Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band for a BMI of Less than 35?

Hi everyone,

I've been considering Lap Band for over a year now. I always end up turning away from it for the following reasons:

1) I have a BMI of about 32.5 (I'm 5'4, and 190 lbs right now). I feel like while I am what is classified as obese, I should be able to take care of my weight just with exercise and a proper diet.

2) I'm only 25. I've been fortunate to have never had to have any type of serious surgery up till this point in my life. My parents have raised me with the idea that one should avoid surgery as much as possible (unless its absolutely needed) because it almost always will result in complications. I feel like I'm still young, and I have a lot of life to still live. I wonder if getting the procedure done will complicate and reduce my quality of life in any way?

3) I am in Grad school and its very demanding. I do have a month off in the winter and then Summers off. But I wonder if complications could offer during the School year which would disrupt my studies.

My reasons for considering the Lap Band procedure:

1) I've been overweight since I was maybe in the 4th grade. I come from a South Asian background in which people are very critical and frank about other peoples appearances. I'm very used to family friends, family members, constantly commenting on my weight. At all times. At any occasion. And as much as I'd love to tell them all to mind their manners and back off- its really not possible for me to change the culture. I've been so aware about my weight for such a long time that I believe it completely contributed to my being depressed. When I was 18, I was diagnosed with clinical depression and I have been taking anti depressants since that time.

I lost weight through diet and exercise twice successfully. Once when I was around 17- but that was accomplished through at least 2 hours of cardio every day, and being bulimic. I got down to about 140 lbs, which was the thinnest I've been in my adult life and the only time I was at a healthy weight.

I stopped the purging thing many years ago because of all of the frightening consequences but I havent stopped the binging. I've always had a problem with over eating.

I actually got up to 225 pounds in 2006. My boyfriend at the time told me he was no longer attracted to me (Which broke my heart) and I decided I'd lose weight. Through eating healthy and working out every day again, I got down to 175. Despite my attempts at loosing the weight, nothing seems to want to budge. I think I've almost become numb to it. But then I'm reminded how it is an issue.

Since then, I've gotten back to around 185-190, which is where I most often am at.

I have very high cholesterol and diabetes from both my paternal and maternal sides of the family. Both of my grandmothers are morbidly obese, and almost all of the women from my moms side of the family are obese as well.

I know that anyone who is overweight knows what its like to be made fun of, or stigmatized, or limited because of their body weight. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to ever be able to wear a Bikini.

For that brief time that I was slimmer, I was amazed at how people treated me. Like a princess. Strangers were so kind. And to be able to compare that to how I am treated now ( which is still fine, its just NOT anywhere close to what it was when I was thin) is amazing and horrible.

My father is a Physician and he really wants me to seriously consider the lap band.

I guess I'm just scared of the complications and I'm disappointed in myself for not being able to control my eating. I'd really appreciate anyones input about all of this. Thanks for taking the time to read. Take care.

Hi everyone,

I've been considering Lap Band for over a year now. I always end up turning away from it for the following reasons:

1) I have a BMI of about 32.5 (I'm 5'4, and 190 lbs right now). I feel like while I am what is classified as obese, I should be able to take care of my weight just with exercise and a proper diet.

2) I'm only 25. I've been fortunate to have never had to have any type of serious surgery up till this point in my life. My parents have raised me with the idea that one should avoid surgery as much as possible (unless its absolutely needed) because it almost always will result in complications. I feel like I'm still young, and I have a lot of life to still live. I wonder if getting the procedure done will complicate and reduce my quality of life in any way?

3) I am in Grad school and its very demanding. I do have a month off in the winter and then Summers off. But I wonder if complications could offer during the School year which would disrupt my studies.

