Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I havent heard anything good about the benefits of diet soda. I just chose to ignore it and drink 4-5 per day in my former life. And I remember sitting in the office listening to my surgeon tell me no carbonation and that included diet coke and I was sure my life was over. LOL Of course now we know otherwise and somehow I managed to live on since last December.

I am not a beer drinker... never was. However my favorite adult beverage is mixed with Diet coke... so the temptation for a nice jamaican rum and diet coke is long gone. I found Citron Vodka and Water with a splash of cranberry is pretty tasty... but if I finish one I look a little too loopy for my own good. LOL

Just use more rum than diet coke and you are good to go!!wink.gif

I am at the 3 month mark myself and the first month I was eating more than ever, even bread that I had cut back on years ago! After reading all the posts it seem normal. Fortunately I've cut back.

This is why I LOVE these forums!

You're never alone with people here who have gone before you, and those who are going along with you...

I started the process yesterday, and will start my 6 month monitored diet June 7...I won't have the Lap Band until December, probably January, because many of the doctors take the last 2 weeks off in December for the holidays...

And I'm already feeling "break up" pangs for all the foods I love too much (my rear end also has fond affection for bread!). It's REALLY hard at the moment not to eat non-stop Pasta, rice, ice cream, bread machine bread, and who knows what all else...I feel like I need to eat it all now before I start the diet and before the Lap Band, because then I'll never be able to enjoy it ever again!!! I, too grew up with food as a solace, companion, friend, hobby, and comfort. Homemade noodles were my staple growing up...

But then I realize that

1. It's because of bread and its snarky, starchy, friends that I currently feel like an overstuffed sausage with my skin feeling like a t-shirt that is 2 sizes too small;

2. Once I learn how to eat properly (meaning not until I'm so full I can't swallow another bite), I will occasionally be able to eat just about anything in MODERATION (even if it is only a bite or two); and

3. I'll miss bread and its minions MUCH less when I'm wearing clothes that actually have some styling to them (rather than the "giant Hefty trash bag" shape) and some actual shape to me (instead of the large "flesh dumpling" that I currently look like)...

Yeah, I'm going through the panic and fear moments, too. It'll probably get worse before it gets better, but it WILL get better. It's just always scary when you make a serious commitment that you know you need to honor for the rest of your life. I was like this before I got married, too...And goodness knows, the Lap Band IS one of those 'til death do you part-type of commitments...

So hang in there, Blonde. We're all with ya and behind ya!

So I will begin by saying that I am new here even though I have been reading this forum for months. I didn't want to join just to "jinx" myself so I waited.

This past week has been the biggest emotional roller coaster for me. I submited to insurance Monday morning and by Tuesday I viewed my insurance website to see I had been instantly denied for the surgery. I reached out to my Dr's office who said they would contact them to find out whats going on. I decided that I was going to the bank to see if I could get a loan for the surgery amount because no way did I just work this hard to be told no. After I was laughed at and made to feel like a completely worthless human being from the loan officer because "why would she give someone like me a $12000 loan when I don't own a home and my car is not paid off" ...Needless to say i went home and cried my eyes out in bed feeling completely defeated and hopeless....

So yesterday was my 24th birthday the entire day was rough...I cried alot and didn't really feel like the day was going to get better until 5:31pm...The Insurance case worker for my Drs called and explained that she was informed that today was my birthday and wanted to wish me a Happy Birthday (At this point I wanted to tell her to shove it and not call back). Then she asked if I had recieved some awesome birthday presents and offered another to me... She told me I was approved and the insurance had made a mistake. At this point I'm sure you can guess...Yup I cried AGAIN!

So now I wait till monday to Schedule my Surgery date which I am hoping is the week of June the 13th more specific I would really like the 16th but its not really my decision in the end....HOWEVER

Now that I have gone through the "Hot Mess" of emotions for the past 3 days I am starting to feel a new one... Aniexty

Here is my basic thought...I really love bread and I know the psych I've been going to says I will be able to work through all these emotions but I mean I really love bread ( My rear end throughly agrees as well)

I'm having so much anxiety about losing food. Is this normal? I know breaking up with food is part of the stages of grief for this surgery and I know I can do it...I just feel so sad about it..you know?

