Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and nervous

Hello.

My name is Kim and I am currently weighing in at 285. I am the mom of 2 children.

Ethan born April 2002 and Rachel born December 2005.

I have been heavy pretty much all my life and feel I need to do something about it.

My health benefits do NOT cover the surgery and it will cost $17,120.00 for the procedure.

Was it REALLY worth having it done?

Would it be worth the money?

Please help me understand this and thank you for your time.

Kim

I think I would ask, how much have you spent on weight loss diets and items and ideas and unused gym memberships, et al, over the years? I believe almost all the people here would pay that and more for this opportunity. *smile* I'm reminded of the post where the lady WANTED to binge, but her band would not let her. VOILA!

Hey Kim,

I'm pre band too but I have been hanging out here in the forum for awhile. The more I hang around here the more I decide its a GREAT decision. I am like you around 250 and have been overweight my whole life. I know that if I added up all the money I have spent it would probably be the same amount as the band. Heck this year alone I spent around 200€ on a nutritionalist and 350€ on a gym membership that has yet to be used. It's expensive, but some people have gone to Mexico with good results, or over to Europe as well. There are some other options. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I am also self pay $16250.00 but if I can loose weight and become healthier its worth every penny to me!!

For me, having lap band surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself, my health, and my family. I am just a happier, healthier person these days. I have a ways to go still, but nontheless, I'm 55lbs lighter than I was a year ago.

BTW- I love the name Ethan. I'm expecting my 2nd child and was considering naming him Ethan if it's a boy. I just found out that I'm having a girl, so she'll be Isabel.

I had the surgery almost two years ago. Insurance didn't cover me either and I was very lucky to have my mom pay 18,000 so I could have the chance to change my life. It was the best thing to ever happen to me. But it's not the cure to everything, it is a great tool, but you still have to work to get all the weight off.

Hey Girlie,

I too am like you! I am also a newbie. My theroy is "screw" the financial aspect of your decision.... think about your two little babies. They NEED a mother. That is my driving force behind my decision.

Keep that in mind!

K

Hi, I was fortunate enought that my insurance did cover most of the procedure. However, I would have had it done regardless, and I can't tell you how happy I am that I did. This has been by far the easiest weight loss I have ever had (and yes, I am even talking about with all the side effects - pb's, frothing, sliming, etc). I have 3 little girls and they were a big part of my decision to do this.

If I were you, I would appeal the insurance decision, esp if they cover the gastric by-pass. The banding is much more common now so you never know.

Good luck!

I am about the same as you, started at 290 and after the preop diet and this week of fluids (I am 6 days post op) I am 268 as of this morning. I am a single mom of twins who are 3 and it was worth every penny! On my list of goals is to not be the "fat mom" and to take them to the Water parks when they are older and not be embarrassed to do those things! I kinda looked at it like it's for their future too, so I can be around without health problems. Not to mention I will be able to keep up better on bikes, soccer, etc, now.

I am very happy with my decision...and am not even on "real" food yet!! :clap2:

Kell

. I am a single mom of twins who are 3 and it was worth every penny! On my list of goals is to not be the "fat mom" and to take them to the Water parks when they are older and not be embarrassed to do those things!

Kell

Hey Kell, my twins just turned 4 last Tuesday and they were a huge part of my decision. Do you have boys, girls or one of each? Good luck to you!

Hi Julie!

I have a girl and a boy and they will be 4 in July. Twins are definitely an experience! :D:) But it's a blast and getting better as they get older!!

Kell

Hi Julie!

I have a girl and a boy and they will be 4 in July. Twins are definitely an experience! :P:) But it's a blast and getting better as they get older!!

Kell

Congrats - so far, I have found 3 to be the most challenging age - Hoping we are finally out of the horrific 3's - LOL.

I've been thinking about this since you posted it. Just now, I was on the American Association for Bariatric Surgery website, and this jumped out at me:

Surgical treatment is medically necessary

because it is the only proven method of achieving

long term weight control for the morbidly obese.

In my opinion, that says it all.