Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery And Healing From Tummy Tuck

I realize there are many different procedures for this, however wondering if someone can share what recovery is like? How much time off of work, drains, compression wer etc.....

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I had a TT (and breast life/implants) on 1.30.12 and I am still recovering. I was scheduled off work for 2 weeks only and probably could have gone back at the two week mark, but decided to stay out an additional two. The drains were horrible because they were painful, always in the way, couldn't wear normal clothes and were gross, but I only had them for 8 days. I had a pain pump so that helped a lot the first two weeks. You will need help gettting in and out of bed and to bathe and it will be slow going at least for the first 7-10 days, but it does got better after that. It has been almost 4 weeks and my incisions hurt along with some of the skin above my incision, but it is tolerable. I have gone for two massages so far to help with the hard areas and lumps and to help with the swelling. The swelling is pretty bad and I am told it will take 3-4 months for it to really go away. My biggest complaint right now is my clothes rubbing on the incision making it painful and the swelling. I am still very pleased with the results so far and know they will only get better.

Oh and the compression garments, my doctor recommended that I buy another from Marenagroup.com. I did and it is much nicer than the one from the surgery although I do still wear that one at night. You have to wear them 24 hours a day (or at least 22-23). I only take mine off when they are in the laundry or I am in the shower. I would recommend you wear a tank top or small shirt to wear under the binder between it and your skin. It will be much more comfotable, but possibly hot in the summer.

As far as exercise, my doctor recommended at week two that I walk outside or on a treamill. Nothing strenuous, but need to get back into my routine and get the swelling down. It is apparently common for the swelling to sit above the incision for weeks as it slowly is removed from the body.