Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Counting??

Has anyone been counting calories and eating low carb at the sametime? What calorie number goal have you made for yourself? How much have you lost?

I just joined My fitness pal yesterday. I am really hoping I can remember to keep up with the food diary on that site.. However, I wasn't told to count calories only Protein but wanting to make sure my dietician can't be rude again.

I just joined My fitness pal yesterday. I am really hoping I can remember to keep up with the food diary on that site.. However' date=' I wasn't told to count calories only Protein but wanting to make sure my dietician can't be rude again.[/quote']

Was your dietician rude to you? Why? What number were you told to stay within for Protein? I too joined Myfitnesspal... It's telling me 1300 calories per day, but I think it seems high.

It is telling u the amount u need to lose 2 lb a week as that's what is a healthy amount. As u lose, the number will decrease

Yes, she was rude. Nothing I said was right even though its what our "book" said.. If I said I ate chicken salad, she would tell me that I need to eat tuna salad.. I said I didn't like eggs but insists that I need to eat them anyways..She says to eat until your full no matter what amount it is. She thinks if the band is working any amount of food is healthy as long as you eat less than you did before surgery. The Dr says no more than 1/2 cup at one meal.

According to my dietician, we should be eating 60-80 grams of Protein a day. But she prefers the high side (80grams) of Protein.< /p>

Yes, she was rude. Nothing I said was right even though its what our "book" said.. If I said I ate chicken salad, she would tell me that I need to eat tuna salad.. I said I didn't like eggs but insists that I need to eat them anyways..She says to eat until your full no matter what amount it is. She thinks if the band is working any amount of food is healthy as long as you eat less than you did before surgery. The Dr says no more than 1/2 cup at one meal.

According to my dietician, we should be eating 60-80 grams of Protein a day. But she prefers the high side (80grams) of Protein.< /p>

Mine is the same way. I've just learned not to tell her stuff. I'm following my book and the doctor says I'm doing great and my food choices are great too. I told her that I sometimes put a scoop of Peanut Butter in my shakes to make them taste better. She griped about the fat in it. I told her I had to switch to lactaid and she griped about the sugars in that. I told her that I snack on hummus (great food choice) with four saltines. She griped about the carbs. I've just learned that she's not going to like anything I do.

And she's the one with the Dr. Pepper sitting on her desk and telling me where to buy sugar free marshmellow dip. Really? Geesh.

my doctor says at least 60 grams Protein and under 1000 calories. I know I won't lose very much at 1000 calories, so I have set 800-900 calories as a personal goal.

I have been on a very low carb, high Protein diet since the beginning. I have an 800 calorie per day limit. With this few calories there really isn't much room for anything BUT protein and veggies!!!! It has been working great for me UNTIL the last month! I haven't lost an oz. this month so its very frustrating. Grr!! Luckily my dietician is not mean or nasty, for that matter, she's not particularly anything!!! Kind of useless. lol

Dr. Pepper on her desk... Hahaha, classic!!! For the last 2 weeks, I've been at a weight loss stand still! I think I will lower my calorie intake to 700-800, continue low carbs, and up my cardio. Banded on 4/13, I've lost 24 lbs. Next Tues I should be getting my first fill. Since being banded, I believe the amount of food I eat has not changed, but the lbs haves dropped because of the low carb and exercising. I hope that my fill will allow me to see the scale drop!!!! Another thing is I must drink more water... But I've never been a big fan of Water and drinking about 25 onces... I already fill water logged!!! I believe it is recommended to drink 64 oz!!! Lol DROWN ME!!!

On the average day I get in well over 100 grams of Protein. I eat greek yogurt and put kashi in it. That's a lot of protein there too. Just read labels. You'll be surprised how fast it adds up.

If you want to count calories, I recommend my fitness pal. I swore I'd never be a calorie counter, but now I'm very conscientious about it. It makes you accountable to yourself and allows you to realize what you are putting in your body. Stuff everyone always told me, I just had to be ready for it.

If you join, my username is corilinn. Friend me, I'd be more than happy to cheer for you!

I've been using the Fitness Pal since surgery in late January. Like Corilinn, I never journaled food for any diet over the years. Did it maybe a few days then found it to be a bother. For some reason, I have been faithful journaling my food and love all the tools Fitness Pal offers us. I have modified the calorie intake to 800 cals a day. When I exercise, typically every other day in the gym, I will eat more calories. On the alternate days I'm less active, although my FitBit tells me I've been active, I try to eat between 800-900 calories a day. So far it's been working for me.

Sorry to hear that a few of you here don't have the support from your nutrionist. I've shared a few things with my nutritionist who works in conjunction with the WLS center I go to, and she was fine with it. Yes, I too, put a Tblsp of natural Peanut Butter and a half of a small bananna in my Protein chocolate shake after a good workout. Yes, I have a cup of coffe every morning. And yes, I eat hummus everyday with a hardboiled egg, wheat thins or celery. Of course, it's all in moderation. But it's a hell of a lot better then what & how much I was eating prior to the surgery. And being 100% more active to boot!

Waiting patiently: do you know if there is any consequence to going over the Protein recommendation?

Other than a few patients that don't tolerate the high Protein diet, I think its the more protein the better. I have a girlfriend that tends to develope kidney and gall stones quicker when she follows a high protein diet.