Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like I know this answer, but I want to see what others have done and/or plan to do. My surgery is scheduled for Monday and I am doing fantastic on my liquid diet. I don't want to binge eat, but I just want to have one meal that I can chew and swallow and enjoy before surgery. I may even go sorta healthy. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences? I was planning on doing the meal on Saturday.

To me it would depend on whether your doctor told you to stay on liquids until surgery. If so than no don't eat a meal. I had lost my required weight (30 lbs) as well as an additional 20 and was not on a liquid diet. So I did have a small meal for lunch the day before. Please remember many people don't have horror stories of never again being able to eat a favorite food. So I would say why insist on eating pizza or chinese before your weight loss surgery when you will be able to eat it (if you must have it) a month later?

It's not I feel like I will miss foods, I think I just wanted to eat something since I have another 3 weeks of liquid after. I guess I knew the answer, I just wanted to see what others have done. I have lost 21lbs in less than a month so in my head I was thinking what would it hurt. I guess thats how I got fat in the first place! 001_tongue.gif

I just hate that other get to eat the whole time up to surgery and some (like me) are liquids only. <big sigh, pity party for me!> 001_smile.gif

I agree with honk. If your doctor said strictly liquids before surgery, then I wouldn't eat a meal. The whole purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver. Your liver is the first place to gain fat but also the first place to lose it, and he needs your liver shrunk so he can safely access your stomach. Otherwise, you risk injury to your liver or even having your surgery postponed if the surgeon feels the liver is too big.

I'd definitely wait. It's just not worth the risks in my opinion.

To me it would depend on whether your doctor told you to stay on liquids until surgery. If so than no don't eat a meal. I had lost my required weight (30 lbs) as well as an additional 20 and was not on a liquid diet. So I did have a small meal for lunch the day before. Please remember many people don't have horror stories of never again being able to eat a favorite food. So I would say why insist on eating pizza or chinese before your weight loss surgery when you will be able to eat it (if you must have it) a month later?

In addition, I didnt say I wanted pizza or chinese, I actually want some baked chicken breast on lettuce leaves. I don't think my post stated I wanted bad food. Hm....

I agree with Honk, you are on the liquid diet and should stay there. You don't want to ruin a good thing by starting to eat again. It is hard, but many of us have gone through the "tunnel" and made it out the other end! I would not take chances if I were you. But, this is a decision you have to make for yourself. Good luck, Karen

I had a Ribeye steak with all the trimmings about a week before surgery! The protean drinks flushes your system so it certainly will not be there!

I had a Ribeye steak with all the trimmings about a week before surgery! The protean drinks flushes your system so it certainly will not be there!

Thank you. I just wanted to see what people have done.

I didn't post this topic so I could get responses telling me why I was on the liquid diet and what my doctors want. I know all of this. I just simply wanted to know what people did. If you weren't on a liquid diet at all, then you don't need to tell me that and that you had a a meal. I feel like the last few things I posted, I just get back a lecture when I just want a simple answer. I am sorry if I sound a little harsh and pissy, but I just want to know if people did or didn't.

I was on a liquid + veggies diet 2 weeks before surgery. 2 days before surgery I had veggie fajitas. I still lost 13lbs in those 2 weeks. I say go for it but just don't over do it. After surgery tho I have not once cheated. Too scared to gain.

Thank you. I just wanted to see what people have done. I didn't post this topic so I could get responses telling me why I was on the liquid diet and what my doctors want. I know all of this. I just simply wanted to know what people did. If you weren't on a liquid diet at all, then you don't need to tell me that and that you had a a meal. I feel like the last few things I posted, I just get back a lecture when I just want a simple answer. I am sorry if I sound a little harsh and pissy, but I just want to know if people did or didn't.

And yes the Dr told me to be on protean drinks and yogurt stuff for 2 weeks!

I had to loose 15 lbs before surgery, or he would postpone the date.

My surgery was on a Monday morning.

I had my final meeting, weigh in with the surgeon the Friday before. All went well.

Saturday, I had my last meal. I wanted to go somewhere I would never go to again.

A all you can eat Chinese Buffet! I pigged out!

That was a Saturday, so Sunday I fasted, no food at all except maybe one shake in the morning. Monday was surgey!

That was over a year ago, have never been back there again. Why would I? What pay the money for one small portion?

It's not I feel like I will miss foods, I think I just wanted to eat something since I have another 3 weeks of liquid after. I guess I knew the answer, I just wanted to see what others have done. I have lost 21lbs in less than a month so in my head I was thinking what would it hurt. I guess thats how I got fat in the first place! 001_tongue.gif

I just hate that other get to eat the whole time up to surgery and some (like me) are liquids only. <big sigh, pity party for me!> 001_smile.gif

I had a last supper - but I had it the day before I started my liquid diet. I agree with the others that say don't do it. If you want someone to compare yourself to - I had to do 3 weeks of Protein shakes only. I didn't get one healthy meal a day, no fruit, nothing - just Protein shakes! It was horrible, and I'm glad it's over - but I'm just as glad I did it. Also keep in mind - that the purpose of this diet is to shrink your liver so you have a safer surgery. Don't risk the consequences of damage to your liver in surgery!

Lastly - most people go into bandster hell after surgery, where they can eat anything and everything they want with no restriction what so ever. I had my surgery on 9/15/11 - and I can still eat as much as I want and whatever I want. I'm not doing that - but it wouldn't be hard for me to do at all.

I would follow your doctor's orders, before and after surgery. You will be giving yourself the best chance of success with no complications. I'm not saying I didn't cheat at all, but I waited until I was on solid food again (3 weeks post surgery) before I experimented with various types of foods and portion sizes. This surgical procedure is risky and it costs a lot of money, so the last thing I wanted was for it to fail, because I couldn't follow the pre-op and post-op guidelines. Try to stick with the diet and remember this is hardly your last meal!

Thank you. I just wanted to see what people have done.

I didn't post this topic so I could get responses telling me why I was on the liquid diet and what my doctors want. I know all of this. I just simply wanted to know what people did. If you weren't on a liquid diet at all, then you don't need to tell me that and that you had a a meal. I feel like the last few things I posted, I just get back a lecture when I just want a simple answer. I am sorry if I sound a little harsh and pissy, but I just want to know if people did or didn't.

No offense, but you asked specifically "Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?" As I see it, we shared our thoughts and experiences and you don't like the answer, so you get pissy.

We gave you our thoughts and the facts that explain why we feel as we do- and we gave them in hopes of helping you

As you also stated, "I feel like I know this answer", so then do whatever you want to do. But do not get snarky with us for simply giving you exact information you've asked for. Especially when we're only trying to help.

I am on a liquid diet, however, I can have 4oz of meat and 1/2 cup of veggies. I usually eat backed chicken and carrots. Seeing that your only going to do it once and its something that is a Protein and veggie I wouldn't think that would harm you. If you had stated you wanted Burger King then my response of course would be different. Good luck!