Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friday Fun Thread ~ Weird Fears

Roving packs of Teenagers... That's pretty much all that scares me.

I guess it's better since I moved to TX - the kids are all so clean cut - but DANG. In Portland I used to fear for my life...

Lloyd Center was terrifying...

Spiders - If they leave me alone they get to live in peace. They eat other bugs. This is good, in my book.

Cows - ugly, stupid, by not scary.

Never really pondered the head in the toilette problem... It hasn't come up. And sharks haven't been a real concern since the 70's...

:]

I'm with you Dianechef on the no dangling the feet over the edge when sleeping....I get that same strange feeling.

My list would go on forever......(oh my Goodness!!!)

afraid of -

rats coming up the sewers and biting you in the behind while on the toilet. (I once saw something about that in New York - some silly show I watched).

ANY (and I repeat) ANY Scary Movie, story, etc......That's right - I have never seen them.....and I try to not pay attention to the commercials - cause they are sometimes too much for me.

The Boogy Man - that unknown monster that is out there going to get you......don't know what it looks like - but I'm afraid of it......(I know - that's crazy)

Universal Studios - scared the heck out of me......after freaking out on every ride all day - my girlfriend could not believe me. I wouldn't go in the Hitchcock Exhibit and when she wanted me to go see Beetlejuice Show there I told her no - I was already too freaked out from KING KONG and all the other crap - JAWS, etc. and she said "what the heck is wrong with Beetlejuice" and I told her they had monsters - and she smacked my arm laughing telling me Beetlejuice was a comedy - geez - i didn't know - I of course had steered clear of anything that even looked scary since I was a 7 or 8 year old......I could just not hang with the stuff.....I could never stop my imagination after the movie was over.

I'm afraid of mean people.

I have had so many fears over time - I once wrote this poem to perform one night because of my terrible fear of performing......

I have...

I have built up fears

fear of flight

fear of failure

fear of fights.

I have tried to surround myself

With safety...

No steps

No stones

No stars....

in my eyes.

I have found my

fortress crumbling

Breaking from within

My self the Hammer

My past the Haunt

My needs the Heart

that passes through the fear.

Stumbles without...

Safety

to find my very soul.

Fears have been closely tied with my weight struggle. I am sure many of you have had these same fears....

I always think stupid stuff -

like - am I going to get stuck in this elevator if I go on it?

Will that Big Truck lose it's cargo onto my head if I pass it?

If I hold my grandchild (newborn) I think I am surely going to drop her and than I think - how silly - why did I think that? Am I just warning myself to be on gaurd and to pay attention so I won't drop her. How nuts??????

Fears have at times crippled me and driven me at different times. Do you know what I mean?

I think fear is good in some ways it makes us know that we are alive and that we are truly minute energies in this vast array of existence that we share with so many many life forces.

That being said - I could do without it sometimes......

like when my heart is racing cause I have been permanently scarred from watching such things in my childhood as

The movie "The Birds" (my older male cousin watched it one night while he was babysitting us - I don't think I've ever gotten over it).

The dreaded memory......DARK SHADOWS - Barnabas, Angelique, The Werewolf......this is where I lost all touch with reality....I was so sure the vampire bat was going to come and get me.

That's why everyone who knows me tells me I am a scaredy cat....cause I am.

Sorry for rambling - you just touched on a real subject for me....FEARS - especially irrational ones......yep - I know them well.

Nancy

I'm afraid of snakes in the toilet! I saw one of those shows & there was this man who sat on the toilet & a snake tried to eat his ganuggets! I think he was in Guam (sp?). Not that I have4 ganuggets, but still!

I have to be completely covered up at night because my MIL told me she had a ghost lay on top of her one night while she was in bed & home alone, & when she rolled over there was nothing there (she lived in an old farm house). At least she thought it was a ghost. She didn't have any other explanation for it (Budweiser maybe). But I'm not taking any chances!