My reasons for considering the Lap Band procedure:

1) I've been overweight since I was maybe in the 4th grade. I come from a South Asian background in which people are very critical and frank about other peoples appearances. I'm very used to family friends, family members, constantly commenting on my weight. At all times. At any occasion. And as much as I'd love to tell them all to mind their manners and back off- its really not possible for me to change the culture. I've been so aware about my weight for such a long time that I believe it completely contributed to my being depressed. When I was 18, I was diagnosed with clinical depression and I have been taking anti depressants since that time.

I lost weight through diet and exercise twice successfully. Once when I was around 17- but that was accomplished through at least 2 hours of cardio every day, and being bulimic. I got down to about 140 lbs, which was the thinnest I've been in my adult life and the only time I was at a healthy weight.

I stopped the purging thing many years ago because of all of the frightening consequences but I havent stopped the binging. I've always had a problem with over eating.

I actually got up to 225 pounds in 2006. My boyfriend at the time told me he was no longer attracted to me (Which broke my heart) and I decided I'd lose weight. Through eating healthy and working out every day again, I got down to 175. Despite my attempts at loosing the weight, nothing seems to want to budge. I think I've almost become numb to it. But then I'm reminded how it is an issue.

Since then, I've gotten back to around 185-190, which is where I most often am at.

I have very high cholesterol and diabetes from both my paternal and maternal sides of the family. Both of my grandmothers are morbidly obese, and almost all of the women from my moms side of the family are obese as well.

I know that anyone who is overweight knows what its like to be made fun of, or stigmatized, or limited because of their body weight. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to ever be able to wear a Bikini.

For that brief time that I was slimmer, I was amazed at how people treated me. Like a princess. Strangers were so kind. And to be able to compare that to how I am treated now ( which is still fine, its just NOT anywhere close to what it was when I was thin) is amazing and horrible.

My father is a Physician and he really wants me to seriously consider the lap band.

I guess I'm just scared of the complications and I'm disappointed in myself for not being able to control my eating. I'd really appreciate anyones input about all of this. Thanks for taking the time to read. Take care.

hi, hon, thank you for your post and welcome to our little group! By all means, if your dad is asking you to consider bariatric surgery, I would at least go to an informational seminar at a center of excellence. I do not know where you are in Texas but for sure they are in the major cities. If you have the financial means or insurance to cover it, I would seriously consider it. Nip it in the bud while you are young. Don't wait till you are my age (54) and have developed several co-morbities. All the best to you. Feel free to join us often. I really like this website.

Melinda

Wow, that was alot said! Ok here's what I think, my opinion! Being only 25 your body is still in it's "young". State. Once you hit the 30s you will notice a huge change in your metabolism and energy levels. My only thought is if you don't get it now, when you get to the 30s you may wish you had gotten it.

There are 2 things I know from the statistics of the Lap Band , one is, a very high percentage in the 90s come out having no major problems w/ their band. Basically, it is a learning experience in how to live with it. Two, is that the band will not get in your way in the future if you get married and have children. I heard that it does not affect pregnancy in a negative way at all. Lots of patients lose weight and then become prego years later. Also, that most people come off the meds they are on for diabetes, high BP, or high Chol.

Noone can make the choce for you but you have to decide when it is right and if you aren't 100% sure right now, I would say NOT YET. In another few years u may feel totally different and be more sure then. I commend u on your 2 successful diet attempts. Going up and down is still considered the yo yo effect. Don't get frustrated with trying if u feel like u can do it. Best of luck to you, young friend!

This is your choice and you're the only one who can decide if it's what you want and if you are willing to work with it. (It's not a quick fix and you do need to work WITH it) You have shown that you can seriously work on it and that you only give up after realizing that you can't keep it off. I think most of us agree that we all have issues with eating too much and some of us can lose weight by "diet and exercise" but we can't keep it off. The band is a tool that will work with you if you're willing to work with it. I think your dad sees that you are willing to do the work and just need a little help. I'm not saying to go get the band, but like another person said, go to an informational seminar at a center of excellence. My dr has had so few complications and I trust him! Research the drs in your area and find one that is right for you and that you are comfortable with.

