Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAPPY i had a 2wk liquid diet

Did a little bit of reflecting over the weekend, and I've come to realize that I LOVE that I had a 2 week Protein Shake only liquid diet. Yes, you read that right. This coming from the girl that kicked, screamed, and complained through most of the preop diet. I know that some people are not required (or are required to do the liquid only diet and choose not to), but boy am I glad that my surgeon requires it. Here's why. I truly appreciate every piece of food that goes into my mouth...most importantly the healthy stuff. And of course, it did jump start my weightloss.

Before the band and before the preop diet, I wasn't a binger. Yes, I ate too much food, but not bingeing. And I am a complete carb queen...and chocolate fanatic, sugar addict, lol you get the point. Vegetables, whole foods and healthy foods were not a part of my daily diet. I even counted ice cream as a milk product when on Weight Watchers. Most days of the week I ate ALL my meals at fast food restaurants. This morning when I ate a hardboiled egg with 1 oz of low fat cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, I was content. My insides felt good (weird, I know lol). Now if I were to rewind back to May of this last year, I would've had a Dunking Donuts croissant with eggs and cheese and a medium iced caramel latte with whipped cream for Breakfast and I never felt full or content.

I know I have the band to thank for this, but it's more than that. Being "deprived" of the garbage food I was eating really helped me gain perspective. My body was created perfectly by God (sorry if others believe otherwise, don't want to create waves here) and I was slowly destroying what He gave me. I feel back on track and happy with my new way of eating and my new way of thinking. Yes, at the beginning of my recovery time I did think "omgosh what did I do?" because of the discomfort I was in on my second day post op, but it did pass and I felt brand new on day 5.

So anyone that is about to start or in the middle of their preop diet, YOU CAN DO IT! It truly does get easier, I promise you that! And once the preop diet is over, I hope you can relate to what I've said.

Best of luck everyone :)

Im still waiting for the insurance approval and so last night I decided heck why not go to the cheescake factory and enjoy a banana cream cheesecake....after reading your post...I feel extremely guilty. Your post made me think, reflect and it put things into perspective for me. Just because I do not have a date yet doesn't mean that I should eat carelessly and shouldn't start living a healthier life. I remember very very long ago..when a few crackers and a hard boiled egg used to keep me satisfied...

Im glad you reflected...and posted it...it made me think and it inspired me...good luck with your journey and keep us posted :)

Well said Crash! I think not having any junk 10 days before mine got my body ready to succeed with my weight loss. I am down 90 pounds since April and loving it. 50 to go to my goal! I do eat weight watchers dark chocolate raspberry ice cream bars when I want something (80 cals and oh so good!) Good luck and you have the right frame of mind to succeed.

good for you

I too have done a preop diet and am proud of myself since I havent had a successful run in over 20 years, I started at 200, have lost 17 pounds and am getting the lapband on tuesday august 9th.nervous but excited. any post op advice you can give me for the recovery is greatly appreciated. take care and good luck

Did a little bit of reflecting over the weekend, and I've come to realize that I LOVE that I had a 2 week Protein shake only liquid diet. Yes, you read that right. This coming from the girl that kicked, screamed, and complained through most of the preop diet. I know that some people are not required (or are required to do the liquid only diet and choose not to), but boy am I glad that my surgeon requires it. Here's why. I truly appreciate every piece of food that goes into my mouth...most importantly the healthy stuff. And of course, it did jump start my weightloss.

Before the band and before the preop diet, I wasn't a binger. Yes, I ate too much food, but not bingeing. And I am a complete carb queen...and chocolate fanatic, sugar addict, lol you get the point. Vegetables, whole foods and healthy foods were not a part of my daily diet. I even counted ice cream as a milk product when on Weight Watchers. Most days of the week I ate ALL my meals at fast food restaurants. This morning when I ate a hardboiled egg with 1 oz of low fat cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, I was content. My insides felt good (weird, I know lol). Now if I were to rewind back to May of this last year, I would've had a Dunking Donuts croissant with eggs and cheese and a medium iced caramel latte with whipped cream for breakfast and I never felt full or content.

I know I have the band to thank for this, but it's more than that. Being "deprived" of the garbage food I was eating really helped me gain perspective. My body was created perfectly by God (sorry if others believe otherwise, don't want to create waves here) and I was slowly destroying what He gave me. I feel back on track and happy with my new way of eating and my new way of thinking. Yes, at the beginning of my recovery time I did think "omgosh what did I do?" because of the discomfort I was in on my second day post op, but it did pass and I felt brand new on day 5.

So anyone that is about to start or in the middle of their preop diet, YOU CAN DO IT! It truly does get easier, I promise you that! And once the preop diet is over, I hope you can relate to what I've said.

Best of luck everyone :)

good for you

I too have done a preop diet and am proud of myself since I havent had a successful run in over 20 years, I started at 200, have lost 17 pounds and am getting the lapband on tuesday august 9th.nervous but excited. any post op advice you can give me for the recovery is greatly appreciated. take care and good luck

You're getting your band on my birthday! I think that means good luck lol I've learned that everyone's recovery is different. My mom got the band and she said she felt a lot of gas pain. I was trying to prepare myself for that... but came to find I had NO gas pains after surgery. As soon as I woke up the nurse asked me if I was in any pain or if I was nauseous. I said yes to both and they took care of it right away. Keep in mind, the pain was not unbearable at all, I just didn't want to feel the smallest amount of pain because I am a big baby! The ride home, which is tricky for some, was easy for me. I suggest bringing a pillow and putting it between you and the seatbelt. Incase there are potholes or if the driver stops short, you have some cushion. My doctor gave me percocet just as a precaution. I napped when I got home, and a few hours later I started to feel a little bit of pain take over my body (later to find that anesthesia is not my friend). But as far as my stomach being sore or the incisions, yes they're sore, but completely manageable with tylenol-- no big thing. Don't get worried! I did take the percocet at night to help me sleep because the anesthesia made all of my muscles sore for about 2-3 days.

