Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

&**&^ No More Fills For Me

Ok i had my first fill on friday today is tuesday and no change no nothing and that is ok i know it might take a few of them . so i called dr office and they want me to come and talk to dietition to go over what im eating ( been there done that 2 times now ) they said maybe they can change some of the things on my diet ! I DONT WANT A DIET ~! yes i know even though this is a tool i need to become a better eater but I say ok yes you need to change the way you eat because eating less when restricted you have to get in the things you need and thats great . so no more fill for me until i see dietition try the NEW DIET for a while and then see if they want to give me a another fill! Wasnt the purpose of this surgery to get a tool to reach a good restriction so i feel full on what my new way of eating will be??? im just soo seeing red right now! been sitting here crying for an hour just had to let it out

:think

Whoa, whoa! Slow down! You just had your first fill on Friday and you're already antsing for another one? What's the hurry? Many people find that their fills don't "kick in" for several days or even a week or two. Wait and see if this one doesn't give you some restriction before asking for more.

Most doctors really want us to wait several weeks between fills, and I think that only makes good sense. We really don't want to get overfilled too fast, because that doesn't give us time to adjust to a new way of eating. And many doctors also want patients to evaluate what they're eating as much as how, so meetings with nutritionists before adjustments are not uncommon.

Don't worry! You're making it sound as though it's all over, and that's FAR from the case. Patience and persistence are two things bandsters need to succeed, so look within and see if you can find yours. :)

Michelle, what size is you band and how much was your first fill.

I have a 4cc band and my first fill was a full 2cc. It was too tight, so doc took out .4cc and it was fine. Now I'm at 2cc again.

Anyhow, sounds as if your doc is one to sneak upon fills. A slow mover. Nothing wrong with this, because there is a need to change the food habits. There is ,indeed, wisdom in this.

On the other hand, man, I can see being frustrated having this band with little restriction to help you. Your weight loss is wonderful, by the way. Please be patient. Dont' cry. Your band isn't going anywhere, so go day to day with it. If I could go back and change anything about this past (almost) year, I'd appreciate the perspective I now have...I'd work with it better, I'd be in much less of a hurry than I was, I'd not let myself get frantic about my weight loss. I'd be okay with slow and steady. Our stats are similar...check 'em out. You could be me? Hang on. You WILL get there!

I totally agree with Alex and Kathy. I think you are trying to rush things. Two days after I went off of liquids (after my first fill) I felt like I was starving and I could eat more than before the fill. It was only because of reading about other people's experiences that I've been able to realize that I just need to watch my intake and give it some time. Finding the right fill, or sweet spot, takes time and patience. You have to give your body time to settle into the adjustments before you can really determine if you need more or less of a fill.

Plus, you're right.. the band is a tool and so is access to a dietician! Use every resource you have to help you learn a new lifestyle that will stay with you forever. Try to focus beyond the weight loss and on a change in your eating habits so you will have a lifetime of success rather than a year or two. Listen to your doctor and your nutritionist - and be thankful you have them both on your team, helping you to beat the food demon!

Michelle,

I know how frustrating it can be to have to wait between fills. I did not have restriction my first fill, but did my second fill. My doc let me have another one a week after the first one at 6 weeks post op. I dont think its bad advice to see the dietician anyway, but if your doc wont give you another one within a month of the first one and expects you to do this with only dietary compliance, then i would whine a little. Its too early in the game to give up. Hang in there.

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-154 ish give or take a few... I dont weigh anymore!!!!

Hi Michelle,

I know how you feel, I went for my first scheduled fill in January and my doctor wouldn't do it b/c I had lost some weight. I told him I was losing on my own willpower and not the band because I could eat a horse...I told him I didn't know how much longer I could do it, and I was really struggling...he still said NO! Come back in 1 month... oy, I was PO'd.

So I gained 2 lbs and in February when I went for my monthly checkup he gave me my first fill. He said I could come back in 2 weeks for another fill, but I really thought about it and decided I wanted to wait and heal inside or do what ever it does inside and that I would wait until my next months visit. I can still eat like a horse, 1 month later so I know I am ready for fill #2.

Its hard when your anxious to think rational but you need to slow down and take a look at things. Believe me, I know you are frustrated, so was I. I waited 4+ months for my 1st fill. I'm kinda glad I have a doctor who goes slow and puts my health first.

Hang in there, your gonna be okay.

