Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self paying... who to choose??

Ok, I'm in need of some advise... I'm a self pay and I'm trying to figure out who to go to for my surgery... My options so far.....

Local surgeon in my hometown - all inclusive with a year's worth of fills and follow up (outpatient) $16,400 initial consult would be my $40 ins co-pay

Plastic surgery center 7 hours away - all inclusive and 1 fill (outpatient) $9,000 free consult

Mexico - all inclusive $5,000 not sure about consult

My gut is telling me the doctor in my hometown but my wallet is telling me the other places..... Thoughts? Others who self pay, what is your determining factor?

If you go with the home town doctor it will cost you more, but in the long run it might be cheaper. Aftercare is very important. If you go to Mexico where will you go after and how much will it cost you? If you go 7 hours away how much are you going to spend traveling back and forth over the next year? I like the peace of mind I get from knowing my doctor is half an hour away and there when I need him.

Ok, I'm in need of some advise... I'm a self pay and I'm trying to figure out who to go to for my surgery... My options so far.....

Local surgeon in my hometown - all inclusive with a year's worth of fills and follow up (outpatient) $16,400 initial consult would be my $40 ins co-pay

Plastic surgery center 7 hours away - all inclusive and 1 fill (outpatient) $9,000 free consult

My gut is telling me the doctor in my hometown but my wallet is telling me the other places..... Thoughts? Others who self pay, what is your determining factor?

Hi, I agree with Cindy. Stay close to home. Your travel expenses would be very high over the years. All the best to you. Keep us posted on your progress!

Melinda

i was self pay as well and while cost was a factor, the after care was more of a concern.. you need to be able to access your doctor for your follow up visits. i know some people go to mexico, but that just scares me to death. i think in the long run having your hometown doc may be better.

I was self pay also, and I spent weeks researching surgeons and centers to find the right one. I was horribly picky, but ended up with True Results in Phoenix. Phoenix has lots of options, and I liked using a center that offered aftercare for a year. All fills and appointments are covered for the first year. I LOVE THIS. I can meet with the doc, NP, nutritionist as much as I want. I take advantage of this!

Here are questions that I asked:

Can I meet with the surgeon before I pay any money? If they said no, it was an immediate NO

Can I attend one of your support groups before I pay or make a decision? If they said no, it was an immediate NO

Fill Cost (is Flouro extra?)

Fill Procedure (do they decide if I need a fill? do I have input in the decision?), use ultrasound, flouro, or nothing?

Who does fills? (MD or PA/NP)

Surgery Cost

Pre Op Testing Required

Post Surgery Complication (is BLIS insurance available if I want it?)

Pre Op Prep (liquid diet?)

Surgical Technique (how many incisions?)

Support Groups & Counseling (what is offered/how frequent)

Nutritional Counseling

Exercise (can you refer someone to work with me?)

Pros

Cons

Aftercare was HUGE for me. I'm 6 wks post op and I LOVE having people there to call if something is wrong and the monthly support groups (I've been to two) make me feel like I'm not totally nuts. Talking to someone without a band is helpful, yes, but sitting in a room full of people that have been through this is INVALUABLE! Good luck - be picky. You're paying for it!

Amy

I was self pay also, and I spent weeks researching surgeons and centers to find the right one. I was horribly picky, but ended up with True Results in Phoenix. Phoenix has lots of options, and I liked using a center that offered aftercare for a year. All fills and appointments are covered for the first year. I LOVE THIS. I can meet with the doc, NP, nutritionist as much as I want. I take advantage of this!

Here are questions that I asked:

Can I meet with the surgeon before I pay any money? If they said no, it was an immediate NO

Can I attend one of your support groups before I pay or make a decision? If they said no, it was an immediate NO

Fill Cost (is Flouro extra?)

Fill Procedure (do they decide if I need a fill? do I have input in the decision?), use ultrasound, flouro, or nothing?

Who does fills? (MD or PA/NP)

Surgery Cost

Pre Op Testing Required

Post Surgery Complication (is BLIS insurance available if I want it?)

Pre Op Prep (liquid diet?)

Surgical Technique (how many incisions?)

Support Groups & Counseling (what is offered/how frequent)

Nutritional Counseling

Exercise (can you refer someone to work with me?)

Pros

Cons

Aftercare was HUGE for me. I'm 6 wks post op and I LOVE having people there to call if something is wrong and the monthly support groups (I've been to two) make me feel like I'm not totally nuts. Talking to someone without a band is helpful, yes, but sitting in a room full of people that have been through this is INVALUABLE! Good luck - be picky. You're paying for it!

Amy

You really did your homework. Those are excellent questions. I'm sure your list will help alot of people doing their research. Good job!:)

Thanks for the awesome advise all! I've gone to the two seminars they offer in town and called up a bunch of other places. Looks like I'm going to go with the local dr and lifeisbeginning... I LOVE your questions! What's seems good about the surgeon I'm choosing is that he answered most (if not all) of those already! Scheduled my one-on-one consult for Thursday 8/25!

I even applied online for CareCredit and got an instant $8,800 (18 months no interest yay!) That's a little over half! I'm so excited to get started!

Thanks again all!

I am self pay as well and I would go with the local option. As the other's have said, aftercare is so important. You don't want to be sitting at home saying to yourself, "I really need to talk to someone about _______, but I'm not sure how much that will cost me." I bet when your aftercare and fills are paid out of pocket there are sometimes when people do not go in and pay for what they need. When it's paid up front you are free to ask and get as much as you need.

I would go with your hometown surgeon so long as he/she is skilled in this surgery and is a Center of Excellence. Some surgeons won't touch patients who were banded in Mexico (and I think most are still using older technology bands but can't say for sure). If you need care back home, you may have a hard time finding someone to look after you.

Good luck!

Hometown ! But,,, check him out, and anyone else in your area or neighboring County.

You need good aftercare, and that is vital with the band. No ifs, ands or buts about that.

I'm glad you chose Hometown, and I'm sure they will be good to you.

Good Luck, Shirley.