Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still trying to decide...

Jonathan: It sounds as if you are talking about the VBG (Vertical Banded Gastroplasty) rather than the VG (Vertical Gastrectomy). Am I correct?

Also, you may find my complication story slightly interesting: http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13592

Anthony,

We're not talking about the VBG. We're talking about the VanGuard lapband. It's the largest of the Inamed lapbands (11 MM, I believe, 10 CC capacity), and is less prone to slipping than the 9.75 and 10 MM bands.

Dear Jonathan,

I'm so sorry for your situation. I do agree with DevilMayCare that some of us here may face the same situation you are in now some day.

I have such a hard time with any type of surgery (I'm a big baby).

If I was in your shoes I believe I would want only one surgery and have the Van guard band replaced with the old slipped one.

I totally rulled out the RNY because of the whole re-routed intestines thing, just thinking of that makes me shake.< /p>

I believe that's why most of us here chose to go the Lap-band way because it was a safer proceedure. I wish you soooo much luck in what ever decision you make.

Hi Jonathon

Best wishes with this really difficult decision. Having met people who converted from the band to gastric bypass I would probably opt to try the VG band first before the RNY. But........if i had no other option I would go RNY and so would they. I know someone who had to get their third band over the top of a DS.

hi

Yip,its a catch 22 situation isnt it?I'm in exactly the same situation at the moment as my surgeon is pushing to test and remove and I say wait.....need to lose more weight or have plan B in action......

But what will plan B be.....?

((Hugs))

I was thinking of you just last week, wondering what was going to happen. Well even though you weren't taking a vote --- I would go w/#3-the VG band. If its an option- horray for you & what a JOY it will be when it works well. Plus worse case the rny could be done further down the line if that was what you so desired. My two friends that had rny both gained 35 & 30 pounds back from the original 90 that they lost. That stat scares me just like you. What ever you do decide & know you'll be successful & look forward to hearing all about your journey! Love & Luck!

I'm scheduled for band removal on Tuesday, March 14th.

I've been in a pretty intensive spiritual program for the past few weeks and have made serious progress in my personal weight loss journey. I have high hopes that I, like so many from this board who have lost their bands, can be one of the 5-10% who keep the weight off and continue losing.

If it's ok with you all, I won't just disappear after my band does. I've been part of this community for a while now, and feel that I still have something to give back to it.

Jonathan

Jonathan -

You better not go ANYWHERE. You stay RIGHT here - being a Bandster is more than just having a silicone band inserted somewhere so you belong here with us.

I have another (eek) UpperGI test tomorrow to find out if this 5-year-old antique LapBand I have has any life left in it. I suspect my (hopefully if he takes me on) new surgeon will find fault with it as I have the old school protocol and subsequent issues.

So you're not the only one facing some tough decisions. I wish you all the luck in the world - and the biggest HUG ever.

Happy Band (and UnBanded) Journeys to all...

. I've been part of this community for a while now, and feel that I still have something to give back to it.

Jonathan

You certainly do. I hang on your every word, you know that, right? You should consider "moderating" a spiritual issues thread. I'd LOVE to join in on a Christian-based discussion group...something like that? I know for certain others would love to participate, and we'd need some pastoring, right? hmmmmm.

Anyhow, March 14th. Have you decided for sure to go bandless for now? No VG band if it's possible? I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing how it all goes.

I don't believe there is any evidence at all that the VG band will have fewer slips. it is so new that this information simply is not available yet.

It is theorized that it MAY have a lesser chance of erosion than the other Inamed bands becuase of the design, but even this will take years to evaluate. This info is direct from the Inamed/Allergan people at the recent Seattle Bash. renee