Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Tell Me Your Favorite Meals!!!

I'm having lapband surgery on March 6th Banane36.gif I want to go food shipping before hand but have no idea what I need. Can you please tell me some of your healthy meals that you enjoy. I'm sure this has been done before but for the newbies it would be much appreciated.

Please post some of your favorite meals..

I like chicken Legs or thighs done in shake n Bake, "CHOPS ARE GOOD TOO" Then a1/4 cup of Mashed Potatoes, 1/8 cup of chicken gravy.

Corned Beef is high in Protein, and I do it in the slow crock cooker.

Steak use the Tenderloin or Fillet Mignon, and a small Baked Potato,

I do a lot of Cottage cheese, Chicken salad, tuna salad.< /p>

Chicken Nuggets dipped in BBQ Sauce.< /p>

I love eating Fish or Shrimp the best. I'll add some deep fried Mushrooms, and that's good.

Just a few ideas, hope this helps, and as you see, you can eat most foods, just make sure there soft.

Shirley

This will be about 3-4 weeks after surgery,

For the liquid stage I just got tired of not having any flavor in food. So I had my dad get me a big container of hot and sour Soup from the Chinese restaurant. I strained out all the good stuff and had that. It was like a man on a deserted island having a steak. And I mixed it with flavorless Protein if I was hadn't enough that day.

For mushy week, cottage cheese (one of my favs anyway) was awesome and oatmeal with cinnamon...oh my. The great thing about cottage cheese is you can mush it down quite a bit. Many recommend ricotta with spaghetti sauce and that's good too.

Soft foods are just that soft. I was told "anything I can cut with a fork" and I replied "I can cut a lot with a fork!"

liquid stage i found that the boxed or canned chicken or beef broth was way too salty but i loved campbells chicken noodle or veg beef Soup (strained), also sf Jello, and sf pudding , frozen taste like ice cream ! mushy stage mushed up baked potatoes ,mmmmmm., and mushed up baked chicken no skin. tuna fish with a little lite mayo, cottage cheese , yogurt , bananas, applesauce,

Hot and sour Soup is still a mainstay in my diet 10 months later. I also love avocados & when i crave pizzai make on on a small flour tortilla shell. Oh & cottage cheese!

Jugo juice (do they have this in the USA?) Tropical Protein shakes...once you get to smoothies, these were fabulous! I could manage about 1/2 of a big shake..about 180 calories and they are really good for you. Too bad, I can't have these anymore.

I LOVVVVVVEDD mashed cauliflower, which I still eat today and I am 5 months out. Sometimes I'll eat it by its self for days. I make it with low sodium chicken broth which I steam the cauliflower in, light sour cream, 1/4 reduced fat cheese, salt-pepper to taste. I use my emersion blender to mash it down. It is to die for.rolleyes.gif

Congrats for off.....

I'm a year post op, to be exact, today is my 1 yr bandiversary!! :-D I'm only down 60 lbs but my life couldn't be better!!

I have a couple favorites. There are many things I can not eat at all anymore. bread is very hard... wraps, steak any dry meats, those are all rough. I don't know if you have a Sam's Club in your area but I always get the Parmesean Crusted Tilapia already made. It's almost 30 grams of Protein per filet. YUMMY! Another favorite is Tablouli. Most people don't know what that is but it's absolutley delicious and sooo healthy! Just aski for it in any grocery store. Anything in a crockpot.. that all goes down east it seems. Soups, just watch the sodium content. I aim for under 1000 mg a day. For Snacks I'll eat turkey perperoni w low fat or fat free cheese and triscuits. My absolute fav for snacking, which I never seem to get tired of is sliced strawberries and bananas with low fat or fat free whipped cream. you can also throw in some bluberries, grapes, rasberries... ect. Just be careful with fruits that have skin on them. (blueberries, peaches...)

Just an FYI, it will take you a while to be able to feel restriction. It took me a good 3 or 4 fills to really be able to feel anything. Heck, I'm a yr out and I still havnt reached that sweet spot. However long youre on a liquid diet remember to stay strong. That was so mentally tough for me. Stay strong and don't give up. Lap Band is not the answer to becoming skinny.. it's a change of life. You will reroute your entire life to becoming healthy!

Good Luck and remember, we are your banded family!

<3 Lots of Love and Prayers!

-Ronni

P.S sorry for the novel! just told you what i wish i knew back then.

Congrats for off.....

I'm a year post op, to be exact, today is my 1 yr bandiversary!! :-D I'm only down 60 lbs but my life couldn't be better!!

