Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!

I am new to this forum and I want to introduce myself first.

My name is CeCe. My current BMI is 41, I am 28, 5'3'' with a child and a husband. I am former military and have done every diet, excercise plan, diet pill, diet program that one person can do. At my best I can lose about 20-30lbs only to gain 40-60lbs back. I have been overweight all of my life, but have been obese for the past three. Since I had my daughter, I have had the hardest time even maintaing my current weight. I have done all kinds of nutrition classes and read a lot books, I hired a personal trainier (nearly $500 a month) and only managed to shave off a few measley pounds. Not enough to even make a dent in my BMI. Im at my witts end. I have talked to my PCM's in the past, but becasue I was on active duty at the time thier hands were tied. Now that I am out, I am ready to ask for a refferal because I can't live like this anymore. I am willing to put in the work but I need some serious help. I am tired of feeling like a prisoner in this "fat suit" I'm tired of trying to lose weight the right way only to be slapped in the face by the scale. And I am sick and tired of wasting my hard earned money on empty promises of weight loss products, books, and eqipment.

Now that I got that out of the way teeth_smile.gif

I would like to know if anyone has had any expierence with getting a refferal from thier PCM for Tricare? Was it a long process? Was it difficult? Where you in FT Hood? Any hidden fees associated? Did the procedure happen on post? Was thier a long waitlist if any? Anything a potential bander should know?

I am just trying to get a better understanding of the process in order to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

CeCe

Hi CeCe! Congrats on your decision to take control! I was recently approved through Tricare for the lap band. It was not a long process at all. My PCM sent in a referal for the bariatric doctor of my choice and then they sent in the request for approval and it took just 3 days to be approved! There is some confusion at the moment as to whether or not a Tricare patient has to undergo 6 months of doctor monitored dieting, but mine went through without having to do that. I wish you the best of luck!

Hi CeCe, I am a dependent of miltary retired here in San Antonio and I am going to BAMC (or whatever the heck they've renamed it to) and we have several people from Ft Hood who are working through the approval process for WLS surgery. I don't know if that might be an option for you. The process was very easy for me to get a referal, since my PCM is at BAMC, I asked about the surgery and she put the referal right in no questions asked. I originally saw her in September and am now done with all the pre-op stuff. I will meet with the surgeron on 13 Jan to schedule a surgery date.

Thanks everyone. My first appointment is with my PCM in the morning and I am super nervous and excited. I really hope eveything works out. I am ready to do this. I'll follow up once I get some answers.

Hi Cece, I am a military spouse (hubby retired USAF). We are now at Camp Lejeune, NC (hubby is a contractor now). Anyway, I had no problems with Tricare. I went to the bariatric appointment first, then got my referral from my PCM. It only took a few weeks for me. I just had my surgery on Friday 1/21 in Raleigh. It's about 2 hrs. away from base, but wasn't too big of a deal. I started the whole process in October and everything was finished with Tricare by Dec. 30 - start to finish. Some insurance companies want a 6 mo. to year diary on your past dieting, but Tricare does not. I think if you had other insurance, it would take a lot longer. This is day 3 of Clear Liquids and yes, it is hard, but I know it's going to get better once I can start eating some food! lol Good luck!

Congrats! woot.gif

Please keep me posted on your results ( I need the motivation happy.png ) I had my appointment with my PCM today and got the ball rolling. I am so relieved. We talked for a bit and he put in the refferal for the surgeon and for the mental eval. I have to do blood work in the morning. Keep pushing can't wait to see your before and after pics. I love them it gets me in the mood to workout. Keep me in your prays as I will keep you in mine.

I am a military spouse and had my surgery in july 2009. To date I have lost 97 lbs but have gained 15 of that back. I quit smoking lol I am on the path to lose that 15. I have heard from other people that with Tricare thy require a 6 month diet thing before proceeding with the surgery. When I had mine done it was not required. I wish you the best of luck. I don't get on here very often anymore but if you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me. Wishing you the best of luck, Jennifer

talkalot1981@yahoo.com

Alright guys! I just got the call today from the insurance lady today (not sure of her official title ^_^) And was given the okay to schedule an appointment with the surgeon. How cool is that?! That was so quick and simple. Now I need to call the suegeon's office...Okay but which? Anyone have some suggestions? My current medical facility (the one on post) is not equipped to preform these types of surgeries and there are literally loads of providers in the area. I think I am going to start with the A's and work down to the Z's. Not sure. I may just call my PCM again and see who he would reccomend although he didn't seem very familiar with the whole procedure, I am sure he can point me in the direction of someone who is. Anyhoo, I hope to hear back from someone. Yay so excited!

HEY JMAC SOOOOO R U SUUURE THE 6MONTH NUTRITION PLAN ISNT REQUIRED B/C I THINK IT IS,REQUIRED THIS YEAR 2012 I HAVE MY FIRST APPT WITH THE SURGEON ON MARCH 8 I GUESS WE ARE GOING TO WATCH A VIDEO AND HES GOING TO TELL ME THE STEPS I NEED TO TAKE BUT ARE YOU SUUUURE ABT THE 6MONTH DIETING PLAN NOT BEING REQUIRED...... I HAVE TRICARE PRIME IM STATIONED AT FORT IRWIN

MIZZROB DO U HAVE TRICARE.... WHAT STEPS DID U HAVE TO DO URS WAS SOOOOO FAST

I have tricare prime. We are at Camp Lejeune NC. I didn't find out that I had to do the 6 month nutrition plan until I saw the surgeon. I go every month (since Nov 2011) to have my PCM sign the paperwork. I was disappointed when I found out I had to do it, but figure it will be worth it in the long run. Also, the insurance will pay for the surgery. But still frustrating.