As far as family and friends, do not do this for them. My parents and some close friends know about the band....but my extended family has no idea. They think I'm on another diet. It's GREAT that your dad is recommending this because you will at least have someone there to support you. Support is a big thing during this journey and it will make it much smoother if you have someone on your side.

Do the research, I think the band is a great option and it sounds like you may have the right mindset for it. Ask any questions on here and you'll get lots of answers and support.

Good luck!

Hello from another Texan. Get into a seminar and arm your self with as much information as possible. Then make your decision. You are the only one that can make this choice, but you already know you have your father backing you and that is HUGE!. From your post I think you are an excellant candidate for lap band. You have very similar stats to me post op. I weighed in at 187 and 5' 3 and 1/2" tall. I am down to about 156 now and still losing. My blood pressure is so much better now and I feel better too!

Wishing you the very best with your decision and surgery if you decide to go ahead! Keep us posted!

Take care,

Sandy

While you weigh a lot less then I ever did at your highest, I can relate to what you've said. At 13, 18, 30 I lost significant amounts of weight up to and including 100 pounds. I gained it back every time. I was super committed to watching my diet and lots of exercise. Problem was that I had to be so stringent it was not sustainable. In fact at 18 I was probably slightly anorexic. I also have a family whose female members were obese but who obsessed about my weight.

The band will not make you thin. YOU will still need to exercise (I do an hour daily), and watch what you eat. But once you get to restriction it will help you eat less. Personally I don't keep my band so tight that I get complications that others get. I read on this board that people know they are too tight, can't eat 3 oz of solid Protein (so they drink Protein shakes for nutritian) but won't loosen the band. They are loosing weight quickly so they don't want to slow things down. This is the wrong mentality! If you keep your band at a good level your likelyhood of having problems (trouble getting food to go down) will be greatly reduced. Also keeping the band too tight can lead to having the band slip, which is a major complication.

Do I wish I'd had lap band sugery 10 years ago at 30 and could have kept the weight off. Yes.

hello ok that was alot but in the end it is your decision i know that when i decided to get the surgery it was for reasons for myself im only 19 and i just had the surgery on the 15th i went through alot to get the surgery with my insurance i had to go to a nutrionist once a month for 6 months and i had to have test done and i had to go to a therpist with ur history of deppression im not sure if the lap band would b a help to you and the reason i say this is because with the lap band u can still eat whatever u want you know its not like the gastric bypass that causes u to get sick if u eat fats or sweets its NOT A QUICK FIX there is alot of work to be done after the surgery and its not easy if you were successful dieting and working out then i would suggest u try that but dont go on a diet because thats how ppl gain the weight back because they get tired of the diet or they just stop just start eating right eat heathier and work out a good thing that i suggest is to look at the lables and cout everything u eat on a normal day and then if is alot like more than 2500 calories cut them in half my doct. told me a good amount to shoot for is 1500 if trying to lose weight. and if this fails to work then go and check out a seminar they are wonderful about giving you the nformation needed to know a website that i studied alot was http://www.lapband.com/en/home/ it tells you so much about the surgery that when i went to the seminar i alreadyknew alot of what they were saying do some reay good reasearch before you commet 100% to it BUT IN THE END IT IS 100%YOUR CHOICE please keep me posted on what u decided to do and how ur progress is going i love this site

can you tell me how to make one of those weightloss trackers

Hello from another Texan. Get into a seminar and arm your self with as much information as possible. Then make your decision. You are the only one that can make this choice, but you already know you have your father backing you and that is HUGE!. From your post I think you are an excellant candidate for lap band. You have very similar stats to me post op. I weighed in at 187 and 5' 3 and 1/2" tall. I am down to about 156 now and still losing. My blood pressure is so much better now and I feel better too!

Wishing you the very best with your decision and surgery if you decide to go ahead! Keep us posted!

Take care,

Sandy