Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Vs. Sleeve - Really Upset...

Yes Dr Singh did mention plication, and he said it's "experimental" so it's not covered.

Dr. Singh is very knowledgable and his practice at St Agnes hospital has one several awards and certificates of excellence and whatnot. I heard about him from a friend of a friend and I've been very happy with him. But because he is so popular its difficult to get a lot of face time with him (so it might be hard to find time to ask him about the iBand).

I lost 130% of my excess weight on the band. If I had to remove the band, I would replace it with another band. Because I know it works. I know the sleeve works too, but better the devil I know and all that! I used to have the biggest sleeve envy, but someone then said to me - but the band has been so successful for you, and I thought, actually, he's right! Why the hell am I knocking something that worked?

I ate well, I exercised, hell yes I did those things. Because I figured if I lose it now, the band will help me keep it off. And it did. If you've lost weight before, hunny, this will be a breeze. Be disciplined, lose the weight, get your fills and pretty soon, the band will be 'kicking in' and doing a lot of the Portion Control work for you.

And wrt the pregnancy, I have had friends who chose the band specifically because, once they got pregnant, the band could be unfilled so that they could eat enough to nourish themselves and their babies. Once they stopped breastfeeding, they started getting fills again and the band put them back on their weight loss journey.

yea my doc asked me if I lost weight before using diet, and I told him yes. He told me that I shouldnt have a problem with the band then. he told me ppl who cant lose weight dieting need not waste their time with the band.

So here I am and now I'm seeing all the reasons why the band is the right choice for me now. tongue.png

Also, I weight 260 right now, and I really dont want to lose more than 70 lbs (Im 5'10). It seems (in the back of my mind) a bit extreme to remove 80% of my stomach permanently ... for 60-70 lbs .... or so I like to think.

Also, I weight 260 right now, and I really dont want to lose more than 70 lbs (Im 5'10). It seems (in the back of my mind) a bit extreme to remove 80% of my stomach permanently ... for 60-70 lbs .... or so I like to think.

I'm 5'10" also.....if I can get to 170, 175, I will be ecstatic!

Shauna - where do you live? Have you ever considered plus sized modeling? Check out my website www.sydneywyatt.com

Beautiful pictures, Sydney! I actually did some when I was younger (too old now!).

Bottom line is this, its ultimately your decision BUT once they cut your stomach out and suck it out of you thats it, your now perminantly altered for life so any further complications down the road you will have to deal with. With the band should anything arise it can always COME OUT. This is the EXACT reason among many others why i wouldnt get anything but the band, not even for a million dollars. My surgeon also said because of my high BMI the band might not be as successfull, but i told him flat out the band is the absolute only thing i will remotely consider and thats it and he didnt even argue with me about he said ok sure no problem. This is YOUR life, not your surgeons, not your familys its YOURS. Make the decision thats best for you, there are many pros and cons to ANY surgery, but the band is the absolute safest out of all of them and your far less likely to have a complication from it than the other surgeries! Goodluck!