Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Really stuck Episode w/slime

Okay, so I guess I was getting rather cocky with no restriction. Yes, eating more than I should and just crossing my fingers that the 2nd fill will help. I went food shopping and order chinese (egg drop Soup and salt and pepper shrimp). I had the shrimp dish 2 nights ago as well from a different chinese resturant with no problems.

Well I popped a shrimp in my mouth while I was unpacking my (healthy) groceries and I admit I didn't chew it-it sort of went down whole. Well, OMG is all I can say!! I hear people talk about how uncomfortable it is but this was torture! I had mini-teeny stuck-type feelings before but it went right away. This was a BIG stuck moment. I started to slime (clear rabies-looking slime-no foam though)....and it felt like a rock was in the middle of my chest that I simply couldn't move one way or another. I was bent over the sink (no one was home thank God). I was thinking why did I get this band and I promise to chew my food! After a a couple of minutes it worked it's way through. So I guess I have a band in there afterall, even though I don't have restriction!

Here is my question-I was fortunate this happened in my home with no one around. What the hell happens if I am in work or worse yet in a restuarant?!! What do you do? Any suggestions other then chewing your food really good-I mean accidents happen. I heard Papaya Extract helps-should I keep some in my pocketbook? Do you keep a plastic bag in your purse just in case it happens in the car?

My throat still hurts a little!

Okay, so I guess I was getting rather cocky with no restriction. Yes, eating more than I should and just crossing my fingers that the 2nd fill will help. I went food shopping and order chinese (egg drop Soup and salt and pepper shrimp). I had the shrimp dish 2 nights ago as well from a different chinese resturant with no problems.

Well I popped a shrimp in my mouth while I was unpacking my (healthy) groceries and I admit I didn't chew it-it sort of went down whole. Well, OMG is all I can say!! I hear people talk about how uncomfortable it is but this was torture! I had mini-teeny stuck-type feelings before but it went right away. This was a BIG stuck moment. I started to slime (clear rabies-looking slime-no foam though)....and it felt like a rock was in the middle of my chest that I simply couldn't move one way or another. I was bent over the sink (no one was home thank God). I was thinking why did I get this band and I promise to chew my food! After a a couple of minutes it worked it's way through. So I guess I have a band in there afterall, even though I don't have restriction!

Here is my question-I was fortunate this happened in my home with no one around. What the hell happens if I am in work or worse yet in a restuarant?!! What do you do? Any suggestions other then chewing your food really good-I mean accidents happen. I heard Papaya Extract helps-should I keep some in my pocketbook? Do you keep a plastic bag in your purse just in case it happens in the car?

i had 1 stuck episode, that resulted in dry heaving and throwing up many times, to a band slip, to energency repair surgery....I am scared shitless that this will happen again...I bought the papaya enzymes and also my Dr gives us tablests that dissolve on your tounge for nauase and throwing up, so I keep them in my purse at all times. but now i do not eat anything from my hand, and i chew till its beyond mush

it hurt so bad i would not wish that pain on my wotst enemy ,

Welcome to the land of the banded! Looks like you're one of us now!!!

My first time WAS in a restaurant. Not only a restaurant...a packed restaurant inside of Comerica Park before the start of a Detroit Tigers game! I was with my son on our last "date" before he was to leave for college for the first time. I had only been on solid foods for a couple weeks. It was a hot day and we stood outside for about an hour waiting for them to open the gates. When we got in, I chugged a couple of glasses of ice Water. They brought his food, (I didnt order anything, just planned on taking a couple bites of his) I took a small bite of his burger and that's all it took. The slime and Water came out of me like old faithful! Luckily, there were extra napkins on the table and I was able to put them to good use. I ran into the bathroom and had 2 or 3 more episodes. It was most horrible thing I had ever experienced. I was in there so long, my son was worried about me and called my cell phone. I didn't even have the strength to open my purse and answer it. I felt so rotten I could barely pay attention to the game. It was about the 7th inning before I started feeling ok. I learned a very valuable lesson that day!!

