Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Lap-band Right For Me?

Restriction will stop the quantity

Some where down the road you will find that your taste for some things really don't mean that much to you anymore, and you will lose interest in it..

It's not a big deal! You will come to grips with certain things that you can't eat, and you will get over it.

I was bread at every meal. I don't dare touch the stuff. I loved boneless chicken breast. I haven't had that in a very long time, but I eat the Dark meat instead. It's more juicy, so it doesn't get stuck that easy for me.

You will learn to Adapt, and maybe make some sacrifices to have that band. But it's worth it !

For me the food was a addiction, so,,, giving it up, once use to it was like quitting smoking. It bugged you for a few times, and then it was gone. So I really don't miss the stuff that I don't eat.

Hope that breaks it down for you.

I have not had my surgery yet but I too was worried about what foods i would no longer be able to eat. I LOVE steak. I love the juiciness, the flavour, I just love everything about it.

When I explained to my husband that one of the set backs was that I may no longer be able to eat steak and enjoy the food I love now he laughed and said "hunny that's the least of our worries besides there is nothing saying you cannot chew steak and enjoy the flavour of food just don't swallow it!"

In the end they types of food you can or cannot eat is not that important as long as you are alive and healthy. Well that is the conclusion I came to any way.

As far as the steak issue - I find I eat tenderloin - yes the expensive stuff but since I only eat 1/4 of what I used to the cost isn't that much of an issue. You choose a better quality but you eat a lot less of it so it evens out in the long run. As far as Buns I don't eat them very often - I have to be in a good place - not stressed out and not eating FAST! That was the hardest habit to change - and not drinking anything while eating. If things are really dry I may take a small sip of Water - just enough to wet it....and you learn not to "finish" things. I can now leave bites of food or even half of something. Growing up to finish off your plate is ingrained in me! I find when I haven't eaten something I really LOVED before sometimes it just doesn't taste as good anymore because your taste buds change....if you don't eat sweets for a while things taste sweeter when you do eat them...too sweet sometimes - HONEST! Good luck only you can decide if it's what you want to do. Are there any support groups you can go to before the decision is made? I learned a lot more from them than I did from any doctor or hospital visit. Take your time... Linda

I think that some of you are thinking this has to do with will power. After a few fills, you physically cannot eat some of these things. You swallow it and it won't go past the band and it has to come back up. It has nothing to do with will power when it comes to steak and such. I cannot eat steak no matter how much I chew. I cannot eat bread. It will not go down and it hurts to come back up.

This is so true. The foods I can no longer eat have nothing to do with willpower or choosing not to eat them. I have read some posts that say "I refuse to deny myself food". For me, it has nothing to do with denying myself any type of food. The band will not let me eat those things. I am ok with no longer being able to every type of food in the world. These foods I can no longer eat must have been part of the reason I was obese. It has been very easy for me. It has been very basic .... insert band, get a couple fills, the weight melted off. So what if I can't eat steak or bread. I went from a size 24 jeans to a size 10!

I can eat any food I want and I am at restriction. The biggest thing for me is choosing when I will eat something. I don't eat hamburgers or pizza on a regular basis anymore. In my opinion we need to reevaluate our eating habits. Having red meat daily is not healthy. Having it once a month is fine. I don't think you have to give up food you like forever; you just should'nt be eating daily.

You get lots of help from the band but you absolutely have to be ready, willing, and able to make changes in your behavior.

This is so true. The foods I can no longer eat have nothing to do with willpower or choosing not to eat them. I have read some posts that say "I refuse to deny myself food". For me, it has nothing to do with denying myself any type of food. The band will not let me eat those things. I am ok with no longer being able to every type of food in the world. These foods I can no longer eat must have been part of the reason I was obese. It has been very easy for me. It has been very basic .... insert band, get a couple fills, the weight melted off. So what if I can't eat steak or bread. I went from a size 24 jeans to a size 10!

I have lost my taste for things that my band refuses to accept. Yeah, burgers on Buns were a favorite of mine, and they still "sound" great. But I know it won't go down, so that makes it unappetizing. So, I don't consider it denying myself. When we BBQ burgers, the hubs has a regular one, and does me up a veggie one with no bun. I am completely happy and satisfied with my choice. I know the veggie burger will go down, I also know that a regular hamburger (bun or not) won't. It makes the choice very easy.

Since my last fill, pizza has become an issue. We used to go often, now it's become not so enjoyable.

Maybe it's just me, but aversion therapy works very well. When I was considering getting banded, I thought I'd still be able to eat everything. That is part of what attracted me to it. If my band were looser, I could eat more things, but I like this level of restriction. I am very easily maintaining my weight loss and enjoying my improved health. The trade-off is totally worth it for me.

As food Addict. I know I hear people saying. "I just can't give up this, and I couldn't live without that.

Or I just Love to EAT !

That all brings back Memories to me.......

I am here to tell you that if,,, you come across certain foods that the band does not agree with ! You will get by...

food Addiction is hard to get over, because you must eat. So the Addiction is always in your face or Mouth your choice.

A few times of getting stuck over a Hamburger, may just change your mind about having the bun.

That might bother you now, but trust me when I tell you, you will get over it, and some things you will never miss.

You also have to face the fact that this Disease can kill ! And it does.

So you live in a world that lives to eat, you have to learn to eat to live !

That is a much healthier life, then Heart Disease, Diabetes, High Cholesterol, Artery Disease,

Arthritis leading to joint replacement, CPAP Machine, and much, much more.

So your lucky ! You at least have a choice to make.

Allot of people that are 6 feet under, never got that chance ....

Shirley