Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Treadmills for a obese beginner!!!

Evening guys I have another question about treadmills, I have just received a treadmill and i used it twice so far 20 minutes in incriments each and its really a killer how much time do you guys think a 350lb person should use a treadmill a day? for effectivenss

thanks brandon17

It depends on how far you think you can walk, Brandon. There'a nothing magic about a treadmill,

it's just a moving sidewalk. If you push it too far or too fast, you could do more harm than good.

To start, you probably should have the advice of a medical professional on your maximum heart

rate and stay below that. I'd imagine strenuous, unfamiliar exercise is a good way to harm yourself.

Take it easy, wait a while before going too fast.

Brandon,

20-30 mins a day is great. The important thing is not to go too fast so make sure your speed on the treadmill is comfortable enough for you to walk, breathe & say hi doing good. That weight is alot of stress on your heart & body but your well on your way to becoming healthy & it'll happens sooner than you know it. Your body will get used to walking and your heart will get used to pumping but the best person you can ask this question to is your personal physician because no one here on ANY website knows your medical history and everyone is different. I wish you the best of luck & congratulations for having the courage & strength to start this journey!!!

As much as you can without going overboard. Your body will tell you when to stop. Its OK to get red faced, sweating and really tired from exercise and at first you may well be pretty exhausted and not do much for the rest of the day, that will pass. But if you really cant get off the couch during your session, or you're still exhaused the next day, you've overdone it. If that's 20 minutes, then that's great, you'll build up over time, but if that takes 40 minutes, you're fitter than you think and that long wont hurt.

One point though, its a bit senesless to do a really huge workout in the morning, and then not move for the rest of the day. You dont end up any better off in terms of calorie burn. I like to still push myself for that level of effort so I time my workouts for the evening so that I can sleep off the exhaustion, lol, and I wake up refreshed and burn plenty of energy running round during the day.

i started out about 15 mins at a pace that was comfotable for me my trainer always reminds me to take in a breath through your nose and exhale out your mouth slowly this helps build up your oxegen levels in your body.never start out fast take what i call is a slow walk.and do this 3 times a week and slowly build up to what you can tolerate.if you can only do 5 min great just don't get in no hurry.make sure you are not putting any encline on the tredmill walk at level grade.as i said if you feel you need to stop do so.you have plenty of time to work your way up.i my self started slowly and i started at 311 i was weighed today i weighed 258 pounds.i walk on the tred mill 5 miles at 4.5 miles per hour today i done the 5 miles in 68 mins.it took me 2 months to build up to this.so like i said take your time.it will come in time.hang in there were all in this to help each other wish you best of luck.As my daughters favorite wrestler says.NEVER GIVE UP BY JON CENA!!!!!!!!!!!!

i started out about 15 mins at a pace that was comfotable for me my trainer always reminds me to take in a breath through your nose and exhale out your mouth slowly this helps build up your oxegen levels in your body.never start out fast take what i call is a slow walk.and do this 3 times a week and slowly build up to what you can tolerate.if you can only do 5 min great just don't get in no hurry.make sure you are not putting any encline on the tredmill walk at level grade.as i said if you feel you need to stop do so.you have plenty of time to work your way up.i my self started slowly and i started at 311 i was weighed today i weighed 258 pounds.i walk on the tred mill 5 miles at 4.5 miles per hour today i done the 5 miles in 68 mins.it took me 2 months to build up to this.so like i said take your time.it will come in time.hang in there were all in this to help each other wish you best of luck.As my daughters favorite wrestler says.NEVER GIVE UP BY JON CENA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouraging words gary464 how many weeks did you do the 15 minutes before you increased??? and when did you increase after that?

thank you all for the kind words i wish you guys all the best!!!

brandon17

Hey! I am 3 wks post-op and I want to start my exercise. I know I can't do my abs for another 3 wks. I want to start working on my legs, hips, arms and rear. What is a good weight to do this at?? Thanks y'all!!

Walking is great for the beginner. Its low impact but can be quite taxing for an obese beginner and it will strengthen hips and legs, particularly if you find some hills or pick an incline program on a treadmill and dont hang on! You could go to a spin class and just take it at your own level too, that would be great. So would the elliptical, again maybe pick a program and avoid going fast with no resistance on the machine because with the treadmill and the elliptical, slower but with resistance or hills is always much more beneficial than going fast but easy.

You can always do unweighted squats and lunges too, those are great lower body strength builders.

When I first started after surgery I did the treadmill everyday. My weight was around 320 Lbs.. I walked 20 min a day and got up to 40-60 min. Did not bother with the distance some days I felt better then others I even started to jog. My tendons around my one of my ankles started to flare up so there were times I just did weight training. Git down to 267 lbs then I messed up.

I am looking at getting a treadmill for the house

When I first started after surgery I did the treadmill everyday. My weight was around 320 Lbs.. I walked 20 min a day and got up to 40-60 min. Did not bother with the distance some days I felt better then others I even started to jog. My tendons around my one of my ankles started to flare up so there were times I just did weight training. Git down to 267 lbs then I messed up.

I am looking at getting a treadmill for the house

Joe how long did it take you to be able to do 40-60 minutes a day?

brandon17

I would like to say the start of my second month i was doing 40 min ... then by 2.5 months I would rotate 20-40-60 min. The 20 min I started to include short jogging 1 min and walk about 3 min ... It felt really good..

When I was around 390 I started walking for 30 min, 5 days a week, at 2.2 speed. I was moving in turtle speed compared to everyone else but I think I was the only person in the whole gym almost 400 pounds! I worked my way up to 2.8 before I developed some sort of foot condition that I can't spell (plantar ficiatis) LOL!! Good luck! Btw...I went to a local hospital rehab gym and they ran those stress test on me before I started and I was cleared to go! I didn't have to pay extra either for the test. I lost around 30 pounds in 6 months..............I really didn't change my eating habits so I could have lost more.

Evening guys I have another question about treadmills, I have just received a treadmill and i used it twice so far 20 minutes in incriments each and its really a killer how much time do you guys think a 350lb person should use a treadmill a day? for effectivenss

thanks brandon17

When I first started on the treadmill, it was all I could do to finish 10 minutes on snail's pace. It took a few months to build up. I would even do things like at one or two minutes each week to build up. Now, I live for it...not real fast, but I walk anywhere from 30-60 minutes a day. I've really been pushing lately to do the 60 miles this month and have been jogging the 1 minute and walking 3 minutes. I'm able to walk steady at 3.7 with a slight incline...which is something I couldn't even think of when I started. I love to do enough to break a great sweat.

is it ok to do the treadmill in incriments cause i usually do 7minutes stop for 3 minutes do 5 then do another 5 but with the 7 minutes and 5 minutes im out of breath my legs burn and i pour sweat like i just came out of the shower. do you guys think this is an effective way to build up stamina to do longer periods?

brandon 17