Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Weight Can You Really Loose With The Lap Band?

Hello,

I am considering bariatric lap band surgery, but my only concerned is that lap band patients are estimated to only lose approximately 50% of their excess weight. I read this on several bariatric web sites, however just today I saw on Dr. David Kim's site, that he estimated 70%. Since my insurance will not help with the cost of a bariatric surgery, it will come out of my savings, and I'm not willing to pay approximately $10K to only lose 50% of my excess weight.

How Much Weight Can You Really Loose with the Lap band? :huh:

Chow,

DV817

Honestly, it all depends on your dedication to change. If you are committed to changing your eating habits and adapting a healthy lifestyle, as well as following up with your surgeon and getting fills so you have good restriction, then you can lose as much as you feel you need to.

Now, if you get the band and still eat foods that are high calorie, high fat, and unhealthy you're not going to lose. The band is a tool not a magic bullet, we still have to do the work

So really, how much you loose is totally dependent on you. I've talked to people on here that have lost 100, 200, or even more weight successfully and are now at their goal weight.

Personally, I've lost 82 pounds in 4 months so far, so I am thrilled with my band.

I was self pay as well, and I was willing to just lose 50 percent, which meant just 40 lbs, which would have put me at 200. Even 40 lbs would have been worth it. I felt so much better even at 200 lbs. But the weight lose is going to be depending alot on you. You have to be willing to work this band to its full potential. The band will not make good choices for you. The bands main purpose is to make you feel full. If you do the right things, it will do that. Even when I eat bad stuff like chips and stuff, I will feel full after just a few of them. You have to be willing to listen to the band and stop when it tells you to.

I am about 8 lbs from my goal and about 4 lbs from a normal BMI. I kept thinking that I would be fine if I stopped at 200 and then I thought I would be fine at 180. But both those number came and went and I am still heading downward. It was worth every penny so far.

Good luck on your decision

How much weight you actually lose all depends on you. The totals vary for each person. Banding is a slower pace than the bypass or sleeve but, it is also much safer. I know people in all the categories that after a few years weigh as much now as they did before their surgery. (most of the ones I know had the bypass, there was no such thing as a band at their time) I know that you will probably hear different opinions, in the end it all boils down to how committed you are to changing your lifestyle and getting the job done. If your not going to do that then dont spend your money on any of them.

I have the Realize Band and now total 171 pounds lost, it has been slow but at least I feel much healthier now than ever before

I agree it's all about the dedication you put into working with the lapband. Once you have it the weight isn''t going to just fall off, it's learning and sticking to new eating habits, exercise, better food choices. There will be good days and bad.. its a lifelong journey, one you need to be prepared to make. I have had my band in since january and still don't have a fill and still losing weight., everyone is different, don't every compare yourself to anyone else. Good Luck

If you are dedicated to 100% following the lifestyle changes, then all of it. There are those very, VERY rare cases where the band does not work at all through no fault of the patient. Most who "fail" do not follow the general rules recommended by their Dr's.

We all lose or gain at our own pace. We are all different, but we share a common goal that is

wanting to lose the weight. I know it is easier said and done, I have had lots of struggles of working

towards losing my weight. I don't think about goals or how much I plan to lose because I really don't know yet!

All I can do is be patient with myself and stay on the path and having wonderful friends and family that support me in losing the weight. They have witness what I have been going through for so many years. It's not fun losing the weight and I don't have fantasy of what I will look like once I do obtain the weight loss!

There are so many times I could have a magic wand to help me lose the weight! LOL :D

Hang in there and be patient it just takes time!