So I guess for this post I have 2 questions....

Is this normal to feel aniexty about losing a food?

AND

What food is hard for you to break up with?

~~Blonde~~

I completely understand, this is so emotional. I was waiting for my call from my surgeon to get he okay. So I called on Wed, because I couldn't wait until Friday to find out if the auth and gone through. The process was stopped because my doctor sent the referral to a different doctor, some guy I have briefly heard about, but only does bypass. So then my doctor would not fax the referral so that it could be approved. The nurse was yelling at me, I started bawling, After talking to the surgeon 3x, the insurance company2x and the dr. office 3x, i am still at no choice but to have another appointment with my doctor to get a referral to my surgeon. Here is the thing b/c they sent the referral to the wrong doctor and will not fax it in for me I have to pay out of my pocket the money for the consult. I am disgusted. I can't change doctors until I get the referral and the date set. So yeah I would be on my pre op diet and counting down the days... So I am glad I wasn't the only person bawling.

About the food, yes..yes.. like I will cook dinner and tell myself this will be the last time I can ever eat this .... or I better buy this I might not be able to eat it again. I think I am a little worried b/c I work nights and so I have little Snacks to stay awake. ( I know that is pathetic). My biggest fear is everyone says you can have sugar free things. Well if I eat Nutrasweet or aspartame i get a terrible headache like almost instantly.. These two ingredients are in almost all sugar free options. I am thinking I will have to deal with the headaches.

Another thing I am concerned about is cooking dinner for my kids. I am always tasting, will I be able to do that anymore?

I am glad things are going your way, you will have a wonderful journey!

Your feelings are perfectly normal. I was so freaked out by the thought of losing some foods, I actually gained about 25-30 lbs before I was approved for surgery (I had to do the 6 month waiting game before my paperwork could be submitted). I just kept thinking about so many things I would have to part with, so I ate like a fool. I was sad and nervous about "breaking up" with my favorite foods, but you know what? It's not that big of a deal. I couldn't eat bread for a while and I didn't really care. I am just focused on my body getting healthier and the scale moving down.

You may also be surprised by what you might be able to eat. I can eat just about anything. I just have to make sure chicken is not too dry and bread can't be too thick or doughy. I also have to watch out for potatoes. Sometimes they go down fine, but sometimes they feel like a brick in my chest. The band restriction fluctuates for me sometimes. I've only had 1 fill so I don't have a lot of restriction, but I like it that way. It allows me to eat a variety of foods.

I can't tell you not to feel anxious, because you will anyway. Just remember that your feelings are normal and you might have to "break up" with as many foods as you think. You will just have to break up with the portion sizes.

I wish you good luck with your surgery and the journey ahead. Please keep us posted.

Hi,

I am scheduled to be banded this Wednesday the 25th. I have been thinking about "breaking up with bread" as well so I decided to read these posts. I really am glad you shared the fact that you gained weight in the 6 months you were waiting for approval because I did the exact same thing. I gained 30 lbs. because I had 6 months of "last meals". I am on my pre-op diet now and I feel fantastic! I am absolutely fine without bread and I am ready to look the way I feel :)

A <3

Hi,

I am scheduled to be banded this Wednesday the 25th. I have been thinking about "breaking up with bread" as well so I decided to read these posts. I really am glad you shared the fact that you gained weight in the 6 months you were waiting for approval because I did the exact same thing. I gained 30 lbs. because I had 6 months of "last meals". I am on my pre-op diet now and I feel fantastic! I am absolutely fine without bread and I am ready to look the way I feel :)

A <3

I am so glad my post helped you. I was always so embarrassed by the fact I gained weight before the surgery, but it happended and I guess it's what I had to go through. I ate everything in site, but I learned from it and got past it. I only talk about it now because I want others to see they are not alone like I thought I was. I still have a long way to go, but I already feel so much better about how I look and feel. I wish you the same success on your journey. Please let me know how it goes.

