Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery not what I expected

In the days immediately following surgery, I found that I was being extremely cautious with drinking slowly and eating slowly. Now I am 10 days out and find that I can drink many ounces without a problem relatively quickly. I also find that sometimes when I am rushed, I can eat 6 ounces of yogurt as fast as I would have pre-surgery. Did anyone else come out of surgery and not really notice a difference?

I am eating between 600 and 900 calories a day - but its really by choice and willpower. I've just chosen to stick with the pre-op diet. I got used to that and didn't ever feel super hungry - but now, I eat the food and can live with it, but I am definitely not full. Is this normal? Is it likely that I just need a fill.

I am still on liquids but know I can eat "regular" food as I have taken a taste of this or that but not enough to add more than 50 calories. Really just a taste to avoid going crazy - and being cautious not to have anything that will be on the long term no-no list.

Other than that, its been quite a relief, since I pictured immediately being sick every time I ate and that hasn't happened at all

In the days immediately following surgery, I found that I was being extremely cautious with drinking slowly and eating slowly. Now I am 10 days out and find that I can drink many ounces without a problem relatively quickly. I also find that sometimes when I am rushed, I can eat 6 ounces of yogurt as fast as I would have pre-surgery. Did anyone else come out of surgery and not really notice a difference?

I am eating between 600 and 900 calories a day - but its really by choice and willpower. I've just chosen to stick with the pre-op diet. I got used to that and didn't ever feel super hungry - but now, I eat the food and can live with it, but I am definitely not full. Is this normal? Is it likely that I just need a fill.

I am still on liquids but know I can eat "regular" food as I have taken a taste of this or that but not enough to add more than 50 calories. Really just a taste to avoid going crazy - and being cautious not to have anything that will be on the long term no-no list.

Other than that, its been quite a relief, since I pictured immediately being sick every time I ate and that hasn't happened at all

It's still early. wait a few months.

I am the same. I'm sure I need a fill. But I am really enjoying French baguettes with butter. After fill no more bread.< /p>

I am exactly the same way. I just ate a hamburger and i didnt have any problems with the bread. I am full though well not hungry anymore but not stuffed either. I have a fill 2mro and I am sure after the fill i will no longer be able to eat bread. FYI I dont eat bread rice Pasta or potatoes. but I have had a little nibble here and there just basically expermenting to see what i could eat. I did have the bread tonight as a last meal sorta thing. basically saying good bye to bread. Will let you know how things go after my fill 2mro.

I was the same way. I got my first fill today and can definitely feel a difference. I'm pretty sure bread it completely out of my diet now. well, it was nice while it lasted! Haha

It's completely normal. Your swelling from surgery is most likely going down. I was the same way.. I felt no differently really until my 2nd fill, by my 3rd fill I finally felt the restriction.

I am so glad you posted this because reading some of the postings of newly banded people losing so much weight was freaking me out! Thank goodness I was told not to get discouraged the first 2 months. Although reading some of these posts was discouraging because I noticed know difference at all until yesterday! 4 days after my 2nd fill. I was banded 8/23 - had my 2nd fill on 10/6. NOW I feel restriction - FINALLY!! Dont give up your not alone. All of my weight loss was diet pre op and right after surgery. I even gained 5 pounds back.

weight.png

I had surgery on Sept 26 and am now two and a half weeks post op. I dropped 28 lbs on the pre-op diet and another 5 during the first week after being banded but I have gained a couple back since then. I feel no restriction and am hungry 30 minutes after eating. I can eat almost anything although I haven't tried bread (scared to try). I've had no pain at all. I do feel a little "Waterboarded" if I try to drink while eating but otherwise, nothing different. I have an appointment this Thursday an am going to ask for the first fill. Is that a good idea?

I got banded on 8/30/11 and i feel the same exact way like i can eat anything and there is no restriction. I felt restriction after the first week of surgery but after that it went away. I had my first fill on oct 4th and i felt restriction for two days while i was on liquids and then it went away again. They gave me 5 cc on my first fill. How much did they give you on your second fill?

I have a 10cc band and my total fill right now is 5.5cc. I am definatley not in my "green zone". Still hungry and I can still eat too much. I cant wait tell I have the correct fill - I do go back on the 25th for my 3rd fill. Hopefully 3rd time will be the one!

I was banded on 10/4 and have zero restriction. I'm only 9 days out and have not stuck 100% with the liquids. Today for supper I had mashed potatos and gravy. I have had a couple bites of pretzels here and there....I need something crunchy. I'm starving and cannot wait for my fills to start. My Dr. said i won't get one at least for another 4 weeks.

I thought something was wrong with me! I was banded Oct. 21st. After 8 days I cautiously started nibbling. The next day I nibbled a little more. I thought maybe the band didn't work cause I don't feel any different than I did before!

I was banded 10/28 and I'm starving! Horrible gas pains in my shoulder that I thought would be gone by now. 100.4 temp last night, but I feel better today...just hungry! Don't know if I'm gonna make it with pure liquids for two weeks, why can't we start mushies sooner? I'd kill for some mashed potatoes!

When you're first banded, the first six weeks are supposed to be for healing. Your band likely doesn't have any Fluid in it, so once the swelling starts to go down from surgery you're likely to feel like you can eat a lot more than you should be able to. Technically this is true, but it can be dangerous because you are still healing, whether you feel great or not so you need to be careful with your new pouch.

It is difficult to stick to your diet during the first few weeks, but it's really important for the life of your band and for your eventual lifestyle once you start getting fills. Granted, I'm sure it's not going to hurt you if you have a couple of little cheating moments; but you should get back on track as soon as possible.

Just remember that the first six weeks are going to be different from the rest of your band experience, so it's true that they may not be what you expected. The steps you take today to form good band habits will help you along the rest of your journey and will ultimately contribute to your success.

I had some thinned/pureed egg drop Soup today for lunch and felt satisfied. Creamy potato soup for dinner and added Protein Powder. Finally getting the idea behind this post op liquid diet. Thanks for the help

Tracy