Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Week of May 23rd - 27th, 2011

I can't find any Protein drinks that don't make me want to puke. They are either to thick or taste horrible. I didn't seem to mind some of the brands before my surgery. Also, I am having a hard time getting enough Water in. I know I'm supposed to sip it slowly all day. But, at the end of the day I only have probably 1 to 2 glasses. Help!!!

Use Carnation Instant Breakfats and mix in a blender with skim milk (I add 1/2 scoop of injury to boost the protein) You could add fruit to the shakes to increase protein-do your research. I also add a little Splenda to sweeten it up. Blend with some ice and it is delicious. GNC also has Totally Lean 8oz Protein Shakes (it's new) and it's 170 calories with 25 grams of Protein. It is not think and doesn't have an after taste-the best I have found. GNC also has an excellent return policy. If you don't likeit-bring it back.

For water-I advise you to purchase a contained that holds 32oz of liquid with a pop up top (like Water bottles have). Fille 1/2 the container with ice cubes and the other hald with water. Leave a little room to add some of your favorite juice. Basically you are making a favored water. You can add pear juice, apple juice, etc.

Also Crystal light is great in water and it's decaf! When you are done the bottle at least you have 32 ozs inyou and the rest should be easy!

Good luck!

I can't find any Protein drinks that don't make me want to puke. They are either to thick or taste horrible. I didn't seem to mind some of the brands before my surgery. Also, I am having a hard time getting enough Water in. I know I'm supposed to sip it slowly all day. But, at the end of the day I only have probably 1 to 2 glasses. Help!!!

Maybe try adding more skim milk to the chocolate Protein Drink. It "mellows" out the chocolate, and the milk adds Protein, too.

Good luck to you!

Use Carnation Instant Breakfats and mix in a blender with skim milk (I add 1/2 scoop of injury to boost the protein) You could add fruit to the shakes to increase protein-do your research. I also add a little Splenda to sweeten it up. Blend with some ice and it is delicious. GNC also has Totally Lean 8oz Protein shakes (it's new) and it's 170 calories with 25 grams of Protein. It is not think and doesn't have an after taste-the best I have found. GNC also has an excellent return policy. If you don't likeit-bring it back.

For water-I advise you to purchase a contained that holds 32oz of liquid with a pop up top (like Water bottles have). Fille 1/2 the container with ice cubes and the other hald with Water. Leave a little room to add some of your favorite juice. Basically you are making a favored water. You can add pear juice, apple juice, etc.

Also Crystal light is great in water and it's decaf! When you are done the bottle at least you have 32 ozs inyou and the rest should be easy!

Good luck!

Hello, I live in Arkansas and was banded May 26th - I had a hernia repair as well. It's so interesting to see the variety of experiences from people all around the world. I must say it's been hell - I've really had second thoughts about what I've done - but it is getting better - I wrote another post about all my problems so I will not repeat them here. I've lost 38 pounds since the pre diet began on May 12th. An amazing amount of weight! My clothes do not fit, thankfully I have many sizes to choose from in my closet. Yesterday I had to go buy all new underwear- what a happy day! Yesterday I kept down 20 oz of gatorade for the first time since surgery. looking forward to real food but taking it very slow today. Has anyone else noticed how much food is a part of everything - television, social activities and just driving down the road seeing the signs. Until I was unable to eat it all I had never noticed this. I am not hungry but a pizza sounds so wonderful-the thought of that hot cheese makes my mouth Water.< /span>

Banded on 23rd.

First day of "Mushees" had Cream of Wheat with a scoop of Protein powder for Breakfast and mixed with Low Fat Milk...

For dinner Talapia Baked in a foil wrap and then pureed with Mashed potatoes.

It went well, no problems!

How much cream of wheat, and how much talapia did you consume? My dr. is keeping me to 2 oz. per meal this week, 3 oz next week, and finally, a half cup the following week. I was fine on the Protein Drink period, but now that I am adding in real food, I have to use good ol' fashioned will power to not eat more than 2 oz.

How much cream of wheat, and how much talapia did you consume? My dr. is keeping me to 2 oz. per meal this week, 3 oz next week, and finally, a half cup the following week. I was fine on the Protein drink period, but now that I am adding in real food, I have to use good ol' fashioned will power to not eat more than 2 oz.

my doctor had me only having 1-2oz the first two days, but after that, I have been able to have 'mini meals' which (for me) range from 2.5 to 6oz depending on how I'm feeling and what it is. it's interesting to hear how different doctors recommend different things.

my doctor had me only having 1-2oz the first two days, but after that, I have been able to have 'mini meals' which (for me) range from 2.5 to 6oz depending on how I'm feeling and what it is. it's interesting to hear how different doctors recommend different things.

Interesting. Thanks. You're right. There are so many approaches. I'm going to a support meeting tomorrow night through my doctor's office. I'll ask if there have been any studies showing which "protocal" regarding eating graduations work best.

Looks like you are doing great. Keep up the good work!

Hello everyone...I'm new to this so any and all info is greatly appreciated! I had my surgery on 5/27 @ 10 am, I was there until about 3. I'm on week 2 and going back to work this Mon. I'm walking around fine, no pain, everything is good! I'm kind of anxious to get my first fill. I wish everyone the best on their journey. Question....how do you make a picture your profile pic? Can't figure it?

Hi Everyone! I'm Paula..

