Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do I need for surgery?

Hi guys!

I'm being banded this Monday and was wondering if I'm forgetting something. Is there anything you guys would recommend I buy or have on hand for the day of and the days after surgery?

Good question ...

not sure if you have to stay over night but if you do - take a laptop!! I would have been bored out of my mind if I hadn't. I did sleep some - usually right after they gave me medication - but I was up walking the floor a few hours after I got out of surgery. I had a really hard time sleeping in the hospital because of these stupid massage things they put on your legs to prevent blood clots - so I was up almost all night. The laptop and walking kept me entertained until I could go home.

as far as home - if its possible - call your doctor Monday morning or when you see him before surgery and see if you can have any prescriptions then so someone at home can go get them filled for you and they are ready and waiting at home for you. I had to stop at the pharmacy on my way home - and although I felt great I was a little run down and didn't feel like sitting at Walmart for a 1/2 hour waiting for them to fill medication.

I would also have any liquids you are going to want for the first two - three days. If there are recipes you want to try or anything - have someone go pick it up Monday while you are in surgery. I was ready to leave the house and walk around the grocery store by the second day but make sure you have someone with you - no lifting and take it easy. You need to make sure you walk a lot after surgery to keep your body moving again ... a little walk around the grocery story to pick up what you need for the diet is a good way to do it.

Hi guys!

I'm being banded this Monday and was wondering if I'm forgetting something. Is there anything you guys would recommend I buy or have on hand for the day of and the days after surgery?

Loose Clothing!

Thanks so much for the great pointer! I would have never thought to bring my laptop.

The gas pains are really horrible. I hurt the most in my shoulders as weird as it sounds. I finally found relief when out of pure desperation I took a few Gas X strips (the desolve on your tongue kind) Surprisingly I got a lot of relief. I recommend picking some up :)

Hi guys!

Definitely gas-x!! and a heating pad as well. My gas pains were horrible for 4 days. Protein Shakes and things for the "liquid stage" icepops, Jello, Water, crystal light. For the hospital stay (usually just overnight)...not much..laptop if u think you will be bored. DId you get a little plastic breathing apparatis to use to clear your lungs out? if so bring that. One thing i which i had in the hospital with me was chapstick!. My mouth/lips was sooo dry after surgery, and i couldnt even sip water til the next morning. Good Luck!

gas-x sugar free fudge pops, sugar free popsicles , and any meds they are giving you....Congrats!!!!

I second the chapstick. My lips got really really dry. You won't be able to have anything by mouth until they do an x-ray and make sure everything is as it should be. Also, bring a pillow for the ride home, to put between you and the seatbelt. Congrats on your impending surgery!

Oh God! I'm dreading the gas pains!

This may seem like a silly question, should I bring pjs or am I supposed to stay in the hospital gown?

You will get Meds for Discomfort, so get a Pill Crusher. Or Pill crusher/ Splitter Combo. This way you won't have to buy 2 separate things.. The splitter you can use for when the swelling goes down, and when you get fills. It helps getting Meds. down in the future.

All your drinks, pop cycles, broths, s f pudding to put the crushed pills into...

Good Health to you !

See you on the Losing side...

Shirley.

Almost forgot. COUGH DROPs!!!!

Your throat may be very sore from the ET Tube..

I found sucking on cough drops worked very well.

Yes bring PJs, you probably wont wear them in the hospital but for the ride home they are great. Also bring a robe so you can walk the halls... the gowns are backless and I don't think you wanna walk the halls like that :-) Definitely a pillow.. holding the pillow against your side helped when i had gas pains..pillow also helped on the ride home. Chapstick!! yes, a friend suggested I bring that and Im glad I did because my lips were soooo dry. i was going to bring my laptop or ipad but i decided not to last minute. im glad i didnt because i was so out of it most of the time..every once in a while id get on the internet with my iphone but only for like 5 minutes. thats all i can think of.... everything else the hospital pretty much provided me with.

I must be an exception. I didn't have the gas pains only pressure. I found that even though I brought a nightgown I stayed in the hospital gown the whole time. They allowed me ice chips from the moment I was awake enough to ask for them. I didn't need the lip balm that I brought or the mouth spray that someone suggested I get. I took books with me but I would never have been able to read them. I found that a rolled up towel with tape around it was much better for coughing after surgery. The pillow was just too soft and didn't give me enough pressure to stabilize my stomach while coughing. I can guarantee you that you will feel the urge to cough and you will need to do it. Ask one of the nurses to roll up a towel real tight and tape it for you and keep it in the bed with you. Get up and walk around but be careful; I only walked around my room because I came close to fainting a few times. If I get overheated I tend to either throw up or pass out and found that walking in my room where I was close to something to sit down on was way more practical for me than walking the halls. I was not told I could ask to have the leg things removed to get up and walk, but I was also on my period (yuck!) and had to wear those horrible disposable underwear and a pad, which I hate! I really didn't need the pillow for the ride home but I guess everyone is different and better safe than sorry.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Deb. I hope I don't have gas pains! I keep reading about how horrible they are.