Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band December 2010 and now possible auto-immune disease?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so pardon me if I give too many, or too few details for the discussion....

So I had the realize band placed Dec. 27, 2010 and have had great success with it (in my opinion). I have lost approximately 90 lbs since then, though it appears I have been in a sort of holding pattern for the last few months.

In August, I started with a rash on my face. Not on both sides, just one. Along the bridge of my nose, cheek, and towards my temple. There was just a red rash on my cheek and temple area but the one on my nose had sort of like blisters on it. I was not in the sun, I did not start using anything new/wierd on my face. Sometime around that time I went to the ER with severe stomach pain, headache, nausea, etc. The admitted me and discharged me with a diagnosis of Constipation. The rash was still there (and never looked at while in the hospital as I just assumed at that point that maybe it was just a break out). I then went to my PCP who didn't know what it was and she got me in with an infectious disease Dr. who told me it was shingles. Gave me valtrex, it did nothing. A month later I go back to the infectious disease practice, see a different doctor because the rash is still there and at this point it is SOMETIMES on the other side of my face as well. He tells me it isn't shingles and after discussing with him some other issues I was having said it might be lupus. He sends me to a dermatologist that diagnosed it as possbile rosecea, gave me an antibiotic, and some cream. No help. After feeling considerably worse with these symptoms, I go back to my PCP. Symptoms at this point include: extreme fatigue, stiffness, joint pain, headaches, (seeing things that aren't there, like out of the corner of my eye), my hands and feet are always freezing). I ended up in the ER again last week with right wrist pain so bad I thought I could have possibly broken it. The did no tests except for an US to make sure I didn't have a clot and sent me home with a diagnosis of tendonitis. 2 days later the severe pain was gone so I don't believe this could have been tendonitis.

I had an ANA done by the infec. disease Dr. that came back negative. My PCP did a bunch more lab work however I do not have the results of these yet. (RA, Lyme, another ANA), and I have an appointment with a rheumotologist on Monday.

I'm just looking for anyone that might have some advise, answers, suggestions, etc....as auto-immune disease are so hard to diagnose. I want this to be a quick as I can get it, as I am only 29 and am suffering in all aspects of life right now. I no longer have the energy to work out, I'm constantly moody, and not a real pleasure to be around.

Thanks for any help.

I wish I had something to offer other than sympathy. My wife has RA and takes Embrel. It

makes her life reasonably normal. Congratulations on your weight loss, but I guess that's of

secondary importance now. I don't think anyone here can offer you anything except similar

symptoms and sympathy. I wish you the very best of luck, and I hope you can find some answers.

So sorry to hear all of the issues you are having. I think the best thing you are doing is going to a rheumotologist. My mom has lupus and Fibromyalgia. Sounds like some, not all, of her symptoms. I am 37 and have dealt with some pain and she wants me to get checked. I think weight has a lot to do with my pain (back aches, etc) but I may still get checked.

While she has pain, she has learned pain management and with her meds, she leads a very normal life. I know she has issues sometimes but you would never know it. She is a trooper. I wish you luck on finding out what is going on and by going so young so you can get a handle on whatever it is.

My daughter-in-law has Lupus and my best friend has Fibromyalgia. I am so sorry for you. Have you lost a large amount of your hair? That is a sign of Lupus too. It is very hard sometimes to tell if it is Lupus. My daughter-in-law has dealt with it since she was a teenager and now she is in her late twenties and her's is not very active in the last few years. They told her probably no children and we have two beautiful little blue eyed, blonde hair girls and she had no trouble at all. But she had all the signs of it you have, but she had a lot of Hair loss in the beginning. They check her through blood tests.

My friend who has Fibromyalgia has her good days and bad days. She takes no meds as she does not like the way they make her feel, she is banded too. But if someboday hugs her it hurts her so bad. I hope they find out what it is soon for you. In the meantime take it easy and let your body rest if it needs too. You have lost a lot of weight just think how much harder it would be to deal with if you were still carry that weight. Hoping things get better for you soon.

You should look up the support groups for both of these as they might can give you some ideas to help you.

Cheri

Firstly congrats because your weightloss is fantastic. I was only banded in July and an still in the 'fill' process but recent had blood tests that showed strange things. If you have an autoimmune disease they would find this through blood work (ena and dsdna test I believe) but your symptoms seem to point to lupus (I am not a dr though). I hope you find and answer to everything and that your weightloss continues and helps.