After my 1st meeting with the nutritionist and she told me all the things I couldn't do- I got up and said No Thank You! Luckily I have a great Dr. and his assistant that call me the same day and talked me through it! Lets see? the foods I'll miss the most- When my husband and I go out to dinner it's always Chinese or Seafood buffets. We eat Pasta 3 times a week and fried chicken and steaks. My favorite part of a meal is dessert! I love love chewy candy like caramels and swedish fish.

A year ago my granddaughter knocked out my front teeth. Both upper and lower. so I know have a partial on the bottom and full denture on the top. I had to learn to cut my food up in little pieces. No more chewy candy!

I put a picture of my mom on the wall to remind me why I need to do this. I watched her lose a toe to diabetes. her blood wouldn't clot so a week later she lost her foot. That didn't clot, so 2 weeks later she lost her leg above the knee. After all that, 6 months later she had a diabetic stroke and was in a coma for 10 days before she died. So I want to do this for me so I don't go through what my mom did.

pizza is the hardest to give up.

I've slowly given up soda and coffee and started drinking Protein Shakes for Breakfast. I'm getting psyched, but still cheating.

Good Luck!

About the food, yes..yes.. like I will cook dinner and tell myself this will be the last time I can ever eat this .... or I better buy this I might not be able to eat it again. I think I am a little worried b/c I work nights and so I have little Snacks to stay awake. ( I know that is pathetic). My biggest fear is everyone says you can have sugar free things. Well if I eat Nutrasweet or aspartame i get a terrible headache like almost instantly.. These two ingredients are in almost all sugar free options. I am thinking I will have to deal with the headaches.

Another thing I am concerned about is cooking dinner for my kids. I am always tasting, will I be able to do that anymore?

I am glad things are going your way, you will have a wonderful journey!

I do no sugar-free anything. People do sugar-free Jello and popsicles for the immediate post-op phases as they are Clear Liquids. I chose not to. Actually I hate Jello sugar or sugar-free. My surgeon says that aspartame has an appetite stimulant aspect to it. So thanks but no thanks. If I want something sweet, I'll take the fully loaded variety, have less, and work it into my daily plan.

My question to you about cooking dinner is why are you tasting? Are you afraid you are going to poison your kids? rolleyes.gif Are the bites so large that the calories are adding substantial amounts? If so, then you need to count that into your daily totals. You can taste for spice content without taking a big bite. Are you truly doing it for cooking purposes? Or eating purposes?

Needing Snacks to stay awake...well, you can work this out. Depending on your surgeon's orders, of course. Mine says eating between meals is fine as long as it is nutritious food that is planned into my overall day's plan. What he doesn't want me doing is brainlessly eating.

My point to all this is to not go looking for reasons or excuses to fail before you even begin. Each of us has to find the best way to make the band work for us. We CAN do it!! cool.gif Also, please don't get into the Last Supper Syndrome. That can lead to extra pounds you will have to lose. You will still be able to eat your favorite foods. There might be a few things that you cannot tolerate. But overall, my food life hasn't changed significantly. It has been a gradual shift, all for the better. And sooooooo worth it!

Ok so I have to ask...Sex life wise...I know that for woman it is so much more emotional than physical but I'm really hoping it will not only help with feeling sexy but also making me want to have it more often not just because I feel better but because I want to keep up with my man.

Is there studies that prove losing weight will increase your sex drive? Beyond the mental issues we woman face?

For all of you that have replied with amazing support thank you so much! You ever know that you can and will be able to do something or let go but you still question losing it...that's where I am!

So I will continue to enjoy my bread for the next few weeks and hope that I can enjoy it again during my "second Life" just not as much!

I have not been banded yet, but i have lost from 315 to 240on my own. Sex is better, you feel more like having it, and your more confident doing it. At least that is how it worked for me. I to have one that is har dto keep up with!!!!!!!!!