Even though you don't have restriction, you still have a narrowing of the pathway food has to get through. What you experienced is classic of being stuck, based on my own experience. My first time was in a Mexican Restaurant (salsa and chips) while I was talking and laughing and eating. Next thing I know, I had knife pains in the center of my chest, and I knew it was time to hit the Men's Room. It eventually passed, but not till after I slimed like a mad dog for several minutes. I was able to go back to the table and finish my meal, but I was eating slower than a snail after that. I've since only gotten stuck to the point of sliming a few times, and each time was in public. Broccoli is the worst, for some reason. I've never gotten stuck at home. Luckily I've been able to make it to the restroom each time it's happened. But I take each bite carefully now, believe me! It doesn't take too many of those kinds of episodes to educate a bandster really quickly!

If your throat is still sore, try liquids for a day or two and let things settle down. You'll be fine.

Dave

2 rules for me, do NOT eat while distracted and do NOT eat while driving (see first rule). To try to drive while stuck is just plain dangerous. Personally, I find eating while driving gross. My pet peeve (well, one of many) is to see someone driving along shoving a cheeseburger down their pie-hole. unsure.gif Nasty! For a bandster, paying close attention while eating is rule #1!

I have urped in parking lots, bushes, and public toilets. none of which are fun, but for me were unavoidable. I usually try to walk it off first, for some reason that can help. But once the slime starts, it is generally coming up in my case. Unless it is a true PB (productive burp) where I am not really stuck and sliming yet, and just burp up a mouthful of stuff, I have time to get to a bathroom.

A couple of notes for public toilets. Put a seat protector in the Water first, that will prevent backsplash. I have been hit in the eye before. Totally gross! Also be very wary of auto-flush toilets! I was stuck on shrimp, too, when I got a free face shower thanks to auto-flush at a PF Changs restaurant.

Over time, I've gotten to where I can urp pretty quietly and quickly, so I don't worry too much about being in public.

re: "What the hell happens if I am in work or worse yet in a restuarant?!! What do you do? "

there are 2 kinds of Bandsters.....those who have PB'd......and those who haven't....yet.....

You'll learn how to handle it, usually there is some slight warning. The 'soft stop' used to be a term we used to identify the 'early warning: your pouch is FULL so quit eating NOW dummy'.....for slow learners such as myself, who initially ignored such, the "hard stop: yes you ARE stuck are you happy?" is an experience that teaches one to modify our eating behavior.

That kind of lesson can not really be transferred to another, it must be experienced first hand to have real meaning.

Another tip: despite how well you think you are doing otherwise, do NOT try to eat chicken and talk on the phone at the same time! Don't ask how I know this.

Almost all my PBs were resultant from my own hard headed 'Errors of Eating' that took a while to retrain to Bandster style needs.

My very first REAL 'stuck' episode was with the small triscuits...a favorite snack I was able to gradually reintroduce about 8 weeks postOp....only somehow I managed to try to chew 2 or 3 at the same time....

Yes, leaning over the sink, trying to decide whether to call 911 or my surgeon's office. Fortunately one of his secretaries was about 4 months postOp and gave me some first hand tips.

Learn how to nibble. Learn how to chew VERY Well. Nibble-->chew VERY well...to the point of slurry....THEN carefully swallow.

It took me about 10 minutes at first to eat a saltine.

Exercise:

Nibble---chew---->nibble nibble--->>>chew chewchew chew. Check for actual hunger signal and "WHY am I eating this now"....swallow carefully.

Go do something non-food related. Come back in 20 minutes. Check for 'hunger' vs 'sport eating' .....

cheers on your journey

sliming happens to me all the time... i guess i'm too dense to learn :rolleyes:

I'm 5 weeks post op... got my first fill this week. Fortunately I've been eating slowly so haven't had any issues...

Sliming isn't fun.. but it's another method the band uses to teach us to eat better.

Best of luck to yoU!!!

My first slime/stuck was at the county fair. I am NOT admitting to what I ate. But 'twas great fun sliming and carrying around wads of paper towels in hordes of people unsure of what was happening. Then it hit me...OMG...I am STUCK! You IDIOT!