Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week out from surgery

Hi!

I had my surgery on August 26th, Im one week into the liquid diet, and I feel like I was completely unprepared for the emotional consequences of these first two weeks. I remember thinking... 2 weeks all liquids... no big deal, I love Protein shakes...now? I would give just about anything to chew on something anything!! Ive been doing the ice chip thing, and it has helped quite a bit, but its just no substitute when the family is chowing down on enchiladas. For the first time Im feeling less confident about my decision... Did I make the right choice? I have shoulder pain(something agitating my diaphragm?) and I can't tell if my stomach is growling because it's truly hungry or if its upset... I feel like I should't whine about any of it because I signed up to do this... I made this choice. Is this normal?

I also had my surgery on August 26th and i totally feel what you are saying about the liquid diet. Some things that are helping me through are the wonton Soup broth. I love it. My doctor has allowed me to progress to thin cream Soups, yogurt and pudding which satisfies the sweet tooth. Yesterday i was allowed to start thin mashed potatoes (this is the only time my doctor will allow mashed potatoes) and today I'm allowed to have well chewed bananas and strawberries. I'm not sure what eating plan your surgeon has you on but these are some foods that have really helped me through. I'm allowed to start slowly adding scrambled eggs on Wednesday. Cream of wheat is another food that has really kept me satisfied. It's warm, filling and you can use splenda brown sugar to sweeten it a little. I read that you've been chewing on ice chips but maybe try a sugar free popsicle. You can chew on it and it taste good. I also have the same problem with the stomach growling. Sometimes i have a hard time telling if i'm hungry or not. I have figured out for myself that if my stomach is growling and i'm light headed, then i'm hungry.

aj, i think you are normal. you are half way home! give a call to your physician to see what suggestions they might have or if you can step up to mushies. the one thing that I have learned about this process is ....the rules are all over the place! some have liquids for 1 week some have a few days and then some have it for weeks. I am only speaking about surgeries without any complications here.

The one thing I will tell you is that first bite of mushy food will be heaven! to this day my poached egg is and was the best thing in the world!

you can do this!

When I was in the hospital, there was a patient that was eating liquids right after surgery... so the rules must be flexible according to your body and what you can tolerate.

I know what you are saying about wanting to chew on something.. I had to jump up to pureed foods, but I still do the liquids too. But like right now. I had 1oz. pureed Protein and 1oz. pureed veggies and I am still having hunger pangs... I am drinking Water and it is still growling... makes me want to make a huge sammich! <_< BUT no... ;)

I am a little bit in a lucky place as my husband had neck surgery a week before I had mine and he has to eat soft foods due to his neck being swollen, so we cook meals that work for us and still work for our son, who is living with us. I just have to make mine even MORE soft before eating it.

Pop-cycles are my friend... :P

Dear Newbie,

Hang in there... I enjoyed reading your story and as for myself, my surgery is scheduled for Sept 14th. There are going to be hard times but remember this is a going to change your life. Like another member mentioned, you are half way there from your first fill. Just think of the times that you dieted and the hours and/or days that you probably starved yourself in hope to lose some pounds. Well this is a little more permanent and you can do it.

The good thing is that there are so many people on here to try and make you feel better even on hard days. So besides being strong and thinking that you will get through this, coming on here and releasing your tension will also help.

Good luck to you and may we all get through this as pain less as possible!

xoxo