Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Made The Decision To Have Lap Band Surgery!

Hi, everyone! Well, this is day 4 and I'm HUNGRY! I was reading this afternoon and the book described, in detail, 2 pizzas from pizza Hut. Honestly, I could smell them. (My husband is eating a Healthy Choice italian sausage and marina sauce over Pasta with zucchini and green Beans - it smells sooo good)

The gas pains are pretty much gone except for under my left shoulder blade. The biggest problem I'm having is drinking enough. I've GOT to get in the habit of carrying my Water bottle around. The second biggest problem is the Protein powder - gotta find a new one, because my system does NOT like this one.

So I think I'll have some yummy chicken broth for supper and then maybe a Jolly Rancher popsicle (they are the BEST! Make sure you have a box in the freezer when you get home from getting banded!).

sleep well, peeps - hugs to all!

Hi Sandy -

Good to hear you're doing well, although sorry about the hunger!!

I am in "re-thinking" mode after my 1 day liquid diet last week. I'm not sure enough that I will be successful at this. I haven't but the brakes on anything yet, but I expect that I'll probably tell my surgeon to go into a holding pattern once I'm approved at the end of the month.

Once I'm approved, I have a year to decide to have surgery...so there's no rush. If I'm motivated and successful (as I have been) at losing weight without the band then I want to try that. Cross your fingers for me. :-)

I am so excited and happy for you - and I'm on my way over to read your surgery day story now!

Hi Sandy -

Good to hear you're doing well, although sorry about the hunger!!

I am in "re-thinking" mode after my 1 day liquid diet last week. I'm not sure enough that I will be successful at this. I haven't but the brakes on anything yet, but I expect that I'll probably tell my surgeon to go into a holding pattern once I'm approved at the end of the month.

Once I'm approved, I have a year to decide to have surgery...so there's no rush. If I'm motivated and successful (as I have been) at losing weight without the band then I want to try that. Cross your fingers for me. :-)

I am so excited and happy for you - and I'm on my way over to read your surgery day story now!

Only you can make that decision, Dianne - but don't let one day of a liquid diet confuse your thinking.

If you are motivated and successful at losing the weight and keeping it off, then that's certainly what you should do. I did WW very successfully and lost 28 lbs last year - then I reached a plateau and got discouraged. I was doing everything I was supposed to do, exercising like crazy, and it wasn't working, which is how its been my whole life.

As I explained to my internist (who has gone through this weight struggle with me), getting banded is a TOOL for me. If I use it the way I'm supposed to, along with eating right and exercising, then I won't have to feel like I'm dieting. I've been dieting my whole life: you know what the definition of insanity is, don't you? Its doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Whatever you decide, you've got MY support. If you need to talk or vent, just let me know!

You have the absolute best mind set for this, Sandy - I know you will be successful! I'm so excited that I get to watch your progress...go, girl!

Hello - I am new here as well. My surgery date is January 18...I'm super nervous but excited too. My biggest worry is that I love to eat and my life revolves around it so...what to do when you aren't hungry or you can't eat the things that you enjoy? I don't know...but I can survive it!

Hi Cyndee My surgery is on January 19th! Are you doing a pre op diet? Where are you having your surgery done? This site is a great source of support! Good luck and keep me posted!

Well, I don't know about that - I got too hungry and ate too much and its NOT a pleasant feeling (cracks me up that 4 oz of chicken broth is too much!). Its just that I've been dieting since I was 11 years old - I starved myself (literally) in the 80's and 90's to be a size 6 - and I wanted off of this rollercoaster. Because of yo-yo dieting, I had to have my gallbladder out when I was in my 40's, my cholesterol and triglycerides are sky high, I have sleep apnea and the beginning of fatty liver disease.