I was banded on the 25th and was on a liquid only , 800 calorie diet for two weeks prior to surgery. Surgery was horrid. I was outpatient (total drive thru), had breathing problems and then had OMGosh pain afterwords for a solid week. Gas pains were minimal but the muscle that the port is sewn into?!?!?! WOW. I thought I was going to die every time I moved I had searing pain. I downed my little bottle of liquid vicodin (and I hate pain meds) by Sunday and was begging my doc to refill it. He just told me to go to the ER. ER couldn't find anything wrong and when I followed up with him on Thursday (a week and a day out), he informed me he was leaving the area (he told my husband this after my surgery and I had forgotten) and would be returning ONCE PER MONTH for fills but I can always drive three hours south if I need a fill or need some removed!!!! UGH. So not only did my pain get blahhhhhed over (he basically told me that I'd get over it and more narcotics weren't the answer... made me feel like I was some druggie looking for a fix) and left me wondering WTH I was going to do for fills. THAT NIGHTMARE aside,

So far I am doing okay. Not hungry thanks to that pre-op diet. That diet made me go thru all my crabby 'must have food now" phases pre op so now I really have to push myself to get all my Protein and calories in. I may have hated every minute of that pre- op diet, but I'm LOVING it now.

I've dropped three pants sizes, two shirts and two bra sizes (okay, not real happy about that part) and 20 pounds. I surely can't complain now. I do have some restriction when I eat mushies. I can eat about a half cup of food at a time before I feel full..

My doc leaves his office next week after my next follow up. I won't be getting a fill as I'm not on solids, but I am worried about fills starting since he only comes once a month and him being so far away. I think I'm going to have to find another doc.

Glad we all survived!!!!

Hi Everyone! I'm Paula..

I was banded on the 25th and was on a liquid only , 800 calorie diet for two weeks prior to surgery. Surgery was horrid. I was outpatient (total drive thru), had breathing problems and then had OMGosh pain afterwords for a solid week. Gas pains were minimal but the muscle that the port is sewn into?!?!?! WOW. I thought I was going to die every time I moved I had searing pain. I downed my little bottle of liquid vicodin (and I hate pain meds) by Sunday and was begging my doc to refill it. He just told me to go to the ER. ER couldn't find anything wrong and when I followed up with him on Thursday (a week and a day out), he informed me he was leaving the area (he told my husband this after my surgery and I had forgotten) and would be returning ONCE PER MONTH for fills but I can always drive three hours south if I need a fill or need some removed!!!! UGH. So not only did my pain get blahhhhhed over (he basically told me that I'd get over it and more narcotics weren't the answer... made me feel like I was some druggie looking for a fix) and left me wondering WTH I was going to do for fills. THAT NIGHTMARE aside,

So far I am doing okay. Not hungry thanks to that pre-op diet. That diet made me go thru all my crabby 'must have food now" phases pre op so now I really have to push myself to get all my Protein and calories in. I may have hated every minute of that pre- op diet, but I'm LOVING it now.

I've dropped three pants sizes, two shirts and two bra sizes (okay, not real happy about that part) and 20 pounds. I surely can't complain now. I do have some restriction when I eat mushies. I can eat about a half cup of food at a time before I feel full..

My doc leaves his office next week after my next follow up. I won't be getting a fill as I'm not on solids, but I am worried about fills starting since he only comes once a month and him being so far away. I think I'm going to have to find another doc.

Glad we all survived!!!!

Wow! What an ordeal! But look how good you are doing now! Congrats! But your doc still sounds like a meanie, and I would change if I were you, even if he wasn't leaving town!

Continued success!

I had one packet of cream of wheat.. It went down well...

It was 3 oz of talapia and 4 oz of mashed potatoes and eating slowly, went well... It seems that with mushies I am not that restricted, but just having the food did satisfy me.

Today I made a can salman puree, with a can of peas and carrots, light ranch dressing and curry powder. pureed in the magic bullet. It was 6 oz can of Sockeye Salman from costco and a 1-cup can of vegies. about 2 tablespoons of dressing. After pureed, I divided it into 3 servings. Had once just now for lunch and will have one other as dinner.

How much cream of wheat, and how much talapia did you consume? My dr. is keeping me to 2 oz. per meal this week, 3 oz next week, and finally, a half cup the following week. I was fine on the Protein drink period, but now that I am adding in real food, I have to use good ol' fashioned will power to not eat more than 2 oz.

I had one packet of cream of wheat.. It went down well...

It was 3 oz of talapia and 4 oz of mashed potatoes and eating slowly, went well... It seems that with mushies I am not that restricted, but just having the food did satisfy me.

Today I made a can salman puree, with a can of peas and carrots, light ranch dressing and curry powder. pureed in the magic bullet. It was 6 oz can of Sockeye Salman from costco and a 1-cup can of vegies. about 2 tablespoons of dressing. After pureed, I divided it into 3 servings. Had once just now for lunch and will have one other as dinner.

Thanks for the info, and the yummy recipe! I'm definitely going to ask about the portion reasoning at my 1st support meeting tonight!

Keep up the good work! And keep those great recipes coming! :-)

Hi May Bandsters -

Okay, so now it's July and we've all been banded for either a month or a month and a half, depending on your date. How is everyone doing? I've only lost 17 lbs since the surgery and most of that was in the first week. I had my first fill on 6/23 and lost 3 lbs immediately after that, but I think that was most due to being on liquids and mushies for two days afterward, and the fact that I had just started my period and I always lose a few pounds after I finally start. I haven't lost anything since that and I feel like I barely eat anything! So....I can't decide whether my band is too full, or not full enough. On one hand I can eat very little at one time, but on the other, I get VERY hungry after only two hours. What do you guys think? My doctor recommends getting a fill every 2 weeks for the first 3 fills, but I'm reading here that most people get fills only once a month in the beginning.

I know this was a lot of questions, but I'd love to have everyone's input and opinions!

Thanks!