Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does an average day of eating look like for you?

I usually get up, have a cup of coffee or two and later a bowl of Cereal, or a yogurt and piece of fruit, maybe toast.

lunch could be a sandwich - something like tuna, curried egg or turkey, lettuce and cranberry sauce, leftovers, or a salad and a piece of fruit.

dinner, gosh last night we had salmon and a pear, walnut and rocket salad, the night before we had scrambled eggs on toast, before that was lamb loin chops, mashed potato and broccoli and carrots, and I think we had spaghetti bolognaise on Monday night.

I pretty much dont eat between meals. Meals are almost normal person sized for me at the moment.

Wow. You eat well. I have such a problem with vegetables. I don't like them cooked. Some raw veggies - but not many. I'm too scared to eat celery which I did like.

I am also not much on fruits, with exception of applesauce or if someone cuts stuff up for me.

I blame this on a life time of eating sugars and high fat foods. I wish it were easier to change.

What kind of Protein drink are you drinking? Also, the talapia, I've never have that before - is it good? How do you prepare it? I just saw it for the first time at Sams last night. Thanks!

BTW - congrats on the weightloss - you are doing great!

I use Isopure Perfect Zero Carb in Dutch chocolate flavor. I mix it in fat free, Carb Countdown milk and Water, and add a blob (less than a tbl) of carb Countdown Peanut Butter. It's quite yummy. Keep in mind one "batch" (1C milk, 1/2 - 1 C Water, 2 scoops Protein powder, >1tbl peanut butter) yields 2 servings... and I don't have the bottles in front of me so this is best-guess:

190 calories

3g fat

3.5g carbs

28.5g Protein

And it tastes (IMO) darn good. I couldn't stomach the Protein Powder in water, so this was my "sensible" alternative.

What does an average day of eating look like for you?

Is this a trick question? LOL

Considering that "I cant STOP eating" - Im not answering this!

Here is a clip of my food journal for the past six days. I don't go out to eat very often, in fact only twice since being banded. Both times I had a cup of chili and a glass of iced tea which was plenty. (no crackers)

These are typical days for me. I cooked a roast on Sunday and it lasted a lot longer than it used to! hehe As you can see, the days I had roast, my calories were a lot higher. Typically, I eat around 800 calories a day. In place of the roast, I probably would have had chicken, or just had a Healthy Choice, meat -n- mashed potatoes meal and my fish for dinner.

[ATTACH]3954[/ATTACH]

Thank you Susan - this was very helpful! How did you do this? What program did you use? I would like to do something like this too. Thanks!

Hi, I am scheduled to be banded on May 4th, and very nervous. What is PB? It sounds awful. Sounds like some of you drink with meals. I thought that was off limits, like it could make you sick. Thanks

Hey TXKRAUSE,

I read in a cookbook for people having weigtloss surgery that Soy Nuts are a good crunchy snack and high in Protein. I haven't tried them yet because I'm still in mushies stage, so I don't know if they are any good. Just thought I'd let you know since you were asking about crunchy Snacks.< /p>

Also, the talapia, I've never have that before - is it good? How do you prepare it? I just saw it for the first time at Sams last night. Thanks!
Sorry, just saw the question. I'm not a huge fish fan but it's so high in Protein, easy to eat, etc. -- enough seasonings make it work. I usually use a cajun seasoning as a base, and then top it with some kind of a blend or garlic seasoning.

Susan great minds must think alike....I just created my food journal tonight and it looks alot like yours. :D hehe....

Breakfast - yogurt, egg w/ cheese, Cereal, 1 pc of cheese toast

lunch - lunch meat, chicken or tuna salad (made @ home), Boco burger, small salad w/ grilled ck added.

dinner - stuffed pepper, quesadilla made w/ low card tortilla, salmon patty, taco salad, Talipha or other fish baked or grilled.

This is some of the things I have...I notice more weight loss when I have fish at least once a day. :) Don't know why but it works for me.

PhotoNut - - How do you determine the calories and Protein amounts when you make a homemade roast? Also, are we supposed to be getting a certain amount of Protein daily? I'm not banded yet. Have my consult appt on 3-30-06.

Also, it seems so funny that when I was trying one of my 50,000 diets, I was supposed to eat celery sticks. Now I can't! What's up with that??

Also, to me Peanut Butter would be hard to get down without Water. But, several people have commented on eating peanut butter!