And the funny thing is, I've ALWAYS (for the most part) eaten right. My mom was way ahead of her time and I grew up knowing good food habits. But when genetics and metabolism collide, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

I'm so glad I've got all of you to talk to - my best friend was still upset when my husband called her after my surgery and it upsets me that she doesn't support me in this. My sister does, but she's one of those people who, until she turned 50, could eat anything and not gain an oz (even after 5 kids - that's my oldest nephew Justin in the picture). All of you UNDERSTAND and that really means a lot.

Cyndie B, on December 18, 2011 - 7:41 PM, said:

Hello - I am new here as well. My surgery date is January 18...I'm super nervous but excited too. My biggest worry is that I love to eat and my life revolves around it so...what to do when you aren't hungry or you can't eat the things that you enjoy? I don't know...but I can survive it!

Hi, Cyndie! I'm Sandy and I had my surgery last Friday. Read some of the previous posts and you'll find out that most of us feel the way you do about food. Just try to remember that after the first month, you'll be able to eat almost anything - just in smaller quantities. I ate 4 oz of chicken broth last night for supper and was miserable the whole night.

The biggest help is this website. Everyone will give you support, answer your questions and be there right along with you. I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't found it.

You can do this!

Hi Sandy! Wanted to check in and see how you are doing?

Hi Sandy! Wanted to check in and see how you are doing?

I overdid it yesterday (went to the office and the grocery store) and so I'm taking it easy today - I felt like someone beat me last night. But the gas pains are pretty much gone (I've figured out that I get them if I eat too much), the incisions are healing nicely, and I've lost 15 lbs since my surgery. Ate some yummy turkey baby food last night (actually, with salt & pepper it takes just like turkey & gravy) - I'm definitely ready for mushies, but have to go another week before I start them. Looking at the baby food is interesting, though - I can have that and there's all KINDS of good stuff - mac n cheese, squash, spaghetti, fruit - and its low calorie, too, with very little fat.

I did get some Muscle Milk - the Atkins Protein shakes were NOT good for my digestive system (if anyone lives near Tyler, TX and wants them, there's almost a full carton) - and I'm going to try one of those tonight.

How are YOU?

Good morning, peeps! I've been busy this last week, getting things done that I haven't been able to do since having my surgery.

I'm now 16 days out and am starting to feel almost normal. The scabs are gone off of the incisions, the shoulder pain is gone, and I've got some good energy going. Finally started on mushies - YAY! Still not drinking enough, so I fill a bottle every night with Special-K Protein Water and carry it with me, plus I'm drinking lots of Zero Vitamin Water at home. I'd do anything for a diet Dr Pepper, though.

I've worked up to 30 minutes/day on the Treadclimber and I just reactivated my Curves membership - I think the doctor will release me to exercise after my 1/30 appointment and I'm really looking forward to it. If any of you have ever wondered about Curves, I can highly recommend it. 30 minutes, 3 days a week with only women and you really feel good after you're done. Its circuit training (you move from machine to machine) that targets every part of your body, and there are coaches there to help. They also have a combined diet/exercise program.

When I was banded, the doctor put 2ccs of saline in my band. I'm thinking that its just about perfect - I'm eating 6-8 oz. per meal (about 800 calories per day) and I have had no problems, except a couple of instances at the beginning when I was so hungry I ate too fast and got too full. I haven't had any problems with taking pills and today I'm feeling like this is one of the best decisions I ever made.

How are all of you doing????? I miss talking to you!

The sandy can i ask ur bmi

Tks

On 12/30 (the day I was banded), it was 34.9 which is right on the edge. But I have extremely high cholesterol, high triglycerides, and sleep apnea, which is why I was approved.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Tomorrow I go in for my first post-op appointment/fill and I'm really nervous! I've read some horror stories and the thought of having a needle in my stomach almost makes me nauseous - anyone have some good advice?

Hi Sandy!!!

I hear you...the idea of needles always freaks me out. I've heard it's not as bad as I imagine it would be, though. LOL

Can't wait to hear how it goes...and I'll be thinking super good, supportive thoughts for you!