Panthers! I live in the boon docks & when I was a little girl I was with my Dad at deer camp & I heard one scream. I have been frightened ever since! I will not go outside at night without my dogs or a gun! I'm really not crazy! I live way back in the woods on a mountain. I'm not taking chances!

I have specific fears for specific locations, for instance, my mother's house used to be my Gramma's summer house. She always had the twin beds in the "yellow room" pushed up close together. My sister and I would jump on the beds and the goal was to not fall inbetween the beds because the alligator would eat you. I no longer jump on beds, but I won't walk between twin beds that are pushed together too closely, either!

Another weird fear is whenever I go to lock a door, I am always sure to flip the lock really quickly, so that whoever (mad man, axe murderer, crazy person who wants to murder me, etc) can't have even a half a second to push the door open before I get that sucker locked! Makes my heart beat fast just thinking about it. Same with window shades......always someone lurking about in the shadows.....(of my mind!)

I usually get in bed from a weird angle, i.e. toward the end of the bed so that the "ankle grabber" can't reach me.

I think this even tho I know there is NOTHING under my bed--not even boxes or out of season clothes--I keep it that way so I can CHECK!

I am a mess.

Oh, I just read some of the previous posts---

I was sooo afraid of that King Kong thing at Universal studios, too! I mean, you go in knowing it's all fake, but waiting in line, those CNN type news people get you just whipped into an anxious ridden state! By the time that damn ape appeared I was ready to have a heart attack!

I am petrified of tidal waves, always have been. I am half an hr from the beach but still petrified when I am anywhere near one that a tidal wave will come. I am not too fond of the dark either.

you all watch to much tv ROFL

The only thing I fear is sitting in a meeting and having my stomach growl really loud.... althought its not really my tummy, more like my intestins rumbling...

I hate bugs, I mean hate them and I do fear a big ol spider in the house.

Had to laugh when I read the ones about something in the toilet biting you...when I was first married (25 years ago) we living in the second small house on a farm. One day I came home from work and went to use the toilet and when I lifted the lid, there was a rat swimming in it!! He swam back down and disappeared, but I screamed loud enough to wake the dead. According to our landlord, there was so much corn stored on the farm that there were a lot of rats...couldn't explain how it got in the toilet, tho!

We moved as soon as possible after that!!!! But I've always been glad I looked before sitting! I do still have fears about something similar happening...

Emily

When I was little I found a spider in the toilet. I still look before I take a seat.

I am always afraid of scary movies, and the commercials on TV freak me out. After I watched 'the ring', I sat in my room and stared at the floor while thinking about it. I couldn't sleep for about a week. Then I made the mistake of letting my ex talk me into seeing 'the ring 2' at the movies... another sleepless week.

I am also afraid of ghosts, spiders, roaches, basements, mirrors, and overall just evil stuff.

I absolutely love sleeping if there is lots of people around, I feel so safe and sleep like a baby. I hate sleeping when I'm home alone.

On the flip side...I love ghosts, spiders, and dark places.....I LOVE Scary movies, scarey places, the foggier the better~~cemetaries on a fall night eeeewwwee~~~ Full moons are beautiful to look at~~ And bats taking flight at night are amazing to me....They never bump into each other~~and yet humans cant even walk in a mall together~~ humm???

Ok, I guess I am the only one, but I will admit it anyway. I am totally petrified of clowns. My uncle and his wife do volunteer work for a childrens hospital as you guessed it...clowns. He is my fave uncle but I am soooo affraid of him in his clown suit. I have always had this fear, but it got much worse when we moved to Chicago almost 12 years ago. I think John Wayne Gacy did it for me, he said that everyone trust a clown because you can't see what is really under the makeup. SCARY!!! :) My little one is totally affraid of spiders... :) ~Mandy

Okay, I have to admit. I'm afraid of trees at night. Like they are going to attack me. Hey it happens, I saw The Wizard of Oz you know....