Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved!! Now need some Words of Wisdom...

I got my insurance approval yesterday and I am scheduled for surgery next Tuesday....May 24th! So many emotions are flowing right now....excitement, nervousness, anxiety. When I went to my seminar in December and was told this was a 6 moth process, I almost died. Now, I am 50 lbs lighter going into surgery and so much more knowledgeable. I am thankful for the 6 months I had to do!

I need some pre-op Words of Wisdom...any tips, advice, etc...

Also, what did everyone use to clean their belly area before surgery?!?!

Thanks so much :o) !

I didn't use anything special to clean my belly- they do that before they cut. I was just told no lotions or creams, only deodorant, no make-up.

I think if you had the discipline to lose 50 before the surgery, you'll do great afterwards :) Make sure you have a heating pad waiting for you at home, it really helped me with the incision pain and gas pain after surgery. You will feel weak and sluggish for a couple of weeks, then you'll start to perk up.

I was told to use unscented antibacterial soap starting a few days before the surgery. I don't think this is required but recommended by some.

I also have mine the 24th at 10:30! Yay :) I also thought the 6 months would be horrid...but it's been a great time to work through some things and adapt to this new lifestyle.

Congrats to you! You are on your way, how exciting!

Did you have to do the 6 month weigh in for insurance approval? And if so, how long after your last weigh in

did it take for you to get your approval letter?

I just went to my first seminar and got the ball rolling 2 weeks ago.

Thanks and good luck!

Keep us all posted...

Janet

I got my insurance approval yesterday and I am scheduled for surgery next Tuesday....May 24th! So many emotions are flowing right now....excitement, nervousness, anxiety. When I went to my seminar in December and was told this was a 6 moth process, I almost died. Now, I am 50 lbs lighter going into surgery and so much more knowledgeable. I am thankful for the 6 months I had to do!

I need some pre-op Words of Wisdom...any tips, advice, etc...

Also, what did everyone use to clean their belly area before surgery?!?!

Thanks so much :o) !

Wow! 50 lbs pre-surgery is awesome!

I haven't gotten my lap band yet, but I don't think you need to worry about cleaning your own stomach prior to surgery. They will do that when you are on the table. I've had two c-sections and a laproscopic apendectomy, and I've never needed to worry about cleaning my own stomach.

Best wishes!

50 pounds weight loss! that's awesome!!

I received my confirmation last week and my surgery date is May 31st!

I already pre-registered at the hospital last friday. The nurse gave me 2 antibacterial soaps. She said i was to use one the night before and another one on the morning of the surgery.

She also mentioned there is a real danger regarding Mersa.

I know everything will be great!!!

Good luck!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you so much! I was required to do the 6 month pre-surgery weigh ins. I went to my seminar on December 15, 2010. Had my initial appt with the surgeon on December 15 and went to my family doctor to discuss what I needed him to help me do on December 16, which was my first of my 6 visits required. I then went once a month and on May 3 I had my last visit and weigh in. I then went to the surgeon's office on May 4...signed my papers, met with the nutritionist and they scheduled me for surgery on May 24. They submitted all of my info to the insurance on May 5 and I got my approval yesterday. I did everything I needed to do, never missed an appointment of any kind and I am almost six months to the day of when I started the process.

It may seem like a long time to wait and I was so disappointed when I found out about the 6 month process but know I am grateful for it!

Best of luck to you <3!

Congrats to you! You are on your way, how exciting!

Did you have to do the 6 month weigh in for insurance approval? And if so, how long after your last weigh in

did it take for you to get your approval letter?

I just went to my first seminar and got the ball rolling 2 weeks ago.

Thanks and good luck!

Keep us all posted...

Janet

I was told to use unscented antibacterial soap starting a few days before the surgery. I don't think this is required but recommended by some.

I also have mine the 24th at 10:30! Yay :) I also thought the 6 months would be horrid...but it's been a great time to work through some things and adapt to this new lifestyle.

Mine is at 10:00!!! I'll be looking for you on here to see how you did! Good luck!!! :)

Thank you all so much!!!

The reason I asked about cleaning the belly is that they told me to use an anti-bacterial before the surgery, but I saw on here a while ago people mentioning a certain product.

They will usually give you soap at your pre-op to use the night before/morning of surgery.

Good luck!!

I was told about 1 week before surgery to start washing my belly with a anti-bacterial soap to kill the cooties before surgery. Then of course they clean you up with Beta dine. But it is good to get a jump on it and avoid infections like staph. , witch can easily be picked up in a Hospital.

Just go to your Pharmacist and ask for HIBICLENS.

It's Great stuff to have around.

I also used it before I had both knees replaced, and I never picked up a infection.

Shirley.

Just realized you responded to that...Mine is also at 10 tomorrow! I'm leaving here at 6:30am (have to be there at 10:30 and I live outta town):D

Mine is at 10:00!!! I'll be looking for you on here to see how you did! Good luck!!! :)