Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liberating NSV

Wow, I have something to share! Yesterday, I picked up my mom from the airport (she's in town for the weekend) and she wanted to go out for lunch. Err.. I haven't been out to eat since I started the pre-op diet. I was a nervous wreck. I knew I wasn't going to eat anything I shouldn't but my fear was that smelling and seeing all those foods I used to be addicted to would bring back the cravings. Being a people watcher (my all time favorite hobby), I knew I wasn't going to be able to avoid seeing people enjoying what I couldn't have. Eating out used to be my way of life.

Well, we walked into Red Robin and there they were.. all these people feeding on huge burgers. I watched in amazement as they somehow unhinged their jaws to fit their gaping mouths around these monstrous globs of food… Their cheeks bulging as they smiled and chewed with Mayonnaise covered lips. Every plate of food I saw delivered to the tables seemed heaping with enough to feed 3 people.

What I expected to trigger longing and cravings actually was excellent therapy - for me. I ordered iced tea with lemon and a cup of chili - no cheese, no onions, and no crackers. Mom ordered a bowl of chili. The server looked at us like we were nuts.. “That’s –all- you want?” *laughs* When the food arrived it was served with a large round Soup spoon, I requested a regular spoon. Mom and I thoroughly enjoyed our chili, and we sat in Red Robin for 3 1/2 hours drinking tea and enjoying a wonderful visit.

As I walked out, I felt an enormous victory in my life and I remembered so many of you saying "Make your dining out time about the people you are with, not about the food." I smiled and walked out feeling so good, rather than being disgusted with myself and feeling so uncomfortably gorged. What a huge victory in my life!

Great NSV. Now you know that you can go out to eat and not be plagued by the food cravings. By the way, I absolutely LOVE Red Robin. My husband and I wish they were franchising 'cause we would open one in a hearbeat!

That is such a good feeling!!! I have to eat out alot for work (lunches mainly) and am so proud of myself when I walk out and have eaten right and don't feel like i'm going to pop!

YAY FOR YOU!!

jump.gifThat was a great NSV. How nice you got to see your mom, have a great visit AND have a good food experience...

Happy for you thumbsup.gif

The first time going out after surgery surely is an experience. I'm glad it was a good one for you. Congrats.

Thanks everyone! I knew you'd understand! It was a marvelous feeling indeed!

DOC - thanks! I've been having a realy wonderful visit with mom. :)

Jack.. you crack me up! :)

Funny Jack.... :-)

P'nut - How cool was that?? Good NSV for you. I got the appetizer when I went out the other night and ate maybe 1/2 of it. Everyone at the table just looked at me, but I felt pretty good about it, too.

So your mom's in huh? I bet she thought you looked wonderful! How nice for you guys to be able to have a leisurely visit without worrying about the food ---- and of all places, Red Robin! WOW.... not sure I could have gone without ordering the burger heaped with mayo - even if I did only eat a couple of bites - those are soooooo good.

We love Red Robin, we have to drive almost an hour to get to the closest one but it is well worth it. I order the cajun shrimp and pick off 90% of the breading. I also love the pot roast there and it reheats really well. ~Mandy

GO P'nut!!!!!! That is a BIG NSV & I am very proud of you!!!

I still remember the first time I went out to eat after being banded. I didn't have the food cravings either. However, I will never forget watching my family scarfing down their food at the table. When they were done, they all complained of their stomachs feeling so full. They burped. They had bad breath. They all waddled out the door & had to sit down for awhile, waiting for thier food to digest. I, on the other hand was so overjoyed that I didn't have any of those problems & was ready to go!!! This band really does make you feel FREE & so alive!!

We are all in such a better place, don't you agree? One bowl of chili SHOULD feel you up. Going to lunch with a Mother, SHOULD be all about your Mother & the conversation. Eating SHOULD be all about putting good nutritious food in our bodies.

Besides, those greasy hamburgers don't really taste as good as they look. Niether does chocolate, or ice cream, or brownies, or GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!! They taste TERRIBLE. Just TERRIBLE!!!!!! Ummmm......yeah. I could never eat another girl scout cookie. Never!!....................Really!!!........................I'm serious!...................................They taste TERRIBLE!!!

Oh, gotta go. The girl scouts are knocking at my door. :rolleyes

Kim - My mom almost walked right by me before I caught her eye and she finally recognized me! *grins* How cool is -that-? hehe

Red Robin lovers - The chili really is out of this world! Lots of hamburger (first I've had since.. um.. wow, I can't remember when!) Chili is very good for Protein and I didn't get the gas I usually do with canned chili.

Diane - *laughs* You goober! Did you see my title? I put that there just for YOU! *hugs*

No, I didn't see your title until just now!! HA!! You don't happen to have a GS cookie addition too do ya?! All I gotta say is that I will be VERY HAPPY when the cookie season is over. These Cookies are swarming around me.

I gotta try the Red Robin Chili!! Sounds yummy.

WTG P'nut! It's been years since I hit Red Robins. they have this burger with BBQ Sauce and cheese...oh man. I would CRAVE those back in the old days, when my eating frenzy was at it's worst. Sweet tea, plenty of it, the big burger, the fires, a side salad with Ranch dressing, just to say I had some veggies, right? and walked out stuffed because I ate it ALL!!!!! Now way, now, baby! Well done.

Hi Mom!!!!!!

Kathy, I think I have to throttle you now! I made it through Red Robin but your dinner description just made my stomach whine! LOL

Diane, nope.. no addiction to GS Cookies here. I'm not a sweet eater thank goodness. Like I said.. that title was for you! *grins*

Kathy, I think I have to throttle you now! I made it through Red Robin but your dinner description just made my stomach whine! LOL

No way! That was the OLD DISGUSTING way we USED to eat! EWWWW!

Okay, my kids want to see some of the smilies on the screen, so I'm showing off for them now, here ya go kiddos!!

:eek: :kiss2: :eek: :hungry: :biggrin1: :clap2: :faint: