Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Frustrated-Weight Not Coming Off Like I Thought It Would

I was banded April 26, 2012 and had my first fill 12 days ago. And I'm getting so frustrated, I'm not losing at the rate I think and feel I should be. If you were banded how much have you lost since surgery date?

How much have you lost both pre and post op? Most doctors say you can loose up to 2 pounds per week. I am a slow looser and while I am at restriction do up to 2 1/2 hours of moderate cardio daily; I loose less than 1 pound per week. Some people loose faster than others. How realistic are you weight loss expectations?

Are you weighing your Protein? My doctor says 3 oz of solid protien lunch and dinner. For now this is a will power diet. Not only do you need to eat smaller portions but will probably need to chose low fat/cal foods.

Everyone loses at different rates. As stated by "honk, you have to have realistic expectations, we didn't gain the weight overnight and the lap band is only a tool and we still have to do a lot of behavior changing to reach our goals. I had surgery October 2010 and I am 10 lbs from my goal, I have lost over 100 lbs. I have followed the rules set by my physician 90 percent of the time, I rarely eat junk food, I stick to 3 small meals a day and have two Protein Drinks. I eat between 80-100 gms of Protein a day and I do cardio 4-5 days a week and weight training 3 days a week. I have had plateaus that lasted for 3-4 months at a time. It can be frustrating but if you follow the rules with your eating and start exercising the pounds and inches will start to come off. Patience is hard but learning healthy eating habits is a new process for many of us and even though we have a band we get out of it what we are willing to put into it. Good luck to you and don't give up.

I was like you in the beginning. I thought I'd be losing 10-15 lbs a month. Then I did the math.

First, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you can lose 50. 60, even 70 lbs the first 3 months if you follow the rules. Most of us only lose 10-25 lbs the first few months. And the weight we lose in the first month is mostly Water.

Here's the math: One pound equals 3500 calories burned! Our bodies need about 2000 calories a day to maintain the weight we now enjoy. If you can pump up your exercise routine, that figure could go up 200-600 more calories per day. If you consume 1500 calories a day and burn 2000 you will burn 500 more than you consumed. 500 X a 7 day week= 3500 calories burned or you just lost 1 lb. Burn an extra 500 calories per day through exercise and there's another 1 lb.

It's not an exact science and so many things can affect your weight such as sodium intake, medications, menstrual cycles, high carb intake and so on. These can cause you to retain Water and it's not hard to retain 2-4 lbs of extra water. So, it's easy to plateau(I do have a great plateau buster program).

Here's a great link to a calorie calculator which will tell you how many calories you need per day to lose weight.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/a/calguide.htm

tmf

I was like you in the beginning. I thought I'd be losing 10-15 lbs a month. Then I did the math.

First, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you can lose 50. 60, even 70 lbs the first 3 months if you follow the rules. Most of us only lose 10-25 lbs the first few months. And the weight we lose in the first month is mostly Water.

Here's the math: One pound equals 3500 calories burned! Our bodies need about 2000 calories a day to maintain the weight we now enjoy. If you can pump up your exercise routine, that figure could go up 200-600 more calories per day. If you consume 1500 calories a day and burn 2000 you will burn 500 more than you consumed. 500 X a 7 day week= 3500 calories burned or you just lost 1 lb. Burn an extra 500 calories per day through exercise and there's another 1 lb.

It's not an exact science and so many things can affect your weight such as sodium intake, medications, menstrual cycles, high carb intake and so on. These can cause you to retain Water and it's not hard to retain 2-4 lbs of extra water. So, it's easy to plateau(I do have a great plateau buster program).

Here's a great link to a calorie calculator which will tell you how many calories you need per day to lose weight.

http://nutrition.abo.../a/calguide.htm

tmf

That calculator thing says that I should be eating a lot more than I am now. In fact almost 3 times what I eat now.

These results will help you determine the calorie count you need to maintain your current weight or to achieve your goal weight in a healthy and steady manner.

You need 2310.9 calories per day to maintain your current weight without exercise.

You need 1791.9 calories per day to reach your goal weight slowly and maintain that weight without exercise.

If you reduce your current caloric intake to 1810.9 calories per day you will lose one pound per week without exercise.

If you increase your current caloric intake to 2810.9 calories per day, you will gain one pound per week.

I was banded April 26, 2012 and had my first fill 12 days ago. And I'm getting so frustrated, I'm not losing at the rate I think and feel I should be. If you were banded how much have you lost since surgery date?

Try not to get too many expectations so soon. The main thing is to relearn all the right eating habits,and the type of foods. im sure your weight will come off soon enough. i try not to put too many expectations on my weight loss, so soon after being banded. ive been banded now 2 1/2 months. i have lost nearly 30 lbs. the main priority for me though is relearning how to eat with the band. i know my weight will come off soon enough.

Yvonne,

I don't think it says you should eat more? It just gives you examples of what to expect.

You only eat 600 calories a day? Your body will slow it's metabolism down to nada if you keep that up. But if it works for you I can understand why you would continue? For me that would be too much discomfort. Band or no band I'd be hungry(no, starving) all the time. I wouldn't have enough energy to exercise let alone move.

tmf

ive been banded 6 months, lost 42 lbs so far. 5 of that was the 2 weeks before i was banded. i kept a weight diary , and even though some might think this is wrong, i weigh myself everyday. I dont get upset over the #, it just helps keep me accountable NOW for food and exercise. No waiting to get back on track ! !!! Over the course of a few days i noticed i went up a few lbs. By looking at my diary i noticed i had eaten too many salty foods. As soon as i went back to healthier foods, the weight started coming off. Keeping a food and exercise log might help you, and even if the scale doesnt move you will be proud of yourself for all the healthy food entries and all the exercise you'll have done. ( And when your clothes start getting loose too !!!) The band DOES work, its just not overnight. Just follow your Dr's rules about food, exercise , Water, and fills. Good luck !!!

I was banded April 26' date=' 2012 and had my first fill 12 days ago. And I'm getting so frustrated, I'm not losing at the rate I think and feel I should be. If you were banded how much have you lost since surgery date?[/quote']

Don't rush your weight lost. Safely loose your weight at 2-3 lbs a week. I have lost 11lbsand that was pre surgery. Haven't lost since surgery.

ALSO REMEMBER THAT WITH THE LAPBAND WE LOSE WEIGHT SLOWER THEN SAY THE GASTRIC

Sometimes, we get to few calories and the body goes into starvation mode.....