Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded Jan 4...getting Nervous

After almost a full year of testing, waiting for different Dr.'s approvals , I'm finally scheduled to be banded on Jan 4th. I'm a bachelor at 49. I'm good friends with the people who own the local diner, love to cook and especially to eat. I'm close to 300 lbs. I've lost weight several times on my own, only to gain it back and more. I was down to 200 pounds in 2003. I'm just afraid of failure, I guess. Only a very few people know I'm even getting banded. I'm telling people I'm having a hernia repaired, which is not a lie, they are fixing one while they are in there. I just know I need to loose some major weight or I'm going to have some major health issues to deal with. My legs hurt alot, as does my whole body. I carriedcarried rock salt into my house ( 50 lb bags ) and thought to myself no wonder I am tired all of the time. I think I will be able to loose weight , but keeping it off is what I'm worried about. I know there is alot of negative feedback about being banded also. Any emotional support would be appricieated. Thanks

After almost a full year of testing, waiting for different Dr.'s approvals , I'm finally scheduled to be banded on Jan 4th. I'm a bachelor at 49. I'm good friends with the people who own the local diner, love to cook and especially to eat. I'm close to 300 lbs. I've lost weight several times on my own, only to gain it back and more. I was down to 200 pounds in 2003. I'm just afraid of failure, I guess. Only a very few people know I'm even getting banded. I'm telling people I'm having a hernia repaired, which is not a lie, they are fixing one while they are in there. I just know I need to loose some major weight or I'm going to have some major health issues to deal with. My legs hurt alot, as does my whole body. I carriedcarried rock salt into my house ( 50 lb bags ) and thought to myself no wonder I am tired all of the time. I think I will be able to loose weight , but keeping it off is what I'm worried about. I know there is alot of negative feedback about being banded also. Any emotional support would be appricieated. Thanks

The band is the absolute best thing I have done for myself in forever! I am 63 and wish I had done it when I was a youngin' like you! :-) Why waste the rest of your life?? I certainly didn't waste my life, but I know I would have been much happier and healthier if I had the option of the band years ago. As an example, after just a few weeks of the band, they had to take me off 3 of my 4 blood pressure-related pills, and cut the last one in half! And after 6 months, I went down 4 sizes in my blouses and 3 sizes in my pants!

The band is the best help to lose weight AND, most importantly, to keep it off. Two things that have helped me most is that I followed the dr's guidelines of eating to the letter the first 4 months (!), and since then, am pretty consistent about still eating lots of Protein every day (keeps you filled longer and is so good for you in healing, general health, etc!), and keeping track of calories. During those first 4 months, I wrote down everything I ate, the amount of Protein (80/day) and calories (for me, it was 800-1000/day), and "skinnied down" recipes to be higher in protein and less calories (ie., egg beaters, "Cant Believe it's not Butter" spray, and eating lots of fish, low fat cheese, and even very low fat hamburger-- more protein and less calories than ground turkey!).

I know some people choose not to tell anyone about the band cause of them always looking at us to see if we are cheating (!), you know the look!, etc! But I told my family and closest friends immediately, and they have been an amazing support system. And I can't emphasize enough how much THIS site has helped, as I have no support group in my area. When I was confident after losing about 40 lbs, I started telling anyone who asked, cause I was so grateful how helpful the band is, I wanted to spread the word. It's different for everyone. Just leave your options open. I also told some people I don't see often that the "surgery" was for a hiatal hernia repair, and since then, decided to eat sensibly, feel so much better, blah blah blah! And that is fine, too!

Super good luck to you! Looking forward to seeing you on here in a few months with your own success story! I have confidence that the band is the absolute best choice out there!

Thank You!!!!

Hello, I didn't tell a lot of people about my lap band either. I didn't want to hear any negativity. When I did tell the (selective) people I was having surgery. I did what you did, I was having a hernia repaired. I did my lap band December 1, 2011. I do not have regrets what so ever. I am adjusting to my new life. I lost about 22lbs since my lap band and I am ready to do the work to lose even more. It feel good to finally see 100's. I have been in the 200's so long, it felt almost normal. Now, I have a positive aspect on my life apearance and I can start wearing the clothing I want and not be embarrassed by how it look on me. Don't be nervous, you will do fine, and things will work out great for you! I can say that now because I was Nervous and my best friend told me the same thing too. Good Luck!!!!

Hi! My husband and I both got banded, he had his Nov 7 and I had mine Dec 5. He is down 50 pounds and I am down 27. We both had very uneventful surgeries (I had hernia repair in addition) and no big post op issues. We are both 47 and thrilled with out decision. I have found this site to be so helpful with any questions I have had and such inspiration reading people's successes.

Good luck and keep us posted. Kath

Congrats! I have been through a lot of testing too, it went by fast thought, and before I know it ill be banded on Jan 30! I definitely feel your pain, my parents own a restaurant, and I waitress there (the only fat waitress lol)...my dad is such an awesome cook, everything he makes tastes so delicious! I love to cook too, but more than anyrhing i want to be healthy. That's why I chose the band over bypass...with the band, you can still eat some if the things you used to once in a while, just less of it. I'm excited for us!!!

Your story closely resembles mine. What made me decide to get the band is that my sugar levels started to climb and remain high. I was just over 300 lbs. Had tried to lose weight several times, only to gain it back. My wife owns a cafe in town and is a tremendous cook!

The last straw for me was helping my father clear some trees in his yard last year. I got winded and dizzy to the point that I had to sit down for 20 min. and chew sugar pills.

I was banded on August 12th, and, to date, have lost about 65 lbs. It's the best thing I ever did...truly. It is still a commitment and requires will power, but when everything is firing right, the band is a great tool.

Best of all, I can't even fathom being able to eat the way I used to. Large portions are simply out of the question.

I wish you all the best and hope that you will find your decision as rewarding as I have mine.

Happy Holidays

jim