Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got a fill and I shouldn't have :(

Last week I went for a fill even though I was at good restriction... I know I know that was naughty! My doc even said when I first swallowed the barium that I was still pretty tight from my last fill. But I figured since my doc does it under fluoro that it'd be ok. Well unfortunatly I am beginning to realize that I am way to tight :blink: I am struggling with going back for a slight unfil. I have to drive 2 and a 1/2 hrs to see my doctor and I'm terrified he'll take to much out and then I'll start eating like crazy. Can some people who have had an unfill tell me what they experienced? Did you still loose weight? Were you starving?

I've had two experiences from unfills.

One unfill I had because I did exactly what you did - had a fill I really didnt need. I was uncomfortably tight, so I had 0.1cc taken out (4cc band). It relieved things, I began to eat better (not sliders) and it had no adverse effect on my weight at all - I was maintaining by that stage, thought I might like to lose a little more but learned that to do that, you have to full your finger out and work at it, not go along for another "magic" fill. It was no big deal getting unfilled and I learned a lesson.

Second unfill was last year just prior to my huge bowel resection, radiation and chemotherapy and that was a total unfill. It has taken me a year to get back to restriction and I may not be there yet - just had a fill today that feels good, but we'll see in a few days time. Its been incredibly frustrating and i've worked like a dog not to gain weight.

I would do almost anythign to avoid unfilling totally and disturbing my band again - and that means if I had a fill so tight that I thought it might actually cause damage through vomiting, I would unfill slightly to avoid such irritation to my stomach as to necessitate a total unfill. Because if you unfill totally, you cant get it back in two weeks, it takes months to fill up again.

but if its manageable tight - you can drink, you're fine if you eat slowly and avoid certain things, and you think you can avoid the sliders trap, then you can probably afford to wait and see and perhaps if you lose a little, it will loosen.

I decided to go in for a slight unfill. Monday I couldn't even keep liquids down. I decided that since I am going on a vacation to Vegas in a couple of weeks I don't want to risk being miserable & also risk a slip while I am there. I think if I just have a lil bit removed I will feel much better.

Let us know how you feel...remember...when you're ready, you can always go in for a slight fill again!

I know how you feel. I was really tight but was losing like 10 lbs every month. I went in to see my dr cause I was in a lot of pain and she took about 2 ccs out. Now I can eat how much of anything I want, I ate a whole jimmy johns sandwich which I know I shouldn't be able to do and I have gained 3 lbs. I can't wait till my next fill in 3 weeks so I can have some restriction back.

I am glad you went in for an unfill. Sometimes it takes hours, days or even weeks to tighten up after a fill. I went in for a slight unfill about a year ago and I was not gonna let him take out more than .3 ccs even if I had to leave. I was holding my hand over my port to guard it. I am so afriad to ever get a complete unfill because some people say they never feel the same, but some do fine. I try not to mess with my Band anymore than I have to as I want it to stay the same. But being too tight is horrible and not worth it.

I just had a fill about a month ago first one since about a year ago and of course now it feels too tight, so I am playing the waiting game and really watching what I eat and how slowly I eat it. I do not want to go in for an unfill but if things do not change soon I will but only to get ½ of what they put in at my last fill. But I will go in with hand over port. Have fun in Vegas come back with more money and less pounds.

Cheri

I feel so much better! He had put .5 mls in last week & when I went in he wanted to take out 1 ml. I told him "No way Mr.!" Lol. We agreed upon removing .7 ml & he told me he'd do my next fill for free. I instantly felt like I could breath again & swallow my saliva! Lol. I actually got solid food down that night! I'm just prying I don't gain a bunch of weight now...

I am so glad you could negotiate with your doc...and that ,7 worked...I don't think you will gain, just remember you are sweollen right now and take advantage to cut back on high calorie slider food. Over fills and swelling are miserable and I am glad you are feeling better and posted about it.

Mimi