Help! I'm confused!! :)

Tina

Thank you Susan - this was very helpful! How did you do this? What program did you use? I would like to do something like this too. Thanks!

You're very welcome. I just used Excel and set it up how I wanted it. Are you familiar with Excel at all? If not, I might be able to give you some other ideas. PM me if you want. :D

Hi, I am scheduled to be banded on May 4th, and very nervous. What is PB? It sounds awful. Sounds like some of you drink with meals. I thought that was off limits, like it could make you sick. Thanks

Hi Hopefull, grats on your band date! A PB is a "productive burp", a very nice term for a very unpleasant event which occurs when food is eaten too quickly or the wrong types of foods are eaten and they get stuck. The food has to come back up. Sometimes this is a quick and painless thing but other times it can be quite painful and last a long time. I'm sure if you look around you'll find some stories on PBs.

The best thing is to remember to take your time when you eat. Chew your food very well and spit it out if you can tell it's not going to chew down to 'goo'. Avoid typically troublesome foods such as fruit peels, potato skins, stringy veggies like celery and broccoli, dry meats (use a low carb sauce or gravy, and cook in a slow cooker for juicier meat), stringy or grissly meats such as steak or hamburger, flour products that turn into a gooey dough when chewed. You will find that everyone is different. Some people eat hamburger meat just fine but can't eat steak, while the others can eat steak but always PB on hamburger. You'll have to decide what you are willing to try and try with caution.

Susan great minds must think alike....I just created my food journal tonight and it looks alot like yours. :D hehe....

I notice more weight loss when I have fish at least once a day. :) Don't know why but it works for me.

Kim.. Oh no! If you're thinking like me you might be in serious trouble! LOL! And that is so cool that you mentioned the thing about fish. I have found the very same thing and thought I was just weird. Its a rare day that I don't eat fish of some kind.

PhotoNut - - How do you determine the calories and Protein amounts when you make a homemade roast? Also, are we supposed to be getting a certain amount of Protein daily? I'm not banded yet. Have my consult appt on 3-30-06.

Heyas Tina - I use www.nutritiondata.com for determining calories in homemade foods. When I cook a roast, I put 1/2 can of Swanson's beef broth in a crockpot, put in the roast, sprinkle it with onion salt, garlic powder, meat tenderizer (Schillings seasoned is the best), and some black pepper bbq seasonings I get from the butcher at the grocery store. I cook it all day long and its awesome! With only the broth in there, I don't have to worry about figuring calories for gravies and the like.

As for protein, most Dr's advise 60 grams per day minimum. Protein promotes healing and fights infection, so it's very important to get in that minimum. I personally aim for 60-100 grams per day. If you go into the food forum and do a search on the word 'protein' you will find a lot of threads which discuss this topic.

Also, it seems so funny that when I was trying one of my 50,000 diets, I was supposed to eat celery sticks. Now I can't! What's up with that??

Celery is very stringy and even though you may chew it a long time, those fiberous threads are not going to break down enough to get through the band. Invision a ball of celery strings jamming up the pipe, so to speak. Broccoli can cause problems as well. Then you are faced with a PB or worse.

Also, to me Peanut Butter would be hard to get down without Water. But, several people have commented on eating peanut butter!

I have only had Peanut Butter twice since being banded. I got a tiny bit on the tip of my finger, and took a good full minute to eat it. LOL Some people put peanutbutter in shakes. I don't really desire it enough to spend that many calories on it. Also, remember that everyone is different. The people eating this may not be as restricted as someone who PBs on it. If you are a fan of peanutbutter, you can certainly try it and see how you do. But as I said, its very high in calories and fat. I try to eat things that are highest in protein.

I'll list a few sample days of menus:

breakfast- Quaker wieght control oatmeal

lunch- chicken salad and 4 wheat thins

snack-some almonds, I cant eat very many since last fill

dinner- Grilled chicken, grilled zuchinni, broccoli and cheese

breakfast-protein drink...wasnt hungry

snack- boiled egg

lunch- salad with grilled chicken, avacado, bacon bits

dinner- shrimp, broccoli, small salad

breakfast-oatmeal

lunch- Whataburger grilled chicken sandwich bunless, NO FRIES

supper-buffalo wings and ranch dressing, carrot sticks with ranch

PhotoNut - -Thanks sooooooooo much for this info! You are very helpful! I went to that website!! Great idea!!! THX! :):D :D