Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will Insurance Reject Me The First Time ?

Ok, so I have been thinking about getting the LapBand done for over a year now. I have finally decided and go 11/22 to submit everything to insurance. Is it likely I will be denied the first time?? I have heard that. I have Aetna. BMI is 44.

Every insurance is different which I am sure you know. So you may not get the answer you want here...However, have you called to see what they cover? If they cover it with or without conditions and you meet the conditions, I don't think they can deny you. I wasn't denied at all. It was smooth and easy. I had a 6 month wait with supervised weight loss, but everything went in and I was approved within 2 weeks. I have blue cross.

I used United as a secondary to cover my surgery. All I had to do was meet the BMI requirement and go through some testing. I was approved in 5 hours.

I would just call and check with the insurance company on all your requirements. Make sure they check your specific plan as well. Some companies but clauses into their insurance plans the exclude bariatric surgery to keep costs low. My insurance declines that coverage, thats why I had to wait to get on my husbands insurance as secondary to get my surgery.

Aetna approved me in 3 days!

Blue cross took 32 days to approve me. I think sometimes they take their sweet time with it!

Every insurance company is definitely different from requirements to approval rate and approval response. Someone already said it..but the best thing to do is call and make sure they will cover you. After I decided this was right for me.. that was my first move and it determined whether or not I would move forward with it. I'm with UHC..but it's best to call and talk to them.. make sure you understand what you're getting into.

All the best!! rolleyes.gif