Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help... Newbie And Scared

Secret Bandit you have the perfect attitude to make the band a success! With the restriction I have now everything is so much easier, however it's still not a magic wand. I still crave all the goodies that got me here in the first place. I only hope that the scale moving down, the improvement in my diabetes, and my amazing energy level will keep me motivated over the long haul! :)

Everyone's band is put in a little different by every different DR..

Mine is in place like the rest of you, but my stomach is pulled up, and over the band . Then stitched in place to help prevent the band from slippage.

You talk about swollen ! I was on fluids for 1 month before I could even start mushies.

I felt like I was starving, but,,, I new it was my job to hang in there, until I seen my surgeon.

I had no clue, as to the fact that the band was put in that way. That was his preference. He told me even though you all get banded, we all do something different.

I'm glad it was done this way, but I suffered like someone grabbed me by the throat, held on with that squeeze, 24 hours a day ! Now if I made it through Hell, I'm sure you can.

Shirley.

You Guys are all so awesome...I have since went back to soft foods, and I'm real irritable because of it.. I just can't wait to talk to my nutritionist and see if I can be released to solids yet.. I get my first fill on the 5th, so may e I will feel a little restriction then...I feel as if I have nothing of a tool in me it is all will power and I didn't expect this at all.. My Dr's and nutritionist said after sugery all the hunger pains are pretty much over... Well, that was a lie!!! Maybe for some but not for me....

Hey White-gurl,

Really glad to hear you've gone back onto the mushies for the time being. I'm only a newbie too, but when the surgeon went through the possible results of trying to eat solids within the liquids and mushies stage (and told a scary story of someone who had!) I soon decided I wouldn't risk it.

The reason you feel hungry is because the band is empty - it means that the 'full sensors' at the top of the stomach aren't yet being engaged (when there's a restriction, the small amount you eat fills the pouch quickly and touches on the sensors - which tricks them into thinking the whole stomach is full). When we're on the liquids and mushies, it passes through the stomach quickly, which means the sensors aren't getting hit - therefore we're STARVING HUNGRY! (That's how I felt anyway!)

I'm no saint, I've been a terror over the past 2 weeks with eating bad food - my first fill is on Thursday (7 weeks post op, I had a LOT of swelling) - and I'll be kicking myself back into healthier eating then. I really want this to work, and I know I have to work at it.

Good luck, and I hope you get hold of your nutritionist!

R

Ditto ! ! ! Very Well put,,, especially for a Newbie.. You are rite on Target..

Shirley.

Was that directed at me Shirley? If yes, thanks! I paid super close attention during my pre surgery briefing session. I really liked the tricking the sensors bit-it made it so much easier to understand the surgery. I like simple instructions, lol!

Yep ! That was thrown rite at you !

You are the Newbie rite ?

You keep paying attention to the Dr.'s the people on this site, and your body...

You do that, and you'll go far !

We need to up your status from Newbie to Junior Guru... How's that sound ?

That will come in time, just so you know...

Shirley.

HAha! Thanks! I'm nowhere near junior guru, I really have been eating junk for the past couple of weeks. Luckily I can already feel the effect of the band- have to chew so carefully...so stone cold food tends to be off-putting. Yay!

I will get it back together though and I'm excersisibg more at least!!

Thanks for your support, don't know what I'd do without this site!!

Well ! ! ! it was a good thought ! Not to many people know about the Hunger Hormone that needs to be suppressed. So believe me when I say that was good work...

It is a good site isn't it ....

You are more then welcome, Shirley.