HUGS!!!

i dont mind seeing the dieition but i just saw her last week gave her my logs ! she said i was doing great. i only eat what was givien to me in my booklet done for me by her! havnt induldged in anything im not suppose to . yeah going crazy but im the one who wanted to do this ! i guess my only complaint is that if giving me .05 fill and saying that it should kick in but doesnt and i need a small amount everytime thats great no prob! but to have to go back to dietition to get a revised DIET? go on it for a while then maybe a another fill?? I guess i dont understand that concept. :rolleyes

i called the office back and asked them to please help me understand.. this is what i was told. basicly she wants me to see her on the 15th to go over my new logs from now till then . and see if adjustments need to be made in my suggested diet. also said she will talk to dr on friday and see what he suggest on the fill dept . like i said i dont mind waiting on a fill i just dont get this DIET they have me on she said it is because my sugars were so high at beginning i was at 450 and on 2 oral meds and insuline. and they dont want me to crash out. right now im running any where from 60 -115 when i was there last week i was at 58 she changed a few things but i guess she wants to see how that is going. NOW I GET IT! i guess you have to talk to the right person:rolleyes

Michelle, isn't it nice to get a simple explanation! It's frustrating sometimes and knowing the reasons does help.

Like the others have said, be patient your restriction will come. Sometimes restriction sneaks up on you and BAMM you're tight.

I have moments where I can eat the same food 2 days in a row. Day 1=I can eat a small portion. Day 2=I can eat a large portion. Why? I really don't know.

Good luck, Shawn

OK... a few questions.... (note it's been years since I've been a new pre-op, so things may have changed)...

Did your doctor do the fill under fluoroscopy or just in his office??? If he did it under fluoroscopy, with a barium swallow, then my guess is that the fill amount is O.K. If not, he may just proceed very slowly because he doesn't use fluoroscopy and doesn't want you to be too restricted.

Personally, 0.5 as a first fill seems extremely small to me. In my day, the typical first fill was 1.5-2.0 ccs... and even with that, most people would find that they'd be back at the doctors in a month or two for their next fill.

You're right... this is a tool. It will work.... but you need to be patient. It can take two-four fills before you find your sweet spot. :)

How's your exercise going?? Do you wear a pedometer, do walk away the pounds, anything?? For me, even when I needed a fill, I found that upping (or restarting) my exercise program often had great results... both in how I felt emotionally/physically and in weight loss.

she said it is because my sugars were so high at beginning i was at 450 and on 2 oral meds and insuline. and they dont want me to crash out. right now im running any where from 60 -115 when i was there last week i was at 58 she changed a few things but i guess she wants to see how that is going. NOW I GET IT! i guess you have to talk to the right person:rolleyes

Ahaaa! The diabetes explains everything. No, you don't want to crash out, and your doc is smart and well, smart, to keep such a close eye on your diet. Trust that doc, sounds like they know what they're doing at that office! You'll lose the weight. If you are able to be so compliant with a small fill, just wait till it gets easier, the weight will fall off, and hopefully your blood sugars will remain stable. Good job!

my first fill didnt work either so I know what your feeling. the fact my son was getting married in 3 months made me stick to the diet and lose otherwise I wouldnt have lost an ounce. the others are right though about having to wait a few days sometimes for the fill to kick in,thats happened to me a couple of times.

I know what you mean about having to diet without restriction, if I could do that I wouldnt have needed the band ! your probably the same, sometimes I wonder where the docs heads are at. for instance, the 1st doctor I saw wanted me to lose 80lbs before I got the band and eat what I would be eating when banded to "prove my commitment"

huh ?????

the surgeon who banded me has a wife who has been also banded and he knows all the thrills and spills, asks you not to eat meat and bread and candy, fills you then will add a bit or take some out until your comfortable and leaves it up to the patient to judge whether the fill is working or not. to my mind that makes more sense.

as for exercise I was far to big to be exercising and Im still not, thats cos Im lazy no other reason, but the weight still comes off at my size even if I dont. no doubt that will change as I get lighter *sigh I read somwhere that you have to run up the stairs of the Eiffel tower and back down again 165 times to lose 3lbs of fat --so thats my excuse, I live too far away from Paris !!:)

after a year (today) of the band, my need to lose it and lose it fast has diminished a lot, this will no doubt happen to you and you will realise that once you get the right amount in your band and you folllow the rules you HAVE to lose weight. Its hard to get the yo yo dieting mentality out of your head which was for me, omg I havnt lost weight this week, omg Im going to stop losing and gain it all back, panic panic panic

then I realised that there will be highs and lows and that with the band the general direction is down, with a few bumps along the slope

good luck and hopefully he will realise that you need more restriction. fingers crossed for you

im not much of an exercise kinda gal so walking is boring tred mill boring weights boring so what i have found and i have been doing it for a while is DDR Dance Dance Revolution ~ its a game on the playstation that has a matt and you dance you butt off ! i sweat and my heart rate flys~ it even has a weight managment thing on it tell you what you burn you put in your weight and it tells you what you need to do . i tll you i get so into it i do it for 1.5 hours and have to make myself stop becuase its so much fun my kids play with me too .

It took two weeks after my first fill before I even felt it, but once it kicked in it was very good. Give it time I am sure it will work for you.