Two days after surgery I had to go into work for an important meeting. I got through it, but looking back, I shouldn't have gone only because sitting for hours was uncomfortable. Again, nothing was extremely painful, just tender. My surgery was on a Wednesday and I went back to work the following Monday. After work I got home and napped, you'll be tired for a good week/week and a half. The best thing to do is to plan out your food and have things on hand that you can eat. Allow yourself to eat all the things that are ok'd after surgery by your surgeon. I limited myself to just chicken broth when I could've had a variety of things, and I regret not switching it up a little. ALWAYS listen to your doctor. I picked something up that was over 10lbs and when I checked my incision there was a little bit of fresh blood. After that I didn't lift another thing! I hope this helps, and I'm sorry I gave you a novel! Feel free to ask anymore questions :) You're going to do great Tuesday! And just to throw it in there, I would go through recovery 3 more times if I had to... it's worth it!!

Well said Crash! I think not having any junk 10 days before mine got my body ready to succeed with my weight loss. I am down 90 pounds since April and loving it. 50 to go to my goal! I do eat weight watchers dark chocolate raspberry ice cream bars when I want something (80 cals and oh so good!) Good luck and you have the right frame of mind to succeed.

I am amazed at how well you have done!!! I hope I'm that successful. And don't get me wrong... I still love my sweets! lol I'm going to try those WW chocolate bars :)

Im still waiting for the insurance approval and so last night I decided heck why not go to the cheescake factory and enjoy a banana cream cheesecake....after reading your post...I feel extremely guilty. Your post made me think, reflect and it put things into perspective for me. Just because I do not have a date yet doesn't mean that I should eat carelessly and shouldn't start living a healthier life. I remember very very long ago..when a few crackers and a hard boiled egg used to keep me satisfied...

Im glad you reflected...and posted it...it made me think and it inspired me...good luck with your journey and keep us posted :)

I'm so happy that I inspiried you :) Please don't feel guilty! I went all out prior to my preop diet... including the Cheesecake Factory... redvelvet cheesecake... my mouth just watered! During my preop diet, I did slip up once or twice and felt VERY guilty. I second guessed my surgery, my willpower, etc. I came on this website and vented and everyone told me not to feel guilty, but to learn from it... those were very smart people! You'll have your time, and when it comes to your surgery day you will be more than ready for it :) best of luck!!

I appreciate your candor. Today is my 1st day of the exciting 14-day Liquid Pre-op diet. LOL Iam wondering how many days it took you to shrink you tummy a bit so you weren't so hungry? Thanks!

I am go grateful for your story. My surgery is Aug 18th. I start me preop liquid diet on Wednesday. I have a renwed excitement!!! Now I am counting Wednesday as the start of my new life instead of the 18th!!

I appreciate your candor. Today is my 1st day of the exciting 14-day Liquid Pre-op diet. LOL Iam wondering how many days it took you to shrink you tummy a bit so you weren't so hungry? Thanks!

I am go grateful for your story. My surgery is Aug 18th. I start me preop liquid diet on Wednesday. I have a renwed excitement!!! Now I am counting Wednesday as the start of my new life instead of the 18th!!

You guys inspired me as much as I did you! Lucy, you might find it hard to believe, but I was only physically hungry twice. The Protein kept me full. When I was hungry I had lettuce, peppers, and onions with 1tbs of oil and 1 tbs of vinegar. The surgeon's office didn't like that I did that, but to me that wasn't really cheating... it was vegetables lol. And I did slip and have a small piece of cake for my sister's birthday. When I slipped up with the cake, I felt so GUILTY, thinking what if I mess up with the band, maybe I shouldn't get the band, etc. But it was fine. Don't let guilt consume you if the same happens to you.

Fourshepards, the first day of your preop is the first day of your new life! Best of luck :)

Hi Crash...this was an awesome post. Just what I need to get through the last 5 days of my pre-op diet. It's so inspiring to hear from people who have made it through the surgery and are doing well. I too have had a couple slip-ups during my pre-op diet and felt guilty about it. However, I was a binger and my small slip-ups have not even touched the type of damage I used to go to myself. Physically with food, and mentally all day long. I used to be totally consummed by food. Eating, thinking, living in guilt. Being on the pre-op diet for the past 8 days and I already fell like a weight has been lifted of my shoulders. It's like the never-ending cycle I was in...ended. And I'm so much more at peace. I have also been enjoying not being so full all the time. I was eating so much all the time I was constantly full and uncomfortable all the time. It feels so good to be satified with a regular, healthy meal and not so controlled by carbs and sugar. I have sugery on Monday and it just can't get here soon enough. I will take your advice about having everything I'm allowed during post-op and about bring a pillow with me for the drive home (especially because my drive is 2 hours long).

Thanks again :D