Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay soo I'm on week 3. Solid Protein right after the mushy stage. I had tofurkey..twice. Tried it yesterday and it kinda hurt after a few bites so I stopped. Tonight I tried again, 3 bites or so in major pain Felt there was something stacking up in my chest wanted something to just get it down so I drank Water even though I know you're not supposed to drink but man it hurt. Went to the toilet to try to get it out. Coughed, some came out, few seconds later There comes everything I just ate.

I'm not filled. But I really don't feel hungry much. I kinda force myself to eat, and I do get "full" after very little food. I don't understand how this could be, and also is this PBing?

Thanks Guys!

You probably caused the part of your stomach encircled by the band to become inflamed

and swell. Maybe you should stay on liquids for a day or two, then take it easy and chew,

chew, then chew some more. Week 3 is a little early to be eating solid food. My little

handbook from Cedars-Sinai says to wait until week 6 for solids, and my surgeon, who

taught WLS said that not allowing any WLS to heal properly is one of the biggest causes of

lapband type surgery failure. FWIW.

I'm following the exact plan my doctor gave me. I'm supposed to eat 4-6 oz of regular textured Protein 3 times a day with carnation instant Breakfast between meals. I can eat the fake chicken stuff and bean Soup but this just didnt work. I agree though I am going to be on only liquids tomorrow because I don't want to cause anything, and I was full even on the liquids stage so it's not really a big deal to me.

To me I seem to have more trouble with non-meat items like soy patties, veggie burgers and stuff like that but I eat them anyway due to the fat in regular meat and my Doctor makes me take the evil little Crestor pills. Try adding some type of sauce to it to help it go down and take tiny, tiny bites. It could even be that your pouch was not ready for that particular type of texture of food yet. The Bands have a mind of their own. Just keep trying it but take tiny bites with some type of sauce with it. Maybe one meal take just one bite and then switch to something else next meal add another couple of bites. A lot of trouble but helps.

I know this is probably not good advice put please take it with me saying that. I had a friend who told me to keep from suffering the hurt of being stuck or trying to force it up . . . take a drink (not a sip but a drink) of hot (not headted but not cold) diet soda it will go down and up right back straight up with whatever is stuck. It does work and I have done it a few times to keep from forcing something up BUT please note it with come right back up so be somewhere where you can handle that. So many people are told not to drink soda but believe me you are not drinking it because it is an auto reject. But do as your Dr says always, but it works for me.

Cheri

I also agree that week three is too early to be eating food like that. I was on liquids for five weeks after my band, and then graduated to mushies for another three weeks before going back to eating regular food. However, if you are following the plan that your surgeon gave you, then he/she is the person you should be listening to. In that case, my advice is to chew as much as possible before swallowing. My nutritionist tells me to say the alphabet in my head as I chew things. It works if I'm eating something tough.

PB'ing stands for Productive Burp. I haven't had one, but I imagine it's when you burp and a little bit of food comes up. It sounds to me like you almost got stuck. Getting stuck is NO FUN. It hasn't happened often to me, but the times it has have been almost frightening. The symptoms include foaming at the mouth in my case. And it's true that yes, you're not supposed to drink Water if you get stuck. Admittedly, sometimes if I think I'm going to get stuck I'll drink some water to prevent it from happening, and it helps me. But the key is to take small bites and chew really really well.

My doctor told me this terrible story about a lady who went to taco bell and got a taco and was wolfing it down because she was in a hurry. He said that she didn't chew and the piece of taco shell got stuck in her pouch, and he actually had to surgically remove it... that story has definitely scared me into chewing a lot.

Best of luck to you! I think if you follow your doctor's orders, which you seem to be doing, then you'll do just fine!

Okay soo I'm on week 3. Solid Protein right after the mushy stage. I had tofurkey..twice. Tried it yesterday and it kinda hurt after a few bites so I stopped. Tonight I tried again, 3 bites or so in major pain Felt there was something stacking up in my chest wanted something to just get it down so I drank Water even though I know you're not supposed to drink but man it hurt. Went to the toilet to try to get it out. Coughed, some came out, few seconds later There comes everything I just ate.

I'm not filled. But I really don't feel hungry much. I kinda force myself to eat, and I do get "full" after very little food. I don't understand how this could be, and also is this PBing?

Thanks Guys!

Yes it is, kind of. But it is way too early for you to be experiencing that. You have not even had one fill.

So that tells me your band site must be very inflamed from the surgery.

I would go very carefully with what you eat for now.

My doctor told me this terrible story about a lady who went to taco bell and got a taco and was wolfing it down because she was in a hurry. He said that she didn't chew and the piece of taco shell got stuck in her pouch, and he actually had to surgically remove it... that story has definitely scared me into chewing a lot.

I saw once on “Big Medicine” that they had to do ER surgery on someone to remove a popcorn kennel that was stuck and would not move no matter what. I know a lot of people eat popcorn with no problem. What was funny about if was it was Dr. Davis' (of Houston) sister and she flew in from I think New York for him to do the surgery. For those of you not from Houston Dr. Gath Davis and his father are great respected surgeons and authors here in Houston and they did a reality show about the process of getting WLS. I thought it was very true to the process to get WLS. Wish it was still on.

Cheri

I'm on week 9 and just got my first fill last week. After my fill I had to do 3 days of liquids. Mind you I was on the stage 4 mushy diet prior to my fill and will still stay on that diet until I am on week 12. I know all surgeons are different, but I would definitely talk to your surgeon about what you are experiencing. If you don't get too hungry that sounds like there is still some post surgery inflammation.

You know my fill is scheduled for november 11th...but if as some of you say that area is inflamed or whichever I dont know if I should really get that fill anyway. I'm not hungry. I can't eat in large quantities and even Protein Shakes keep me full, so wouldn't a fill not be helpful until I'm eating too much? or something? Isn't that the point, to stop from eating large quantities?

I know there are others that don't ever have to have a fill. I went on how much I could eat and it was more than I should have. I would listen and pay attention to your body. Thats what I did. I would see how I feel the day before, before you cancel your appointment just incase.

You know my fill is scheduled for november 11th...but if as some of you say that area is inflamed or whichever I dont know if I should really get that fill anyway. I'm not hungry. I can't eat in large quantities and even Protein Shakes keep me full, so wouldn't a fill not be helpful until I'm eating too much? or something? Isn't that the point, to stop from eating large quantities?

Poultry is notoriously hard for us bandsters when I think textured Protein I think ground beef that's what I personally starts on .. meat balls with a ton of sauce for lubrication

Good luck!!!