Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Know Anything About Banajor?

help researching where to have my surgery but I haven't heard anyone mention the Banajor clinic. I'd love to hear positive and negative feedback. Also anyone wanting to rave why to go to the doctor they used I'd love to hear. Dr. Aceves? Dr. Zorrilla? Dr. Ortiz? and so on. This is so difficult!

Thanks, April

I am currently doing research on banding in Mexico because I want to be banded soon. I was raised in Mexico but I live in the States. I speak Spanish fluently and I know the system well, having said that.......I googled the Dr.s who do the surgery at Bajanor and I don't feel that confident going there. I have a friend in Tijuana who has 2 friends who had the surgery in TJ and they are doing great. The Dr. was Ortiz.:) I have been looking into Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. I haven't had much feedback though.

I looked into both Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Aceves, Banajor and several others. I would agree Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Aceves have great reputations and are great surgeons without a doubt. I however, have decided to go to Banajor and have found a few previous Banajor patients that have been very happy with their experience on this forum. There surgical team consists of three bariatric surgeons, anesthesiologist, and nursing staff who do surgery on each patient, the lead surgeon is Inamed certified. I am very happy with my decision and will be banded 4/3. I'll be back the 5th and happy to share my experience with others. I've been banded before in France but couldn't afford the cost of going back there. I like that I can get a mid-band instead of being only given the choice of the inamed. I unlike many Americans do not believe, just because the Inamed is the only FDA approved band, that it is the best band for everyone. Thanks for your input and replying to my post-April

I went to Bajanor and was banded five days ago. So far I am doing pretty good. I still have some pain and not much energy.

If you have any questions let me know and I will tell you anything from my experience if it helps.

Good luck with your research and decision.

:)

Hey JoAnn!

Congrats! I am going there myself this Friday, 033106.

Overall are you feeling pretty good about the whole experience?

Thanks!

Sam

Yes, I have a pretty good overall feeling as far as the surgery goes. My doctor did not tell me everything I needed to know such as little facts but I have found this site to be very useful.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you are in Mexico. The Bajanor Hospital was not like the hospitals in the states. Your IV pole is just a pole no monitor. No call button for the nurse in your room and things like that. There are five channels on the tv in english. They do care and try to make you comfortable.

I live in Northern Indiana and the plane ride back was long since I just had surgery but other than that it was alright.

Good luck on Friday.

JoAnne

JoAnne thanks for sharing. I fly in Monday the 3rd and have surgery. I know it's not going to be like the United States but I'm okay with that because the price is so much better. I can't wait to go, I wish Sam and I had contacted each other sooner so I could have gone at the same time as her. We both are going alone. I'm the only one scheduled to surgery Monday but I'm pretty independent so not too worried. When I got banded the first time my mom went to France with me. I'm most curious about the post-op diet they use. When I had my band in France the pre-op diet was applesauce, cottage chees, and yogurt the day following surgery. I was told to stick with soft things for a few day and then whatever I tolerated. I keep reading all these 2 or 4 weeks of liquid only diets before even going to mushies. What do they recommend at Banajor??? Thanks, April

I hope you'll consider Dr Kuri also. he is far, far more experienced. He has a brand new hospital that would challenge ANY US hospital - with an ICu, ER, and IV poles WITH monitors! :-) . there are the same US call lights, electric beds, TV/DVD, and really excellent care.

with Dr Kuri, there ar 2 Inamed-trained surgeons with dr Kuri, all working on you, so your surgery is done quickly and you're not under anesthesia very long at all - which dramatically cuts down complcations and speeds recovery time.

His post-op diet is based on many years of experience, and there is no need for days and days of cler liquids. We need good nutrition to heal well.

They also put you in contact with several other patients also being banded that day (there is never a day with only 1-2 patients scheduled) so you always have a friend befor you get there.

A great many doctors and nurses choose Dr Kuri, for a good reason - and i'm one of them. Renee

Dr. Carlos didn't give the name of surgeon but told I would have a team of three bariatric surgeons, the lead surgeon being Inamed certified even though I'm having the mid-band, then there would be the usual anethesiologist and nursing staff. He did tell me the Inamed surgeons name but I don't remember to be honest. It's in one of my saved emails. In response to recommending Dr. Kuri . he wasn't the top of my list even if I hadn't chosen Banajor. I'm glad many have had good luck with him but I would have likely gone with Dr. Ortiz ( or maybe Dr. Aceves) or Dr.Zorilla in Monterrey, as Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Zorilla have worked with and trained with my first surgeon from France who is one of the bariatric surgeons that helped create the mid-band and is considered the best lap-band surgeon in France. Anyway hopefully all will go well and I'll be sharing details late next week. Thanks everyone!

April

I found the email from Dr. Carlos saying their lead surgeon is Dr. Mariano Covarrubias and that he and 2 other surgeons would be doing the surgery. That doesn't include the anesthesiologist like most web-sites that say they have 3 surgeons do. I know it isn't going to be like American but I am very secure with my choice and Dr. Carlos answers all my emails (at least once a day since scheduled and more than that when I was making the decisions--no patient consultants that don't even live in Mexico and make a commission off me going to the doctor they work for. I know since he runs the clinic that he makes money from patients coming but it different than my past experience where I worked with a great patient consultant but he often had to find out the answer to the question since he wasn't in France with the surgeon and was working for many different surgeons around the world (including Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Zorilla) Anyway, I emailed Dr. Carlos yet again to double check the doctor thing since I'm a complicated case (have had 4 abd. surgeries already and they aren't charging extra like many other doctors wanted to)

Thanks everyone!

April

Happily banded 4/3/06 at Bajanor (finally spelling it right!) I recovered easier with my first band but then again my Fibromyalgia, etc wasn't as bad back then. Dr. Miguel and Dr. Covarrubias placed my band with no problems. This was my sixth abdominal surgery so I was a bit of a complicated patient. I had another mid-band placed (major mid-band fan) and I'm down 12lbs post-op. All in all I'm so glad to be re-banded and glad I stuck to my guns on going to Bajanor. Thanks to all who shared their experiences and gave input.

April