I have a couple favorites. There are many things I can not eat at all anymore. bread is very hard... wraps, steak any dry meats, those are all rough. I don't know if you have a Sam's Club in your area but I always get the Parmesean Crusted Tilapia already made. It's almost 30 grams of Protein per filet. YUMMY! Another favorite is Tablouli. Most people don't know what that is but it's absolutley delicious and sooo healthy! Just aski for it in any grocery store. Anything in a crockpot.. that all goes down east it seems. Soups, just watch the sodium content. I aim for under 1000 mg a day. For Snacks I'll eat turkey perperoni w low fat or fat free cheese and triscuits. My absolute fav for snacking, which I never seem to get tired of is sliced strawberries and bananas with low fat or fat free whipped cream. you can also throw in some bluberries, grapes, rasberries... ect. Just be careful with fruits that have skin on them. (blueberries, peaches...)

Just an FYI, it will take you a while to be able to feel restriction. It took me a good 3 or 4 fills to really be able to feel anything. Heck, I'm a yr out and I still havnt reached that sweet spot. However long youre on a liquid diet remember to stay strong. That was so mentally tough for me. Stay strong and don't give up. Lap Band is not the answer to becoming skinny.. it's a change of life. You will reroute your entire life to becoming healthy!

-Ronni

loved your post and got losts of info! we have a place here called java juice

Congrats for off.....

-Ronni

So helpful!! thank you!!!

I'm having lapband surgery on March 6th Banane36.gif I want to go food shipping before hand but have no idea what I need. Can you please tell me some of your healthy meals that you enjoy. I'm sure this has been done before but for the newbies it would be much appreciated.

Hello,

I am serching for food ideas too. I don't think the advice from 54shirley is good advice. Steak and fried foods and gravy should probably be avoided for the MOST part. They can be hard to digest and just too high in fat! We are trying to change bad habits and eat healthy foods. We shouldn't continue eating the things that probably got us here in the 1st place. Good luck to you! JEN

Hello, again.

Jean McMillan, a member, wrote a cookbook and has a few blogs. Google "Band Wagon". Hope this helps too. JEN

Actually Shirley's suggestions were spot on. She didn't say anything about fried foods(except the mushrooms). Steak is healthy if you are able to eat it.Have you ever heard of grilling or baking it? Most foods require some kind of sauce post band. Dry foods are very hard to eat. Gravy does not have to be full of fat, it can be made with stock, flour or cornflour and a stock cube or other seasoning to your taste.

Actually Shirley's suggestions were spot on. She didn't say anything about fried foods(except the mushrooms). Steak is healthy if you are able to eat it.Have you ever heard of grilling or baking it? Most foods require some kind of sauce post band. Dry foods are very hard to eat. Gravy does not have to be full of fat, it can be made with stock, flour or cornflour and a stock cube or other seasoning to your taste.

The only vegetables mentioned were potatoes and deep fried mushrooms. She did mention fried foods,(deep fried mushrooms are fried foods). Believe it or not, I have heard of grilling and baking! Legs and thighs are not the leanest part of the chicken. Corned beef is a very fatty meat. Whether or not you believe it, these foods are not the healthiest choices a person can make. We can all make our own choices. I simply disagree that the above suggested foods would be good choices for post opp. The initial inquiry was that this person was looking for suggestions for POST-OPP foods to shop for. So....Not "spot on"

Well I posted that info., and I believe your not quite rite !

Corned Beef is a excellent Protein dish. Served with Cabbage ,Potato, onion is a good dish.

My Surgeon told me to eat the dark meat from chicken, the white meat is to dry for me to swallow, and the calorie difference is not significant.

Pork is high in Protein, and baking it locks the juiciness in.

Seafood or Fish is always a good choice.

Steak I like mine wrapped in Foil 2 x, and smothered with onions, peppers, and mushrooms. sprinkled with oregano, then baked in a 500 degree oven for 1 hour. You never had a more TENDER Steak.

Mushrooms can be oven baked or deep fried ? Other vegetables,,, You can have what you can tolerate.

Everyday is a different day with the band, so I take it one day at a time.

If you see this as wrong, then that's up to you.

But the Question was Can you tell me your favorite meals ?

These are all possibles. Including Lamb when I can get it, BBQ on a Grill is also great.

Look these foods up on calorie king and you will see they are high protein foods.

Remember: I'm talking about quality,"THE BEST YOU CAN GET" and quantity " LESS IS MORE !"

So I agree with elcee. Except for a hiccup or 2 This is all SPOT ON !

Thanks elcee.

Shirley.