Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poor Endoscopy results

As part of the pre-requisite for surgery, I completed my endoscopy and was shocked at the findings. The gastro dr. said that he would not recommend me for Lap-Band at this time due to previosuly undiagnosed relux. I had no idea I had any issues! I apparently have gastritis and an ulcer in my stomach. He said the band can create additional issues and that Lap-Band may not be the best option for me. I am now on prescription meds and have another Upper GI in 1 month. Needless to say, I was devastated. I had a follow up with my bariatric surgeon and he said that is not necessarily true. He said with the Lap Band the band is placed high enough that irritating meds and foods should not have an impact in my stomach. In addition, they can still monitor my ulcer and any issues because they aren't bypassing my stomach as they would with the gastric bypass and can therefore still conduct an upper GI in the future. We agreed to a follow up meeting and a decision once I have my second Upper GI. Has anyone else had a similiar issue?

Wow, i am sorry to hear that you are having issues you had no idea about before. But at least you know now that you have reflux which if left untreated can cause other issues down the road. I do hope the Bariatric Surgeon is correct and that the Band will not affect your problem. Maybe get a second opinion to confer what was said. Wishing you the best and hope it all works out for you.

Reflux can clear up very quickly with medication. If you can refrain from eating large meals, especially at night before you go to bed, it will clear up in a month or 2. Be persistant, it is worth it in the end.

If your issues were caused by H. Pylori then you have a good chance of being cured with all the meds you are taking then can procede with banding....personally I would give more weight to the GI doc's advice because he has no horse in the race like the band doctor has.

There is recent evidence that long term use of Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI's) like Prilosec can cause other problems so if you are having reflux after all this treatment I would delay banding.

Best wishes and post updates for us.

Mimi

What other porblems can happen with PPI's? I was just put on Nexium because my reflux is affecting my asthma. I have tried all f the otc ones with minimal result. The Nexium has really helped, I am not waking up at night coughing and wheezong any more. I ma hoping the reflus will go away after I am banded and cah loose te belly fat.

Short term use of PPI's is fine. I can't type worth a hoot but if you search the net you should find some reading. Mine came from a medical journal. There is always the risk benefit ratio and you sound like PPI's are what you need. Good luck on your journey.

Mimi

I have a question about this my bloodwork showed that I had high levels of bacteria in my blood that form ulcers. I have my upper GI tomorrow, but my question is could I have ulcers im not sure what the symptoms are...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Like a lot of people, my patience isn't as strong as it should be. :) I simply need to take my PPI for the next 6 weeks and await the results of my next Upper GI. I'll keep everyone posted as we determine the next steps.