUS ! Be careful !

Another recovering fast food addict here. I just can't eat the stuff any more because of physical restriction and when I do nibble a french fry or hamburger, I find that after a couple of years without the stuff, it just doesn't taste as good as I remembered. I'm sure the majority of my weight loss is thanks to not being able to eat a big hamburger and large order of fries any time I want.

Unfortunately, chocolate still goes down pretty easy and I've just come through a phase of being devoted to M&Ms. I've noticed that I'm actually tired of them and have begun to eat them out of habit instead of desire. THat has been a big thing for me- identifying what is true desire and what is habit and acting accordingly.

I have been bulimic (30 years ago) & then just a binger & got bigger & bigger. Lost 100 lbs twice. It seemed like I was either in a good cycle or a bad one. Part of that may have been because I have also struggled with depression. Therapy has been a big help for me. I'm now down to where I was the last time I lost weight & stayed at this weight 5 years. I'm slightly concerned that this is my set point. However, I know if I up the exercise I will go lower. The hunger is diminished so I'm basically dealing with head hunger but only once or twice a month. Good luck!

I was a fast food addict as well. I still eat it but I just find I cant eat as large portions anymore. I am just a food addict in general. I try to really control my portions. If I eat chips or candy I just eat the serving size and count it into my daily calories. Its not always easy but unfortunetly this all does involve a little will power. I think will power is something we learn over time. I have found that as I watch the scale go down it gets easier because I want to lose more and more weight instead of eat more and more junk food!!