Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am now on day 6 and I feel like I am starving, is that even possible? I am so tired of sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello, and broth. Is there ANYTHING else I can have?! I have been back at work since Monday, which was the first day my gas was no longer gas but diarrhea (I feel weird writing about my bowel movements). Today is my second day of being in the bathroom everytime I put any of the above 3 things in my mouth, and I just don't understand why I can't have a Protein shake...I think I would kill for a Protein Shake right about now, I mean how much more gassy can I get?!

I am feeling frustrated and looking for some support!

I am not sure what your doctor recommended but I was able to start Protein shakes 24 hours after surgery. I know every doctor is different. When can you start Protein Shakes?

I personally think it is too extreme to be on Clear liquids for more than 48 hours after surgery. I know some doctors say a week. You are starving! Your body needs fuel and nutrition to heal itself.

There will be people on here who tell you to listen to your doctor and do only what they say. I agree with that advice up to a certain point. I say listen to your body.

Doctors tell us all the time not to do fad diets...not eating for a week seems like a fad and something a 15 year old does when she wants to lose weight and does not seem healthy to me!

**Notice** This is my opinion only and not meant to serve as medical advice.

Good Luck!

I agree with Jen. I was on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks with the exceptions of Protein Shakes, milk and lumpfree yogurt. He said that Protein was imperative to proper healing.

The reason some doctors say stay on clear liquids is so that your body won't have any thing to digest. With digestion comes movement, with movement comes the opportunity for your band to not heal and adhere to the stomach that it was just sewn to. Be careful with your choices, bc your body is different from the next person.

Good luck to you!

Well let me tell you.....dry.gif...I was told the same thing by my doc. Liquids for 2 weeks pre-op, liquids 2 weeks post op, and puree 2 weeks after that, then gradual solids on week 5. I am not ashamed to say I did stay on liquids until my 6th day post op. Then introduced my self to apple sauce. I am on my 9th day post op and am drinking Protein shakes, and had 5 cheezit crackers with my Souprolleyes.gif. I have not gotten sick and my band has not slipped. I am not starving anymore nor am i gorging myself.tongue.gif I know i am taking a risk but i was feeling faint. NOW I feel so much better.

There you have it.....I know some would Condemn me for this but it was my choice and i am still losing weight. 13lbs in 8 days. My first fill is not till 9/19/11. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Good luck! God Bless. biggrin.gif

I am three weeks out. I was suppose to be on liquids for 2weeks post op then mushies 2 weeks and then slow introduce solids. I too was starving by day 6 and introduced Protein Shakes. This helped. Two days before mushies I started with thinned refried Beans for dinner and they stayed with me much longer and I slept better. Now I have oatmeal for Breakfast, greek yogurt with no whole fruit for snack, tuna with a dot of mayo and dot of pickle relish for lunch and for dinner I have tilapia with a small amount of pico de gallo and lemon. I drink 64 oz of Water a day. Every other day for breakfast I have a homemade Protein Shake. I also walk at least 1 mile a day. I am on myfitnesspal.com and it has a smart phone app that is great....helps out alot. if you want to join I am always game for friends and we can support each other there also. Good Luck!! :D:D:D

Thank you, that's it I'm gonna have a Protein Shake for lunch! Very helpful, thank you. I say lunch because my husband says it doesn't matter what you all are eating, I should listen to my Dr.

I can't believe I'm about to say this.....Your husband is right!

Well,,,,,,,,,, You should always listen to your Doctor ! BUT ! You have to listen to your Body to.

So Protein helps cut hunger, but that could be to thick...... So you thin it out REASONABLEY ! ! ! So you can get some Protein in, and kill your Hunger.

Even if you say "shake looks thin to me..." Thin it out !

I'm not a Dr.. so this is all on you...

If it were me, I would thin that out to watery, sip it slowly, and no straw., Then I would be hoping that the protein does it's job, and it should help.

Today I wasn't as hungry, surprise surprise...I still haven't had that Protein Shake. But it is in the back of my mind. I appreciate all of the support (both ways), just having you all to talk too makes this easier. (Day 7)

Yeah, I said screw it and called the doctors office...and wouldn't you know he puts me on hold and later comes back and tells me I can have a Protein shake!!! Then he tells me the first week is the hardest, and I'm almost there :)

I did not have to do a pre-diet, but was told liquids 2-weeks post op. I was about 7-8 days post op and couldn't take it anymore, so I ate apple sauce, mashed potatoes and Soup broth. The masked potatoes really helped me get over the faint and nausea I had for 2-weeks after surgery.

Hi Jess527, tomorrow will be two weeks for me! i can tell you that on day 6 i went back to work on Clear Liquids only ( my doc wanted 1 week clear liquids, week 2 full liquids, week 3 introduce mushies and by week 4 introduce solid food) i ended up weak, my bp bottomed and had to go home. I started that same day with full liquids. I felt like my body healed faster, and my stomach was not as swollen and I could handle more food. I did call my docs office to express to them that i could not manage on just clear liquid intake, my body was asking for more. They agreed that i could slowly introduce other liquids. I am now slowly introducing mushy foods. I guess until i get a fill i wont stop feeling hungry in between meals. But until then i also have to think of my body and it needing energy. i must also add that since my surgery i have lost 11lbs, so it's not like m going in the wrong direction. I hope you start to feel better and dont feel ashamed that you did not follow your docs instructions to the tee. we are all different and therefor so are ouf bodies.

Thanks LJM, I have high blood pressure and I am on medication for it, maybe that played a role in the answer I received not long ago from doctors office to go ahead and have a Protein Shake.< /p>

I started full liquids on day 7. Today is day 8 post op for me. Yesterday I had cream of Tomato Soup and an EAS shake. It tasted so good! However, not long after having the shake my stomach was rumbly, bloated and gassy. I was miserable! I think for me it is a milk/milk product intolerance. Today I had a Lactose free shake and back to clear liquids. I am feeling much better. Not everyone is the same but I wanted to post my experience with going to the full liquids. Will try a V8 tonight and soy milk.

Good Luck Jess527!!

weight.png